z

Young Writers Society

Heads Up About Things Happening in June

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Sat May 28, 2011 9:05 pm
View Likes
Nate says...

A few different things will be happening in June that'll change how YWS operates, albeit only in very small ways.

Leaderboards Changes

Beginning in June, the Leaderboards will be based on points earned rather than reviews posted. The hope is that this will lead to more time spent on each review.

Review Teams

We will not be continuing the month-long Review Team competition that began this month (May 2011). While Review Teams led initially to a lot more reviews, they are now actually discouraging reviews.

However, this does not mean Review Teams will be ending for good. They seem to work very well in short bursts so from now on, we will have Review Teams on every Review Day. You'll be able to sign up for Review Teams 72 hours prior to the Review Day, and each Review Team will have the opportunity to vote on a captain.

Also, I'll be gone

I will be gone for the bulk of June, either working on another project of mine (WriterFeed) or backpacking in California. So please direct any PMs to a JM, moderator, or another admin. If it's something that requires my attention, they know how to get a hold of me.

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Sat May 28, 2011 9:14 pm
View Likes
Rydia says...

Have an amazing month in California, Nate! I envy you, really I do and try not to work too hard, yeah? It sounds like a fun place to take a break and yours is well earned.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

531 Reviews

Reviews: 531
Sun May 29, 2011 2:51 am
View Likes
Caligula's Launderette says...

Have an amazing time in my home state, Nate. Are you going to Yosemite? If you are, I'm super jealous, and I know you'll have loads of fun.

:P

I second Kitty, you've totally earned this.
Fraser: Stop stealing the blanket.
[Diefenbaker whines]
Fraser: You're an Arctic Wolf, for God's sake.
(Due South)

Hatter: Do I need a reason to help a pretty girl in a very wet dress? (Alice)

Got YWS?

253 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 253
Sun May 29, 2011 4:51 am
View Likes
RacheDrache says...

Nooo, don't go to Yosemite. While Yosemite is gorgeous and definitely worth seeing, it is overrun with tourists and people who think they are "so cool" for "getting in touch with nature" as they attempt to hike Half Dome in flip-flops. Of course, on second thought, June might not be too bad because with the weather we've been having recently, I doubt the snow's gone yet, which means Yosemite might still be too cold in June to attract too many people. King's Canyon and Sequoia are the same way, though similarly gorgeous and deserving of being seen.

Though I imagine you already know where you're headed, so I'll shut up and wish you a fun trip no matter where you end up going instead.
I don't fangirl. I fandragon.

Have you thanked a teacher lately? You should. Their bladder control alone is legend.

763 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 763
Sun May 29, 2011 5:08 am
View Likes
Lava says...

Have fun in California!
~
Pretending in words was too tentative, too vulnerable, too embarrassing to let anyone know.
- Ian McEwan in Atonement

sachi: influencing others since GOD KNOWS WHEN.

504 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 504
Sun May 29, 2011 5:26 am
View Likes
Kafkaescence says...

I was just wondering if you ever get breaks. Have fun!
#TNT

WRFF

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sun May 29, 2011 5:33 am
View Likes
Snoink says...

Nate knows where to go to avoid people in Yosemite, no worries! ;)

Have fun! :)
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Sun May 29, 2011 3:19 pm
View Likes
Nate says...

Haha, while I appreciate the well-wishes, this topic is mainly so that people don't get confused when the leaderboards change and Review Teams disappear. Of course, seeing as how the description for this topic says "If you don't want to be confused, read this" and there are thus far only 74 views after 18 hours, I'm guessing a lot of people actually want to be confused.

In any case, I already did Yosemite a couple years ago. My friend and I did a great hike that's seldom traveled since the trail we started out on hasn't been on a Park map since the '70s. This time around, we're doing King's Canyon, although I'm still trying to find a good 4 to 5 day hike to do there. However, for most of June, I'll just be working on WriterFeed and trying to actually bring that to completion.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sun May 29, 2011 3:29 pm
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

Of course, seeing as how the description for this topic says "If you don't want to be confused, read this" and there are thus far only 74 views after 18 hours, I'm guessing a lot of people actually want to be confused.

Needs more Likes.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

922 Reviews

Reviews: 922
Sun May 29, 2011 5:44 pm
View Likes
GryphonFledgling says...

Nate wrote: they know how to get a hold of me.

I knew it.
I am reminded of the babe by you.

I didn't want to slow time, I just wanted to make a little rock.
— MomoMajesty's brother