z

Young Writers Society

Change to Leaderboards

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Wed May 04, 2011 1:22 am
View Likes
Nate says...

At the moment, the leaderboards are based on the number of reviews someone has done. This encourages people to review, but it also encourages short reviews that don't necessarily have much substance.

So I'm considering changing it to based on the amount of points someone has earned. That way, people are still recognized for reviewing but someone who makes two quality reviews will appear higher up on the leaderboards than someone who has made 6 poor reviews.

Before the change is made, I just wanted to get feedback on it. If you don't want the change, now is your time to say so!

336 Reviews

Reviews: 336
Wed May 04, 2011 1:26 am
View Likes
Jas says...

YES! Will it say though, like User X had X amount of points? Cus some points are gained from Greeting and some are given in contests and stuff. I really like this idea though. :D
I am nothing
but a mouthful of 'sorry's, half-hearted
apologies that roll of my tongue, smoothquick, like 'r's
or maybe like pocket candy
that's just a bit too sweet.

~*~

425 Reviews

Wed May 04, 2011 1:31 am
View Likes
Nate says...

That's a good question Jasmine. The only points that would count would be from reviewing; so all points would be review points.

336 Reviews

Reviews: 336
Wed May 04, 2011 1:37 am
View Likes
Jas says...

Ooh. Then it's a fabulous idea. ^_^
I am nothing
but a mouthful of 'sorry's, half-hearted
apologies that roll of my tongue, smoothquick, like 'r's
or maybe like pocket candy
that's just a bit too sweet.

~*~

126 Reviews

Reviews: 126
Wed May 04, 2011 1:47 am
View Likes
Mickixoxo says...

I love this idea! :3
If there's a 50/50 chance of getting something wrong go for it anyway because there is also a 50/50 chance of getting it right

I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity. ~Edgar Allen Poe

162 Reviews

Reviews: 162
Wed May 04, 2011 1:51 am
silentpages says...

I like this plan. :)
"Pay Attention. Pay Close Attention to everything, everything you see. Notice what no one else notices, and you'll know what no one else knows. What you get is what you get. What you do with what you get is more the point. -- Loris Harrow, City of Ember (Movie)

262 Reviews

Reviews: 262
Wed May 04, 2011 2:23 am
View Likes
ultraviolet says...

I like this idea. I think it would definitely encourage people who don't want to sacrifice quality reviews for quantity. :)
"Blah blah blah. You feel trapped in your life. Here is what I am hearing: happiness isn't worth any inconvenience."

~asofterworld.com

189 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 189
Wed May 04, 2011 12:54 pm
View Likes
tinny says...

How would it be calculated? I mean like, will changes in the points system effect people? When I first joined YWS points just accumulated, and then it was switched to them resetting every few weeks and used to help decide the featured member, and then when I came back from a long hiatus we were back to them accumulating again.
please grant me my small wish; (love me to the marrow of my bones)

675 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 675
Wed May 04, 2011 4:14 pm
View Likes
lilymoore says...

LTF makes a good point, especially with the option to use the points to purchase YWS goodies.
Never forget who you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armor yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.

270 Reviews

Reviews: 270
Wed May 04, 2011 4:18 pm
View Likes
fireheartedkaratepup says...

YES PLEASE.

Especially since that's how this contest works, anyway....
"Ok, Lolpup. You can be a girl worth fighting for."
--Pengu

482 Reviews

Reviews: 482
Wed May 04, 2011 4:25 pm
View Likes
Ranger Hawk says...

lilymoore wrote:LTF makes a good point, especially with the option to use the points to purchase YWS goodies.

Not to mention when you donate points to another user.
There are two kinds of folks who sit around thinking about how to kill people:
psychopaths and mystery writers.

I'm the kind that pays better.
~Rick Castle

425 Reviews

Wed May 04, 2011 8:00 pm
View Likes
Nate says...

As I said, only review points. The way the system would work is such that donated points, points you donated, deleted reviews, and what not would not be counted.

What happens is the server takes a look at all of the reviews you have done and then calculates the points based on that alone. So if you've done 15 reviews and those 15 reviews earned 500 points, then you'll show up in the leaderboards with 500 points regardless of what you've ended up doing with those points.

Edit

In an earlier version of this post, I forgot to include the word 'not', which is now bolded.

403 Reviews

Reviews: 403
Wed May 04, 2011 8:32 pm
View Likes
SmylinG says...

I think it's a good idea. It would be cooler if people got recognized for the amount of quality reviews they give versus just the amount itself.
Paul is my little, evil, yellow bundle of joy.

If I loved you less, I might be able to talk about it more.
— Jane Austen