z

Young Writers Society

Fanfiction Forum Added March 7, 2006

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:18 am
Nate says...

Added a fanfiction forum for those that have written stories written with their favorite characters from a tv show, a movie, or another book/play. I know there are some worries out there about possible grammatically vulgar fiction popping up, to which I say: shut up and press the back button ;)

Or you could just write a scathing review... In any case, the fanfiction forum is up and running. Now post something there 'cause I hate 0's!

Random avatar

Reviews: 1160
Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:21 am
Elizabeth says...

NO!!!
WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?!

AHH *Passion for writing dies and I baraccade my room to prevent me from reaching the computer and returning to the YWS and seeing the Fan Fiction Section*

*shivers* I never liked fan-fiction, it's all personal opinion perhaps.
Imagination DIES with it.
It's like a sandlot for the lonely imagination. Plus only people who know what the main story or whatever is will be able to really understand things in it... I mean with all character relations, places. Even with the explaining, which will in time get monotonus, I know I wouldn't get it. *Shivers again*
Last edited by Elizabeth on Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

425 Reviews

Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:31 am
Nate says...

TBR, do not spam the announcements forum. That post is inappropiate here. If you have a problem with the fanfiction forum, then take the time to calmly write out why.

Random avatar

Reviews: 1160
Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:34 am
Elizabeth says...

Fixed then.
Tried to delete it but I couldn't... so fixed it
Sorry

Elizabeth

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:47 am
Griffinkeeper says...

Fan-fiction might become really annoying really quick.

Then again, we might actually see some good stuff.

However, if I open the forum up tomorrow and see 20 new Harry Potter fan-fics, so help me! I'll review them all until the words fall right off the monitor!

So, yeah, I'm looking forward to what happens.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

614 Reviews

Reviews: 614
Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:52 am
Swires says...

Im not a big fanfic fan, mainly because it detracts from the original story because the writer will never do it in the novelists style. I also think that it is a bad idea because it desnt encourage imagination, people already havethe characters, the base plot and setting.

However alot of young writers like to write fanfic so I believe it is a good addition
Previously known as "Phorcys"
Witherwings Harry Potter RPG

863 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:21 am
Griffinkeeper says...

I actually disagree. Fan fictions are only horrible if the writers attempt to use the same characters as the original author did. I've read some Star Wars fan-fics that were of very good quality. While certain characters made cameos, the stories remained on the protagonist's character, which is a plus for me.

It is only when writers get lazy does a fan fiction go down the tubes, but this can happen in any area of writing. The only difference is that people are able to notice it more since they are already familiar with the world.

614 Reviews

Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:26 pm
View Likes
Swires says...

I still think fanfictions are unoriginal and have yet to read a good one yet, they simply dont compare with the original no matter how good the writer is. We'll agree to disagree.

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:43 pm
Areida says...

I've read some really great fanfics for Star Trek (bubbles got me onto that ;)) and Harry Potter. Of course, I've read terrible ones as well, and there are always the "OmG tHaT wuz byondd god!!!11 u tottalee nied to rite mor!!!1!111" reviews that make you want to gouge out your eyes just to escape the horror of it all.

But there are some written by older teenagers and adults that are very good. The really good ones that I've read use most of the original characters (occasionally mess up the characterization, but not anything terribly horrendous) with a couple of original characters thrown in.

I think the whole process has gotten a bad rep just because of the really awful ones out there. But it's like saying that all movies are bad because there are some truly awful, poorly-made movies out there. Generalizations... getcha every time...

So that's my very long-winded way of saying,

Cool. :D
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:21 pm
Snoink says...

Awesome possum! :D

It's kinda cool... YWS is the leading edge for writing forums for young adults! HUZZAH!
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

863 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:28 am
Griffinkeeper says...

Adam101 wrote:I still think fanfictions are unoriginal and have yet to read a good one yet, they simply dont compare with the original no matter how good the writer is. We'll agree to disagree.

Go to a library. Find a series (Star Wars, Battletech) and then tell me what you think.

You see, the stories that stick with us are those that have a world full of endless possibilities. Other writers shouldn't be excommunicated simply for writing in that forum. By giving us a new story from the same world, they would be doing what the original author may or may not have the time to put down on paper.

685 Reviews

Reviews: 685
Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:39 am
Rei says...

So true, so true! The writers who do the Star Wars and Star Trek novels are often award winners and best-sellers. I love Star Wars, but I wouldn't read the books if they weren't well done, and there was a time when I would constantly read them. It takes a lot ofskill to create a new story with the same characters and settings.
Please, sit down before you fall down.
Belloq, "Raiders of the Lost Ark"

614 Reviews

Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:42 am
View Likes
Swires says...

But in the end no matter how well written they are they cant possibley know about the canon characters as much as the real author, no the world they are in hence they will never be AS good as the original. Also 90% of them are sex stories which really sickens me. Its like this:

I think that writers should write more original stuff as opposed to Fanfiction, I just dont think it extends a writers ability. Infact this is giving me an idea.... check the contests forum

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:01 am
Snoink says...

I don't think this thread was meant for arguing... if you don't like it, you don't have to go there. End of story. And if it is about sex and that kind of thing offends or sickens you... well, it'll be rated appropriately, so just don't go clicking rated R stuff.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

425 Reviews

Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:48 pm
Nate says...

I don't know... judging by the most recent Star Wars movie, I would say Timothy Zahn has a much better handle on the Star Wars universe than George Lucas.

You sound like you're becoming emotionally involved with the custard.
— Nikki Morgan