z

Young Writers Society

How to Create a Novel

27 Reviews

Reviews: 27
Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:23 pm
EmilyofREL says...

So I post the second chapter as a new story? I clicked on my novel and can't find a add chapter function or anything.
Formerly EmilytheNovelist
REL stands for Rachel, Emily, Lauren, the initials of my triplet sisters and I
“I wish my stove came with a Save As button like Word has. That way I could experiment with my cooking and not fear ruining my dinner.
”

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1260
Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:27 pm
Elinor says...

Yep! Once you post the new chapter, there should be an option to add it to your project - as long as you keep it in the same board.

All our dreams can come true — if we have the courage to pursue them.

-- Walt Disney

89 Reviews

Reviews: 89
Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:56 pm
brassnbridle says...

So let me get this straight- to post it as a novel first we have to post each chapter in its forum? That stinks, as my novel's eighteen chapters long...
If there's a book you really want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it.~Toni Morrison

It is written in m life-blood, such as that is, thick or thin; I can do no other~ Tolkien

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:36 pm
Rosendorn says...

brassnbridle wrote:So let me get this straight- to post it as a novel first we have to post each chapter in its forum? That stinks, as my novel's eighteen chapters long...

Yep. However, you can create a club page for your novel (or writing in general) that lets you update people on your novel without actually creating one.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

50 Reviews

Reviews: 50
Sun May 29, 2011 2:42 am
iampaulop says...

hey how to review some works??
It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities

Paul Zione

482 Reviews

Reviews: 482
Sun May 29, 2011 3:06 pm
View Likes
Ranger Hawk says...

iampaulop wrote:hey how to review some works??

If I understand what you're asking, you can't review the entire novel in the Novel area; that's restricted to the Advanced Critiques forum. To review a novel's chapters, simply hit "Reply" on the topic you're reading. Here are some good guides to reviewing:

How to Write a Good Critique (By: Suzanne)
The YWS Critique Sandwich (By: Nate)
What isn't a Good Critique (By: Snoink)

PM me if you've got any questions. :]
There are two kinds of folks who sit around thinking about how to kill people:
psychopaths and mystery writers.

I'm the kind that pays better.
~Rick Castle

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:27 pm
LadyFreeWill says...

How do you delete a novel? Do you have to delete each individual chapter, one at a time?
Formerly TheScratchMan.

1272 Reviews

Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:08 pm
Rosendorn says...

From what I know it's not actually possible to delete a novel itself. You have to remove the text of all chapters (You can't remove the chapters themselves yet), delete the synopsis, edit notes... basically you have to just delete everything individually.

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

Reviews: 0
Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:34 pm
Selvetrica says...

ok im new and it wont let me post my next chapter that i need more points so i need to review how do i do that

1272 Reviews

Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:55 pm
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

Selvetrica wrote:ok im new and it wont let me post my next chapter that i need more points so i need to review how do i do that

Proper grammar, please!

In order to review, you have to give feedback on works you read! You do that by going to Discover Works and picking a genre you like, then clicking on that forum. Look for a few interesting titles and read them. Once you've read them, hit "reply" and start giving your thoughts. The more in-depth you can go, the better! Don't worry about being "right" or not in your comments, because in writing, everything is based on the reader's impression of the story. You, being the reader, should say every impression you can and try to explain where those impressions come from. Then, you've got a decent review!

How to Write a Good Critique is a good article on how to improve your reviews, as well. :)

102 Reviews

Reviews: 102
Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:04 pm
katngo73 says...

how do i add a second. third. etc. chapters?
“There’s no point in being grown up if you can’t act a little childish sometimes.”-The Fourth Doctor
"Who I was, what I did, that's not who I am." - Castiel
"Friends protect you." - John Watson

102 Reviews

Reviews: 102
Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:08 pm
katngo73 says...

i don't understand........ I'm adding my second chapter and it says that it is a new novel? i NEED HELP!!!
“There’s no point in being grown up if you can’t act a little childish sometimes.”-The Fourth Doctor
"Who I was, what I did, that's not who I am." - Castiel
"Friends protect you." - John Watson

541 Reviews

Reviews: 541
Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:43 am
Lauren2010 says...

Katngo: When you add another chapter, just add it to the novel forum as a regular literary work and there will be a prompt asking if it is part of an existing novel, and you just check which one. The only time you need to create a novel is for the first chapter.
Got YWS?

33 Reviews

Reviews: 33
Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:08 am
wtbh says...

I can't find that blue bar that's usually there. Is there possibly another way to submit my novel?

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:09 am
Kale says...

Is your post in the correct forum? The blue box only appears if the topic is in one of the novel subforums. If its not, just send one of us folks in green a PM, and we'll move it for you.
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

As I grow older, I pay less attention to what men say. I just watch what they do.
— Andrew Carnegie