How to Create a Novel

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1260
Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:53 pm
View Likes
Elinor says...

To Begin:

You will have to add the first chapter of the novel to the forums. To do this, go to the black bar on top of the screen and click 'submit'. From there, click the appropriate genre and post the first chapter of your work.

Alternatively, you can post the first chapter by going to Discover Works and then clicking All Literary Forums. There, you can scroll down to find the genre -- make sure you post in Novels, not Short Stories!

Creating Your Page:

1. Once the chapter is posted, there should be a blue bar on the upper right-hand side asking if this a new project you are working on. Hit yes and you'll be taken to a creation screen.

2. Type in a title and sure all parts of the story are labeled in the same way, with 'Chapter #" distinguishing them. For example, a novel entitled The Wind and the Sea would have the corresponding parts 'The Wind and the Sea Chapter 1', 'The Wind and the Sea Chapter 2' and so on.

3. Write a brief synopsis describing your novel in one or two sentences, and a plot description that can be as detailed or as short as you wish.

4.When you get to Step 2, you can pick a cover. Step 3 asks you to pick a color for the the title and, if you wish, a pen name and an extra phrase for the cover.

5. Step 4 verifies chapters to your project -- make sure you check everything you want to add. If there is something that is part of a different project you do not want, or for instance, want to remove chapters because they are rougher drafts, you can simply un-check the box next to that chapter.

Other Notes:

1. When all of that is finished, you will have your novel page. To access it in the future, you can go to Discover Works and then hit 'Novels and Novellas' and then 'View Your Novels'. Another way you can access it is by simply by going to any of the chapters and clicking on the 'view novel' option in the blue bar.

You can edit it and change details at what ever time that you so wish by clicking 'edit' via the blue bar at the side of any of the chapters or at your project screen.

2. To add additional chapters to your project, repeat the same process that you used to submit the first chapter. You'll find a blue bar asking you if this is a part of your project -- if it is, click yes and it will add the chapter automatically.

All our dreams can come true — if we have the courage to pursue them.

-- Walt Disney

532 Reviews

Reviews: 532
Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:02 am
View Likes
ArcticMonkey says...

Thanks for this, Ellie, however, it's not quite working for me. Because, well, I have posted a new work (Codra-Chapter One) but that blue bar which usually appears at the top hasn't come. Have I done something wrong?
Someone told me there's a girl out there, with love in her eyes and flowers, in her hair.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:10 am
View Likes
Snoink says...

Inbetweener>> Have you put it in the novel forum? If you put it in the short story forum, it won't work! However, you can get a mod to move it for you! Just PM the guys in green and they'll be happy to move it. :)
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

532 Reviews

Reviews: 532
Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:36 am
View Likes
ArcticMonkey says...

Yeah, I actually realised that shortly after I posted that. Sorry...
But yes, I got a mod to move it for me! Thanks for you help, anyways!
Someone told me there's a girl out there, with love in her eyes and flowers, in her hair.

62 Reviews

Reviews: 62
Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:29 pm
View Likes
DelanieHeart says...

Thanks so much :) This actually really helps me. I don't know whether this counts as a short story or not so I'll just put it under novel because I hope it's long.

Also, can I just post an idea and have people review that or does it have to be a story?

Writing is a haven. Writing is a solitude. Writing is a passion.

-- Delanie Heart

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:20 pm
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

Also, can I just post an idea and have people review that or does it have to be a story?

That's what Writers Corner is for. :) Feel free to post ideas there!
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

62 Reviews

Reviews: 62
Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:40 pm
View Likes
DelanieHeart says...

Well I'll be sure to check that out because I'm bursting with ideas that can't be tamed. Like Miley ;)

Anyways, thanks and I'll check that out right now!

Writing is a haven. Writing is a solitude. Writing is a passion.

-- Delanie Heart

53 Reviews

Reviews: 53
Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:18 pm
View Likes
amiemalamie says...

Is there any way to delete chapters from your novel at all, like still keep them on your portfolio but just not on the novel anymore. I have some chapters I want to take out but can't figure out how, I've had to resort to renaming them 'no longer a part of the novel,' which is lame and looks really messy on my novel page :(
Check out my novel My Life of Insignificance

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/amiemalamie

There is no elevator to success. You have to take the stairs.

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:56 pm
View Likes
Nate says...

amiemalamie wrote:Is there any way to delete chapters from your novel at all, like still keep them on your portfolio but just not on the novel anymore. I have some chapters I want to take out but can't figure out how, I've had to resort to renaming them 'no longer a part of the novel,' which is lame and looks really messy on my novel page :(

Sorry amiemalamie, but there is no way to do that presently. I agree it's a pretty big problem, and it's something that will be fixed within the next month.

53 Reviews

Reviews: 53
Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:29 pm
View Likes
amiemalamie says...

Yay for the fixing though :)
Check out my novel My Life of Insignificance

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/amiemalamie

There is no elevator to success. You have to take the stairs.

66 Reviews

Reviews: 66
Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:26 am
View Likes
CelticaNoir says...

Is it possible to post a custom cover for your novel instead of the ones in the gallery? Just wondering.
I am the workingman, the inventor, the maker of the world's food and clothes.
I am the audience that witnesses history.
- Carl Sandburg, I am the People, the Mob

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:05 pm
Rosendorn says...

CelticaNoir wrote:Is it possible to post a custom cover for your novel instead of the ones in the gallery? Just wondering.

Nate's working on it. :) Just be patient!
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

66 Reviews

Reviews: 66
Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:33 pm
View Likes
CelticaNoir says...

Okiiiiiies.

Rosey Unicorn wrote:
CelticaNoir wrote:Is it possible to post a custom cover for your novel instead of the ones in the gallery? Just wondering.

Nate's working on it. :) Just be patient!
I am the workingman, the inventor, the maker of the world's food and clothes.
I am the audience that witnesses history.
- Carl Sandburg, I am the People, the Mob

27 Reviews

Reviews: 27
Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:35 am
View Likes
EmilyofREL says...

Can you post one chapter at a time or does it have to be all at once?
Formerly EmilytheNovelist
REL stands for Rachel, Emily, Lauren, the initials of my triplet sisters and I
“I wish my stove came with a Save As button like Word has. That way I could experiment with my cooking and not fear ruining my dinner.
”

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1260
Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:38 am
View Likes
Elinor says...

You should post one chapter at a time! That's the what the novel system is for, because it collects all the chapters into one page. :) However, if you do want to post it all at once, there's a different board for that - see advanced critiques: forum159.html

All our dreams can come true — if we have the courage to pursue them.

-- Walt Disney

Be careful or be roadkill.
— Calvin