Home » Forums » Welcome » Information Desk » Information Desk Archive

Comments/Suggestions

Topic locked
401 Reviews

Reviews: 401
Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:35 am
View Likes
Nate says...

inkwell wrote:The stories I hear about peoples' accounts being entered by moderators is horrifying.

Eh... what?

That would be disturbing, and it places your earlier comment in a better context. However, it's also not possible.

Now, what does usually happen is that when a member feels threatened or harassed by another member, the communications between the two are shared with the moderators by the member who feels endangered. The moderators then review those materials, ask the threatening member about them, and then come to a conclusion. Most of the time, no action is taken simply because the allegedly harassed member is simply trying to gain an edge over the allegedly threatening member. However, when the harassment rises to either a level of a sexual nature or threatens bodily harm, then it's taken very seriously.

In those few cases, it may be that the threatening member wonders how the moderators learned of those communications. And then instead of fully owning up to what he or she did, they instead seek an escape and accuse others of breaching their privacy, including apparently fabricating tales of moderators entering accounts.
Owner, Founder, Site Administrator

YWS on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/youngwriterssociety
Twitter: https://twitter.com/yws_gazette
Tumblr: http://ywsgazette.tumblr.com/

Got YWS?

185 Reviews

Reviews: 185
Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:08 pm
inkwell says...

So you can't access my account? That's good to know. But how would you verify any evidence? Wouldn't you HAVE to go in and see for yourselves?
"The most incomprehensible thing about the world is that it is comprehensible." — Einstein

401 Reviews

Reviews: 401
Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:50 am
View Likes
Nate says...

inkwell wrote:So you can't access my account? That's good to know. But how would you verify any evidence? Wouldn't you HAVE to go in and see for yourselves?

I've already answered:
The moderators then review those materials, ask the threatening member about them, and then come to a conclusion.
Owner, Founder, Site Administrator

YWS on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/youngwriterssociety
Twitter: https://twitter.com/yws_gazette
Tumblr: http://ywsgazette.tumblr.com/

Got YWS?

3670 Reviews

Reviews: 3670
Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:57 am
View Likes
Snoink says...

Nate wrote:
Snoink wrote:A quick comment... for me, the PM page takes three times to load compared to the other YWS pages. Just something I noticed.

Delete some private messages.

You are awesome. I deleted like... 500 messages. And it's working much better now. So, thank you. XD

Also, most of them were like, "Hey. Can you review my work?" That's it. It was pretty amusing! I think they think I am a mind-reader? xD

To Inkwell: We're not mind-readers, nor can we hack into your account or any of that nonsense. We basically ask a lot of questions and try to figure out what has happened. We can't know whether all the accusations are 100% true or not. That is impossible. Like I said, we are not mind-readers. But, if the evidence shows that it is likely to be true beyond reasonable doubt, we generally will act in what we (hope!) is the greater good of the site and of the members.

EDIT: Also, maybe the reason why YWS has been crashing is my massive inbox? :P Hopefully, it'll start behaving now! :)
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

66 Reviews

Reviews: 66
Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:04 pm
Jalmoc says...

I think we should have another review day soon. I know a lot of people are kind of sad that their works aren't getting attention. I haven't been on here a lot, but it kinda seems like YWS is slowly dying. I'd rather not have that happen. I was accepted here when everything else was horrible. So a review day would be nice. :)
If you don't take a chance, you'll always live your life in regret, so let your heart show it's true colors and admit your feelings!

Tis not the blade that took your life, but the Assassin behind it.

When Reality has all but fallen away, recreate your own world

102 Reviews

Reviews: 102
Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:49 pm
View Likes
WritingWolf says...

I was thinking it would be cool if YWS could give you suggestions on stuff to review based off of the things you've reviewed in the past.

I don't know if this is possible, or how difficult it would be. But I just wanted to put it out there. :)
Proud Writer of the Week judge.

~You can only grasp what you reach for~

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:26 am
BerlynRae says...

So I would just like to say something about the "like" button and how it rewards users.

First off, when someone reads a work they enjoy they are able to "like" it, if enough people like it, it ends up on the front page of YWS. (I've never had my work there but always wanted to.) A few works are posted at a time and it's really great to show off new creative ideas and works but I feel it is very limiting and also a popularity contest.

For example people that are more popular and have more friends are more likely to have their works posted than those who aren't, not that this is a complaint but an observation.

This is my complaint. I was first introduced and decided to join YWS because of a short story posted a few years back. It was compelling and intellectual and I absolutely loved it. But for a long time now all I see on the front is poetry. I mean every once in a while I will see a chapter or a short story but mostly its poetry. Is there any way to change it up a little? So that it shows most liked works from each category? such as short stories, fan fictions, chapter books, poetry etc etc. I just want to see a variety as apposed to ONLY poetry. (With few to little exceptions.)

Is there any way you can change that to make it better?

~Berlynn Rae
You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think. But the most important thing is even if we're apart, I'll always be with you. I'll always be with you.
~Winnie The Pooh