z

Young Writers Society

Grammar

193 Reviews

Reviews: 193
Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:57 am
Lydia1995 says...

My grammer used to be terrible, but now I have improved a lot and I see mistakes in my own work, which is very helpful.
Thinking about what you COULD achieve will get you no where. You've got to chase your dreams.
http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/viewtopic.php?f=188&t=92400 - Need a review?

57 Reviews

Reviews: 57
Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:38 pm
Merlin34 says...

This. So much. I still see works that don't even have the word "I" capitalized.

People learn this stuff in first and second grade! Why is it so hard?
http://maxhelmberger.com/
Advice on writing, funny articles, and more.

225 Reviews

Reviews: 225
Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:00 pm
Spitfire says...

Totally agree with all of you! I used to make lots of mistakes when using quotation marks, but when a couple of people mentioned it to me, I started focusing to not make more.

And as a reader myself, I know it really annoys me when someone makes too many mistakes. There was one story in particular by writewannabe, her storyline was really good, but she made way too many errors. I mentioned all of them in one of her chapters, and it took so long that I got sick of the story completely. I skipped a couple of chapters just to see what the end was and that was it.

I believe people should always re-read their stories before publishing them, or they could potentially turn people away from reading their stuff!
Got a story you'd like reviewed?
topic75101.html

Punctuation is the difference between "Let's eat, Grandma" and "Let's eat Grandma".

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1260
Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:12 pm
Elinor says...

"Liked" this thread.

The main problem I see is that a ton of people don't capitalize 'I' when reffering to themselves. I mean, what's so hard about that?

All our dreams can come true — if we have the courage to pursue them.

-- Walt Disney

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:30 am
Nate says...

In literary works, some people purposefully uncapitalize the 'I' to emphasize a feeling of loneliness or low self-esteem. It's an interesting trick, but there's a huge trade-off. When you're writing something, you want to fully capture the reader's attention and even the slightest distraction can destroy that. An uncapitalized 'I' is pretty glaring and will interrupt the reader from the experience you've created for him/her. So for the sake of a trick, you've destroyed the reader's experience. Like I said, that's a pretty big trade-off. The only major poet to ever do it and succeed was e. e. cummings, and he wasn't doing the uncapitalized 'I' as part of a trick. Rather, it was his writing style and in that style, it's the capitalized 'I' that's a huge distraction.

Outside of literary works, it's just laziness and an inability to use the keyboard. A lot of people rely on caps locks instead of the shift key for capitalizing their letters, and so having to press '[caps lock] [I] [un-caps lock]' every time is annoying. But what they don't realize is that the 'shift' key is so much easier.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:38 am
Rosendorn says...

In continuation of Nate's post, there's also auto-correct in Word and other such programs. They almost get rid of the need for spell check and using of the shift/caps lock key to capitalize. Just type in a lone "i" in Word and it gets capitalized. Same for the start of a new lines/sentence.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1260
Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:41 am
Elinor says...

*sigh*

People are getting lazier and lazier nowadays, it seems. I, for the record, do not like auto correct. Sometimes if I have the name a fictional place in a story, it will keep trying to correct it to something else.

All our dreams can come true — if we have the courage to pursue them.

-- Walt Disney

350 Reviews

Reviews: 350
Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:19 am
Jenthura says...

Nate, I used to use Caps-lock for 'I' all the time. Glad to find out that others have that problem too...would you happen to be one of those others, Nate?
Anyways, I've noticed this problem a lot too, and I do have a lower level of respect for those who write without near-perfect grammar. However, when reviewing, I check the YWS-age and realtime-age of the writers, and pretty much base my comments on that.

Also, who here isn't doing added grammar-check simply because this whole thread is about grammar? Guilty as charged.
-ж-Ж-ж-

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:45 am
Snoink says...

Speaking of ee cummings! My mom and I adore this quote:

i thank You God for most this amazing
day: for the leaping greenly spirits of trees
and a blue true dream of sky; and for everything
which is natural which is infinite which is yes
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

245 Reviews

Reviews: 245
Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:00 am
View Likes
LowKey says...

Good lord, Kamas. 0.o
Necropolis SB / Necropolis DT

Once was Dreamer, is now LowKey_Lyesmith.

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.

188 Reviews

Reviews: 188
Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:55 pm
View Likes
EmmaJane says...

I was guilty of not capitalising my "i"s when I first joined. It didn't take me long to change that. C:

Yep, YWS has turned me into a sharp-eyed, nit-picking machine, and bad grammar just kills me inside. For example, we received our art homework typed out on a little slip of paper. They were really small mistakes but they just jumped out at me. And yes, I'm guilty of underlining them...

And Facebook... *Twitches* It annoys me. Some of the groups, and what people say, and the sheer determination to get every word wrong! Well, that's Facebook, not a writing site. But still...

Just thought I'd give my two cents.

C:
Your = Possession. Your shoes are so sweet!
You're = Omission. You're quite strange...

If you are confused about which to put, simply say in your mind "you are" and see if that fits the sentence. If not, you are looking for your.

Little Macey | Got YWS? | KOTS:BD

558 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 558
Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:37 pm
Matt Bellamy says...

EmmaJane wrote:And Facebook... *Twitches* It annoys me. Some of the groups, and what people say, and the sheer determination to get every word wrong! Well, that's Facebook, not a writing site. But still...

Yeah, loads of Facebook group titles etc. have terrible grammar. I joined a group that said something like, "I would have joined your group if it wasn't such a grammatical failure". And yeah, it is Facebook, but that should be no excuse for these people - this is our language, it's how we communicate! We have these rules and standards so that we can actually understand what people are saying! Also, Eats, Shoots and Leaves by Lynn Truss is a great book for nit-picky grammar freaks like us, and perhaps as a subtle present for people who could use some help. ;)
Matt.

Got Tumblr? Me too! http://www.writersam.co.uk

Peeking Cat Poetry Magazine is accepting submissions! http://peekingcatpoetrymagazine.blogspot.co.uk

377 Reviews

Reviews: 377
Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:08 pm
seeminglymeaningless says...

I realize this is an old topic, but Kamas' post just made me lol hard.

So I thought I'd share my own old review, one of the first I made:

seeminglymeaningless Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:04 am wrote:hey wow!

that was awesome!

maybe u didn't intend it to be creepy, but man!!! gave me goosebumps everywhere!

if this website was like deviantart.com i'd so totally favourite that!!!!

nice going!

i'm going to go check the rest of ur work now.

cheers!

jai

*cringes*
I have an approximate knowledge of many things.

61 Reviews

Reviews: 61
Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:02 pm
LittlePetRock says...

Elinor Brynn wrote:*sigh*

People are getting lazier and lazier nowadays, it seems. I, for the record, do not like auto correct. Sometimes if I have the name a fictional place in a story, it will keep trying to correct it to something else.

Same here. See, my first name is uniquely spelled. Therefore auto correct will change almost everything I write. But it's sad. Society's lack of grammar skills. When people write run-on sentences, do not capitalize their 'i's, names, locations, and the like, is a serious turn-off.
My mom decided to write a novella. As I read the first few chapters, I almost began to cry. She doesn't use commas, quotation marks, or general capitalization. :o
Star light; star bright,
It is time to take flight.
Off I go through the dark of night.
All my hopes and dreams in sight.

39 Reviews

Reviews: 39
Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:13 am
View Likes
Bloo says...

LittlePetRock wrote:
Elinor Brynn wrote:*sigh*

Same here. See, my first name is uniquely spelled. Therefore auto correct will change almost everything I write. But it's sad. Society's lack of grammar skills. When people write run-on sentences, do not capitalize their 'i's, names, locations, and the like, is a serious turn-off.
My mom decided to write a novella. As I read the first few chapters, I almost began to cry. She doesn't use commas, quotation marks, or general capitalization. :o

Tell me you smacked her up the head and gave a time out.
That User Who Changed Their Name A Dozen Times And So No One Ever Knew Who They Were Half the Time and When They Did Only Used Bolt.

The tragic tale of losing all #Brand for nothing in return.

The Take Away Is You Probably Know Me As Bolt

Maybe what most people wanted wasn't immortality and fame, but the reassurance that their existence had meant something. No matter how long... or how brief. Maybe being eternal meant becoming a story worth telling.
— Roshani Chokshi, Aru Shah and the Nectar of Immortality