Home » Forums » Resources » Knowledge Base » YWS

The YWS Critique Sandwich

Post a reply
401 Reviews

Reviews: 401
Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:03 am
View Likes
Nate says...

I'd like to introduce you to the YWS critique sandwich. This is something I noticed YWSers doing some years ago, and I think it's a great way to write a review.

First, begin with what you liked about the poem or story. And be sure to explain why! The first part of the critique sandwich should be at least two sentences long. Of course, please feel free to make it much longer than that.

Second, go into the real meat of the review. Pick out some parts the author could improve on since all of us have stuff we could improve on. It could be something as simple as using spell-check to something as complex as getting dialogue right. And if there's something you didn't like about the work, write about it in this part of the critique sandwich (just be sure to explain why you didn't like it).

Third, finish off your review with a short conclusion. It doesn't need to be any more than a couple sentences long, but you should spend some time to sum up what you thought of the piece overall. You can also spend time re-addressing the main points of your review.

In all, you should be spending only about 10 to 15 minutes on your review. If you're doing less than that, then you have to ask yourself, "Is what I'm saying really helping the author?"
Owner, Founder, Site Administrator

YWS on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/youngwriterssociety
Twitter: https://twitter.com/yws_gazette
Tumblr: http://ywsgazette.tumblr.com/

Got YWS?

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:25 am
TalaPaulwic says...

This seems like a good method for doing things. Makes sense, it's clear, and it makes the author feel like you don't hate them.
All I can hear; "I me mine, I me mine, I me mine". Even those tears; "I me mine, I me mine, I me mine". No one's frightened of playing it. Everyone's saying it. Flowing more freely than wine. All through your life; "I me mine".

257 Reviews

Reviews: 257
Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:57 am
Caerulean says...

This is really a helpful guide. Thanks. :)
- Caerulean -

(Previous Username: Whisperer)

"Many that live deserve death. Some that die deserve life." - Gandalf, The Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowship Of The Ring

310 Reviews

Reviews: 310
Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:24 am
Jash says...

This is so right, Mr. Nate. :) Good thing this is how I review. L-D
A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him´╗┐ than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell

-CS Lewis

BUY MY MUSIC ON iTUNES.|Got a life?|facebook.com/jashbagabaldo

39 Reviews

Reviews: 39
Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:59 pm
HHemayed says...

Thank you for the good ideas.:)
To be alive is not to breathe, eat or drink. It's your ability to prove your existence.

78 Reviews

Reviews: 78
Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:49 am
davantageous says...

that's what he said...........nomnomnom...wolf babies :P
Davantageous

103 Reviews

Reviews: 103
Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:38 am
KittyCatMeow says...

It IS the truth. I didn't read this until now. This should be helpful! Thanks!
Whee. I don't even know what to put here.

58 Reviews

Reviews: 58
Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:25 am
spinelli says...

Sure, it's cute, but what's a diet of only sandwiches? :P

Reviews: 3
Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:30 am
View Likes
Sylar14 says...

This is really helpful. I always thought that I didn't know how to write reviews, but it turns out I've been doing something similar to this all along. Heh.
Thank you for the advice!
"Alone.
Yes, that's the keyword, the most awful word in the English tongue. Murder doesn't hold a candle to it and Hell is but a poor synonym." ~Stephen King