z

Young Writers Society

JustGoat.com

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Mon Aug 29, 2005 6:18 pm
View Likes
Nate says...

Back in early May, or maybe it was late April, I found myself at Donut Connection, once again, with a good friend of mine, Mandy. As we do many times, we went there at about 2 am and stayed there for about an hour.

On this occassion, the conversation drifted toward YWS. Mandy wanted to know how it was going and was full of suggestions for the website. So I told her that someday I was going to add another website called The Writers Society, which would be geared toward the 18+ crowd.

Well, she liked the idea, but hated the name. "It's boring and it sucks" she told me. So for the next thirty minutes, we tried to come up with a name. Eventually we settled on JustGoat.com.

In any case, I think many of the older members know of my plan to eventually form a network of writing sites, all geared toward different ages. Someday there will be a kids writing website for ages 4 to 13, YWS will continue to be geared toward 11 to 21, and JustGoat.com will be geared toward 18+.

Right now, JustGoat.com has an opening date of October 1st, by which time I want it to be fully operational, unlike YWS which was in the construction stages for more than half of its existence. So what I need are ideas for JustGoat. What should it have? What should it look like? Should I advertise it as an 18+ writing website?

Ideas, comments, and suggestions are welcomed :)
Last edited by Nate on Mon Aug 29, 2005 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

49 Reviews

Reviews: 49
Mon Aug 29, 2005 6:33 pm
dreaming_mouse says...

Probably because it might attract more writers who are looking for an 18+ writing site, I have no idea if there's a lot around. But if there isn't and it's been advertised as one then you're more likely to draw in your target audience - and you could also cut back on the number of underage users.

323 Reviews

Reviews: 323
Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:07 pm
hekategirl says...

You could say it was for 18+ or mature writers.
***Honorary 11-Year-Old***

Heh-COT-ee-GUR-el

Got YWS?

128 Reviews

Reviews: 128
Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:34 pm
Galatea says...

One lounge forum, one debate forum--everything else geared toward writing.

Post or points requirement for entering non-literary forums.

Moderators for each separate forum, specifically assigned to certain places, so that mods aren't worrying about the site as a whole but their own individual forums.

Encouragement of absolute honesty when critiquing another's work. Encouragement to not take criticism personally.

Poetry/Prose categories directly related to real categories. ie, Under Poetry: Free-verse/Prose, Ballad/Sonnet etc. Under Fiction: Science-Fiction/Fantasy, Teen Drama, Non-fiction/Essay.

Journals/Blogs--good for creativity.

Spelling and grammar check?
Sing lustily and with a good courage. Beware of singing as if you were half dead, or half asleep; but lift up your voice with strength.

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:14 pm
Sam says...

We'd lose a lot of our best critiquers, though, if we split the site in half. That's what I'm worried about.
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:33 pm
Griffinkeeper says...

Sam is right. While it would be more inclusive, would it really perform as well as YWS is performing now?
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

49 Reviews

Reviews: 49
Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:37 pm
dreaming_mouse says...

It's not that hard to use two different forums, just because some older members might move to the new forum doesn't mean they wouldn't give as much time for this one.

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:24 pm
Griffinkeeper says...

This may be the case, but it doesn't make sense to make another forum if YWS is doing the same thing already.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

128 Reviews

Reviews: 128
Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:35 am
Galatea says...

The idea is to create a site more geared towards writing than this one is, especially for older members who really want something more than "OMG it was so good!!!". I refer you to hatrack.com, the Orson Scott Card writing site. http://www.hatrack.com/forums/writers/cgi/Ultimate.cgi
Sing lustily and with a good courage. Beware of singing as if you were half dead, or half asleep; but lift up your voice with strength.

685 Reviews

Reviews: 685
Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:35 pm
Rei says...

How about a section specifically for novels? On a site like this, where there are none, it's difficult to find people who will read the entire thing, especially if you're posting it as it's being written, and the wait between chapters is long.
Please, sit down before you fall down.
Belloq, "Raiders of the Lost Ark"

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:56 pm
Sam says...

'The idea is to create a site more geared towards writing than this one is, especially for older members who really want something more than "OMG it was so good!!!". I refer you to hatrack.com, the Orson Scott Card writing site.'

That is what I NEED, though people besides Snoink and Bek will not give me anything but because 'it was really good for my age.' *bristles* Yeah, that's nice to hear, but this is my baby, I want you to make it better, not boost my ego.

'How about a section specifically for novels? On a site like this, where there are none, it's difficult to find people who will read the entire thing, especially if you're posting it as it's being written, and the wait between chapters is long.'

Yeah! That would be awesome! I lost a lot of my readers by the second post...
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

51 Reviews

Reviews: 51
Wed Aug 31, 2005 4:53 am
Carmina says...

Being over the age of 18 and feeling out of place, I think a sister-site geared towards the older demographic is a great idea. I'm not sure about that name though. It says nothing about writing, unless I've been out of the loop for way too long and have missed something. Which is possible. I think a grammar check would be a great addition. Perhaps you could have contests, or assignments. "This month the challenge is to write mystery genre in the third person." Something to challenge the writers to try something different. Work out writer's block or artistic constipation. I am also a member of a photography site kinda like this one and they do weekly challenges like that. It gets people thinking. Just an idea.
I reject your reality and substitute my own

481 Reviews

Reviews: 481
Wed Aug 31, 2005 5:22 am
Bobo says...

As Nate said earlier, having random, nothing-to-do-at-all-with-the-subject-or-the-target-audience names are popular these days. Besides, goats are awesome!

683 Reviews

Reviews: 683
Wed Aug 31, 2005 6:32 am
Emma says...

Reichieru wrote:How about a section specifically for novels? On a site like this, where there are none, it's difficult to find people who will read the entire thing, especially if you're posting it as it's being written, and the wait between chapters is long.

That would be awsome.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sat Sep 03, 2005 2:07 am
Snoink says...

Sam wrote:We'd lose a lot of our best critiquers, though, if we split the site in half. That's what I'm worried about.

Not necessarily. I'm 17 now, but I like critiquing younger people's work better. So I would probably stay here. And I'm still on TYWC. So... yeah. Don't count on me leaving.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

Hi everyone who clicks on my profile!...Um, not quite sure what else to do here. Yup, definitely new at this! XD
— Magebird