z

Young Writers Society

Swearing is NOT allowed - Rule 2 Reinforcement

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:18 pm
Firestarter says...

2. Keep all comments clean! For stories and poems, one may use vulgar language, but this is not the case with comments. All inappropiate comments will be edited.

It seems people are ignoring it.

I'm losing patience, profanities are not accepted on this site! If you can't say anything without such language, then you're not very good writer.

All offending posts will now be deleted if rule-breaking is repetitive.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:23 pm
Sam says...

What about the debate forum? People swear like sailors in there...teehee...
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:26 pm
Firestarter says...

Debate topics will be closed if there is repeated swearing.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

51 Reviews

Reviews: 51
Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:01 pm
ZZAP says...

*sigh* I remember making a topic about this... And yet no one listened to me. True, I may have not followed the rules, but that's only after which case I thought it acceptable while I was in an angry state. I will further clean up my language...

Z
Nate, you will eventually resine or trade powers with me:
https://www.youngwriterssociety.com/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=4

685 Reviews

Reviews: 685
Wed Aug 03, 2005 2:07 am
Rei says...

Too true, too true. We can't be afraid of any kind of language if we're going to be writers. Yet at the same time, we need to know where best to use such language. As my drama teacher said, "There's no such thing as a bad word, only a bad time to use it." I'd also say you're not much of a debator if you feel the need to resort to such language.
Please, sit down before you fall down.
Belloq, "Raiders of the Lost Ark"

915 Reviews

Reviews: 915
Wed Aug 03, 2005 3:10 am
Incandescence says...

'Diversity' and 'freedom' have an interesting way of enforcing and, actually, enhancing the Master/Slave relationship.

If memory serves accurate, the literature forums were not to have profanities; the Lounge, however, was allowed to have them insofar as they are not abusive of other members. I don't see this in the Lounge area (though I admit my participation in the Lounge has greatly diminished since it began). Maybe the rules have changed, because this is all from my memory, but I'd suggest in the Lounge area, the involvement of mediation be limited.
"If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants were standing on my shoulders." -Hal Abelson

128 Reviews

Reviews: 128
Wed Aug 03, 2005 3:59 am
Galatea says...

To fear the use of a word only increases its power.
Sing lustily and with a good courage. Beware of singing as if you were half dead, or half asleep; but lift up your voice with strength.

51 Reviews

Reviews: 51
Wed Aug 03, 2005 5:09 am
Carmina says...

Fear of a word does increase its power, but over-use of a word decreases its power. If you only swear when it is a big deal, truly emotional, then the word has power. If you throw around curse words all the time, they lose all power, and when you try to use them to make an emotional display, the words have no power. If you say f@#% all the time, no one will listen when you are really mad (or have a character be really mad) and say f@$% you.

And, for a differnt reason not to overuse curse words in posts and stories, some people stop paying attention to what you say when you resort to swearing to make your point. I know I do.

All this is not to say that I never swear. I'm sure I could make a sailer blush if I tried. O:) There is just a time and a place for it.
I reject your reality and substitute my own

221 Reviews

Reviews: 221
Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:10 am
Elelel says...

Well, I've got a littel sister here, so I'm all for less swearing. She already knows too many things to call me. WAY more than I knew at her age.
Oh, you're angry! Click your pen.
--Music and Lyrics

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:51 am
Firestarter says...

Nate once said this -

Thought I'd finally get around to making a post about mod duties...

So far, I think everyone has been doing a good job. But to just lay things out explicitly...

The primary duty is just making sure everyone keeps discussions clean (although I'd allow some leniency in the debate forums if it ever gets past the silly debates) and that stories/poems with inappropiate content for younger audiences are marked as such with an "Over 13" tag in their title plus a note at the top of the story/poem explaining that kids under 13 should only read it with parental supervision/permission.

Random avatar

Reviews: 1160
Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:50 pm
Elizabeth says...

If we could somehow enforce that rule, like manage to not let kids who are under 13 read them... like a filter or something... (not making any sense)...

But swearing does get out of hand (raises hand)
*Sighs* if life after 5th grade didnt' exist I never would have started my cursed rant :P

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:51 am
QiGuaiGongFu says...

i think banning a word would increase its power. South park did quite an episode on it, the 'shit' episode, for lack of a better term. Where they said the word "shit" a total of 167 times, and kept tally on the lower right hand corner. After a while, it got a little repetative, but that was the point. Say it enough, and its not powerful anymore. Taking away these words only makes them stronger. Check this out. If i say 'nigger' in a room full of people, im garanteing some heads will turn. but if we said it all the time, no one would care. check this out, if i said 'the' in a room full of people, no one would give a damn.
For centuries, theologians have been explaining the unknowable in terms of the-not-worth-knowing.
- HL Mencken
Lie together like butt.
Presenting the GFuture, soon to be the Gnow, reality presented by Google.
Welcome to GEarth.
~Baske in the randomness~

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:56 am
Sam says...

Yeah, but it's still annoying. And there are little kids here! :P Just kidding.
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

127 Reviews

Reviews: 127
Fri Aug 05, 2005 3:00 am
Rincewind says...

Hilarious and true Qi.
That episode was hilarious.
They referred to them as curse words. And when said enough times actually created a curse and people started puking up their intestines. Or popping inside out, Im not sure.
~The bandit’s body slumped to the ground, knees hitting first,followed by the rest.His dead weight pushed dust into the air in a swirling cloud.The blood flowed from his head,splicing like river canals,delaying slightly on pebbles before flowing on through the street.~

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Fri Aug 05, 2005 3:35 am
QiGuaiGongFu says...

they turned inside out. then a monster came out of a tv show set
For centuries, theologians have been explaining the unknowable in terms of the-not-worth-knowing.
- HL Mencken
Lie together like butt.
Presenting the GFuture, soon to be the Gnow, reality presented by Google.
Welcome to GEarth.
~Baske in the randomness~

"She doesn't even go here!"
— Damian Leigh