Young Writers Society

Swearing is NOT allowed - Rule 2 Reinforcement

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Fri Aug 05, 2005 4:22 pm
View Likes
Firestarter says...

You may be right, but when there are people that are offended by swear words on this site, that means that they shouldn't be used freely. I hope Qi that you can do your job as a Mod and protect those people.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Tue Aug 09, 2005 2:01 am
View Likes
Snoink says...

Good authors too who once knew better words
Now only use four-letter words
Writing prose,
Anything goes!

Hehe...

The biggest thing I have against those kind of words is because there are so many other wonderful words to use instead, which can have a more powerful effect. We're all writers, so we should be able to explain ourselves descriptively without hurling obscenities to and fro. There are certain times, such as when you write a story, that you can't avoid those words. When this happens, you have to use the word as carefully as possible. But there are other places, such as the debate forum, where you can and should avoid using those words. If it's a problem and you're so angry you can't think, count to 10 before posting. It helps, honest.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:56 am
View Likes
Sam says...

What about profiles and signatures? I put a few lines from a particularly beautifully writen part of a song (Jesus of Suburbia. Heh. You knows it. :P). There's just one word at the end of that...I censored it, but I was just wondering. I'm going to change it if it's not allowed, 'cause you can't appreciate the full sha-bang without it. (lmao...that sounded stupid.)
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

127 Reviews

Reviews: 127
Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:25 am
View Likes
Rincewind says...

Swearing, like gore, and sex, and drugs, and all that stuff, needs to be used lightly and with more care than more acceptable subjects.
Its all because sensitive subjects like that are often abused and degraded. As soon as you choose to use that sort of material in a piece, you need to form an opinion on it, and portray it from a subjective point of view. Otherwise people will become confused why you used it and confusion leads to dejecting the idea. If you can use the subject with style and care it will seem very intentional and people will accept that you put boobs or a dirty word in it.
~The bandit’s body slumped to the ground, knees hitting first,followed by the rest.His dead weight pushed dust into the air in a swirling cloud.The blood flowed from his head,splicing like river canals,delaying slightly on pebbles before flowing on through the street.~

481 Reviews

Reviews: 481
Wed Aug 31, 2005 5:31 am
View Likes
Bobo says...

Okay, so let's talk openly about heinous crimes to little kids so that it reduces their power.

Stop the swearing, there's no point.

Random avatar

Reviews: 681
Wed Aug 31, 2005 5:37 am
View Likes
Sponson Light says...

Snoink wrote:We're all writers, so we should be able to explain ourselves descriptively without hurling obscenities to and fro.

No we arent!
At least IM no writer.
But yeah, I dont see the point in swearing, it adds nothing, for example, saying
"I hate this thing"
Saying "I f**king hate this thing" may make it sound harsher, but look at it, it adds nothing.
You shouldn't judge a book by it's cover, instead, you should read every single book to see what every book is about before you even come close to judging its viability.

481 Reviews

Reviews: 481
Wed Aug 31, 2005 5:55 am
View Likes
Bobo says...

All it does is offend. And she made the assumption that we're all writers because this is a writing community. You're actually probably the only non-writer here, Sponson.

What orators lack in depth they make up for in length.
— Charles de Secondat, Baron de Montesquieu