z

Young Writers Society

The Knowledge Base & The New YWS

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:31 am
Nate says...

As you may know, YWS has a knowledge base (accessible via the Resources tab). If you didn't know that, I don't blame you (well, as long as you're not a staffer!). It's kind of hidden, not very user friendly, and sloppily done.

So here's what's changing with the KB when the new YWS rolls around:

First, the posting bug will be gone. The bug currently is just an error message and your post still gets posted, but it is annoying.

Second, all articles will need approval before being posted, and approval will be very strict. Not only can there be no grammatical errors at all, but the content itself has to be well above average. Only members of Big Brother will be able to approve articles, and I'm thinking about making it such that an article needs at least three yay votes before being available to everyone.

As a side note to the second point, all current articles will go through an approval process as well. I haven't decided on what kind of process it will be (could be just me, or a group of people), but just because your article is in the KB doesn't mean it will be on the new YWS.

Third, you'll be able to rate articles, tag them to a favorites list, share your favorites list with others, and other things as well (not mentioning the 'other things' now as they may not make it to the final version).

Fourth, it's going to look awesome, but then again, everything on the new YWS is going to look awesome.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:21 am
Snoink says...

Can the moderators "edit" these articles? Say, if there's one typo, is it possible to edit that one typo and just go on with publishing it?
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:30 am
Jiggity says...

Sorry for posting the extras - didn't realise that it would be posted despite the error code. Also, I noted that it wasn't possible to delete my own post - I could edit, but not delete - will that change?

Or am I just ignorant and unable to see the right button?
Mah name is jiggleh. And I like to jiggle.

"Indecision and terror, thy name is novel." - Chiko

425 Reviews

Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:43 am
Nate says...

I don't think you are able to delete your own article, but I'll think about with the new YWS. We usually don't want members deleting topics because it messes with the database, and other members usually take a lot of care into the comments they make. But, the new KB will be existing on a separate database, and it's not as if people are going to critique your article (ex. "I really like the tone you established in your article on proper capitalization, but I just didn't feel like I could sympathize with your protagonist, the letter 'I'").

Snoink ->> Yep; the approval system will be very similar with what you, Brad, and I were using for the poetry database approval at TWS.

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:23 pm
Jiggity says...

Has it already begun to be phased in? The new site, I mean? The front page looks a bit different and there's a jump-to bar at the top I never noticed before.

Unless of course, I'm either incredibly oblivious or crazy, both of which are highly likely.
Mah name is jiggleh. And I like to jiggle.

"Indecision and terror, thy name is novel." - Chiko

425 Reviews

Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:49 am
Nate says...

Jiggity wrote:Has it already begun to be phased in? The new site, I mean? The front page looks a bit different and there's a jump-to bar at the top I never noticed before.

Unless of course, I'm either incredibly oblivious or crazy, both of which are highly likely.

Haha, you're not crazy. I did mess with stuff last night, so that's probably what you're noticing.

You are going to love some of your characters because they are you, or some facet of you, and you are going to hate some characters for the same reason.
— Anne Lamott