Young Writers Society

Rule regarding Chat/Leet Speak

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Fri Jun 03, 2005 12:31 pm
View Likes
Firestarter says...

Due to the increasing lack of proper punctuation and English on YWS, I'd like to remind members this is a writing forum, and as such, people are reminded to use correct grammar, spelling and punctuation. This is not some sort of censorship trying to prevent you from typing how you want but to help other members understand what you are actually attempting to say.

There should be no chat or leet speak. Remember that this is a post forum setting, not a high speed chat room, and that people from all over the world post here. Take your time, and show you payed some attention to what someone has posted before you. Take the time and courtesy to reply legibly. This means using proper punctuation, spelling and grammar to the best of your ability. We realize that not everyone is a native English speaker, but that is no excuse for anyone (fluent in English or otherwise) to reply with things such as:

Ur story is Koo1!

N1 red dat bk by wahtisname?

and other forms of leet/chat speak.

The excuse of "I don't have time to type a regular reply" is unacceptable. If you don't have the time to reply in anyway but chat/leet speak, then come back and reply when you do have the time.

Any posts seen to be breaking this will either be edited by moderators to make them readable or sadly, deleted. YWS is trying to promote writing excellency rather than attempting to downgrade the english lanaguage as it stands today. Please make sure your posts are readable.

This is only a small majority and as such, am I glad most members are able to write correctly. Thanks for your time.
Last edited by Firestarter on Tue Jun 07, 2005 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

172 Reviews

Reviews: 172
Fri Jun 03, 2005 2:24 pm
View Likes
Shadow Knight says...

I am in complete agreement with this.
Cause i'm a one man,
I'm a one man,
I'm a one man,
I'm a one man revolution.

Random avatar

Reviews: 665
Fri Jun 03, 2005 6:29 pm
View Likes
deleted6 says...

Okay iam guilty of this forgive forgive me but i see now why i should not do that
We get off to the rhythm of the trigger and destruction. Fallujah to New Orleans with impunity to kill. We are the hidden fist of the free market.
We are the ink, we are the quill.
[The Ink And The Quill (Be Afraid) - Anti-Flag]

154 Reviews

Reviews: 154
Fri Jun 03, 2005 8:10 pm
View Likes
Armadian says...

Thats fair i guess i can follow these.
How can you prove that we exist? Maybe we don't exist...

40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:00 pm
View Likes
little x soldier says...

And no I can’t. I have always done my best trying not to post things like crazy, just like that nor use fleet/chat speaking. That’s why I never post that much because I know I can’t write what I’m thinking about and what I was supposed to say. But I do spend all my time reading all post I can find.

For the first time ever here in YWS, I really don’t understand. Not a sentence not a word!
So I guess because I don’t understand anything of this I’ll be abandoned…?
~xS;o:L;d:I;e:Rx~

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:01 pm
View Likes
Sam says...

Yessssssssss!

Glad to see I am not the only one concerned about grammar here...
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:04 pm
View Likes
Firestarter says...

For the first time ever here in YWS, I really don’t understand. Not a sentence not a word!
So I guess because I don’t understand anything of this I’ll be abandoned…?

What's the problem? Your writing is fine so it doesn't apply to you, don't worry.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

162 Reviews

Reviews: 162
Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:32 am
View Likes
nickelpickle says...

Like Jack said, this is not directed towards you, xia...

Some members also think that spelling is the only important thing, but so is grammar. A gentle reminder that it is hard to understand posts without periods, commas, etc.
"There's a light at each end of this tunnel,
You shout 'cause you're just as far in as you'll ever be out
And these mistakes you've made, you'll just make them again
If you only try turning around."

685 Reviews

Reviews: 685
Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:22 pm
View Likes
Rei says...

I'm glad finally took the initiative to point this problem out. But I'm also a little disappointed in the people who made it necessary. I mean, if we won't use our language properly, what kind of writers are we?
Please, sit down before you fall down.
Belloq, "Raiders of the Lost Ark"

418 Reviews

Reviews: 418
Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:27 pm
View Likes
electricbluemonkey says...

Yeah, this is good, and I totally agree with it. I was kind of tired to read some chat speak posts (one took me about two minutes).

I also think that using *punctuation* would be good (*cough*FoNtRoY*cough*), because that would really help as far as people understanding what you post.
Gotta a find a woman be good to me,
Who won't hide my liquor, try to serve me tea.

594 Reviews

Reviews: 594
Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:30 pm
View Likes
Crysi says...

Also.. *glances at Yoshi and Fontroy* Capitalization always helps as well. Maybe I'm just being picky, but it really annoys me when people don't capitalize "I" or the first letter of their sentence.

And PLEASE don't just blow someone off when they ask you to fix something. For example, Fontroy, I've asked you several times to please correct the typos in your signature. I'm sure I sound obsessive, but it's mostly a synesthesia thing. I honestly cannot stand when simple words are spelled incorrectly and it gives me a headache to see the colors mixed up. If you're claiming to be a writer, at least have the decency to attempt to write maturely! There is no excuse for spelling words like "Jewels" incorrectly, unless English is not your native language.

*sigh* However, as long as people refrain from using extreme "chat speak" I think many of us will be much happier with the posts on the boards.
Love and Light

Random avatar

Reviews: 1160
Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:29 am
View Likes
Elizabeth says...

I know it's annoying but sometimes I chat like that or reply like that because I'm in a hurry... oh well, i'll stop if ... Yoshi Armada will!

78 Reviews

Reviews: 78
Wed Jun 08, 2005 12:38 am
View Likes
Soyala Amaya says...

If I could, I would purr. I can speak l337 (leet) with the best of them, almost as fast as I can type regularly, but this is a WRITING site by the Graces! An occasional typo on accident, like, say, accidently putting the 'e' before the 'h' in the, or then, if it's a legitimate mistake and you didn't spell check your post or something. But going in with any form of our two examples is just annoying, immature, childish, and frankly, rather dweebish. I always attempt to reply with full English, and will often make gramar comments when critiquing something. My mother is an English teacher, and I will often start to say something outloud, stop, apologize in the middle of a gramatical mistake, then correct myself...because when I was little, my mom wouldn't reply to anything I said unless it was spoken in correct English. Tough lesson for a five year old, trust me.
I didn't lose my mind, I sold it on E-bay.

154 Reviews

Reviews: 154
Wed Jun 08, 2005 1:21 am
View Likes
Armadian says...

Ok ok i have stopped and will do my best to not do it again.
How can you prove that we exist? Maybe we don't exist...

Random avatar

Reviews: 5
Wed Jun 08, 2005 5:03 pm
View Likes
Unknown says...

Great!!! No more chat talking. I can't read it. I swear to you English already is hard enough without all those complicated abbreviations! (Well, excuse me for any grammar mistakes, spelling shouldn't be that bad because we have spell check).
"Une chambre sans livre est un corps sans âme" Adage latin

All we can do is our best, and hope that it was enough.
— CandyWizard