z

Young Writers Society

June 2008 Updates (read this before asking questions!)

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:12 am
Nate says...

New! Leaderboards

Now introducing leaderboards for YWS! Just go to Home tab at the top, then choose "Leaderboards." You'll see a listing of the top reviewers for the past 24 hours, the past seven days, and the current month. You'll also see the champion from last month, as well as the heavyweight, who will probably be Snoink for many years to come.

YWS True Blue & Light Removed

Both YWS True Blue & Light have been removed. True Blue users were switched to Chimped Out, and Light users were switched to Default. The change was made because YWS is rapidly growing not only in size, but also in complexity. I couldn't support four templates, so it's been whittled down to the two most popular. Don't worry, Chimped Out is here to stay! It is, after all, Bobo's shining glory.

Friends in Profile Change:

Go to your profile or anyone elses. Notice that it's no longer in the order it used to be?

The friends in everyone's profile are now ordered by last visit, which means that someone who logged in two seconds ago would be at top. I was deciding whether to do this or let users choose their top friends, but I decided against the latter. How come? Getting to choose your top friends, while cool, is also kind of stressful and can lead to fights. I know a ton of people who won't use MySpace because they got tired of all the "Why am I not in your top friends?" messages.

Portfolio Management: Major Update

The portfolio management system is perhaps the biggest new update in a year. You can organize your portfolio almost however you wish now.

Since a lot of changes were made, you'll find a user guide in the portfolio section of any profile. Just click "help" to read it.

Reviews Tab in My YWS

You can now easily read all of the reviews you have ever received right from My YWS. Nice and easy to use.
Last edited by Nate on Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:04 am, edited 3 times in total.

896 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 896
Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:49 am
PenguinAttack says...

You are the most awesome person in the history of awesome people. I love the Review tab like nothing else. ^^ I prefer going there than to my portfolio to find new reviews. And all the other changes you've made are really major cool.

Thusly I bow to your awesome.

*Hearts* Le Penguin.
I like you as an enemy, but I love you as a friend.

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:08 am
Rydia says...

These are all amazing changes, Nate, particularly the last one! I would strangle you with love if you weren't half-way across the world XD
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:52 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

Good call on not choosing the top friends - I hate the awkwardness of it!

Loving the rest of the features, too - interesting (and embarrassing) to see all those reviews from times gone by. And my portfolio is all nice and tidy now - you've helped my OCD tendencies!
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

438 Reviews

Reviews: 438
Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:32 pm
JFW1415 says...

Nate wrote:I know a ton of people who won't use MySpace because they got tired of all the "Why am I not in your top friends?" messages.

Thank you! I ended up getting a code to hide my friends list because of this. Really, I can't choose my top friends! I love them all for different reasons. Same here, on YWS.

I love the new portfolios. Also, I haven't needed the review thing yet, but it looks like it will come in handy.

As always, sheer brilliance has emitted from you, Nate.

~JFW1415

878 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 878
Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:57 pm
View Likes
Demeter says...

Thanks a lot, I hadn't noticed this before! And I agree about the top friends thing – it's much better this way.
"Your jokes are scarier than your earrings." -Twit

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

440 Reviews

Reviews: 440
Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:15 pm
gyrfalcon says...

You seriously rock my sox off! And since I'm no half-way round the world (only 1/4 of the way ;)) I shall strangle you with love! *pounce, hug, strangle* All the changes are totally awesome, Nate, thanks so very much.
"In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function...We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful." ~C.S. Lewis

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:50 am
Nate says...

Added leaderboards. Check out the first post for the description.

I'm hoping these will lead to some competition ;)

516 Reviews

Reviews: 516
Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:29 am
chocoholic says...

Love the Leaderboards Nate. Hopefully they'll get me reviewing a lot more!
*Don't expect to see me around much in the next couple of weeks. School has started again, and it'll be a couple of weeks before I've settled in. If you've asked me for a critique, you will get it, but not for a little while. Sorry*

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:49 am
Snoink says...

:shock:

I have no life. Officially.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:53 am
Rydia says...

The leaderboards are awesome! But don't be so sure about Snoink keeping her position for years to come, I think Suzie is pretty determined to over-take her and if not, give me another two years and we'll see what I can do XD
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

1464 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1464
Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:59 pm
JabberHut says...

Leaderboards?

I'm in love. :shock:

~ Jabber ~
I make my own policies.

878 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 878
Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:07 pm
Demeter says...

Yep, leaderboards are great! And not just because I can see my name there... ;)
"Your jokes are scarier than your earrings." -Twit

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

497 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 497
Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:27 pm
Teague says...

Snoink wrote::shock:

I have no life. Officially.

And the two-thousand-plus critiques and nearly eight-thousand posts weren't your first clue? ;)

Argh, why does this have to be introduced while I'm super busy? xD

-:pirate3:
"2-4-6-8! I like to delegate!" -Meshugenah
"Teague: Stomping on your dreams since 1992." -Sachiko
"So I'm looking at FLT and am reminded of a sandwich." -Jabber

438 Reviews

Reviews: 438
Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:07 pm
JFW1415 says...

Argh - you introduced this right as I got into my massive rewrite. :(

Anyways, after I post the story, expect me to be on the top of (most) of those lists. :) Actually, my summer's kind of insane - but I'll just stay up all night to critique! :)

Awesome possum, Nate.

~JFW1415

uwu
— soundofmind