z

Young Writers Society

New Formatting!

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Mon May 19, 2008 11:32 pm
Nate says...

As I'm sure you have or will notice, poems & stories now look different.

[s]All poems now have drop caps and fancy lettering.[/s] All stories now have indented paragraphs; meaning that you can copy and paste your work directly from Word without having to separate the paragraphs.

There are some bugs here and there, but nothing major. If you want to avoid the big one, add any notes for poems to the end of the poem. Otherwise your note ends up getting a very big letter at the start.

EDIT

Made some changes in response to comments. The only noticeable change to poems is now the line spacing, and there is a reason for it (explained in a bit). With stories, the line spacing has been changed as well so as to make the difference between parts of a story more noticeable.

So why keep this? One big reason: You no longer need to format your work. No more spacing paragraphs, and all your white space in your poems preserved.

This means that if your poem is like this:

Code: Select all
abcde
  fghijk
    lmnop
 qrst

It will come out as such (without the green!) and not like:

abcde
fghijk
lmnop
qrst

Which is copied and pasted with the spaces included from above.

Doing this requires that everything be in pre tags, but pre tags do funny things with line spacing. So the lines need to be set further apart so that long sentences don't look odd.
Last edited by Nate on Tue May 20, 2008 4:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Mon May 19, 2008 11:46 pm
Emerson says...

Ooer. It will take me a while to get used to this! I will wait until the bugs are out to complain, hah. What is great about it is now double spacing won't be such of a problem (hopefully?) and poems look pretty! Although I do have to say the first letter being large is a bit odd, but rather aesthetically pleasing!

It makes me happy. But I will still have to get used to it, haha. Thank you, Nate!
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Mon May 19, 2008 11:47 pm
Sureal says...

Would it be possible to add in some sort of [format] tag to be able to turn this on/off?

'cos I've just looked through a bunch of stories and poems and it seems to be messing up a lot of formatting. On poems it double spaces everything, which looks weird, and the large first letter is doing weird things to the first and second lines of the poems, and on stories it messes up titles and chapter names by indenting them too, which again looks really rather odd.
I wrote the above just for you.

425 Reviews

Tue May 20, 2008 1:56 am
Nate says...

Suzanne wrote:I will wait until the bugs are out to complain, hah.

So you're going to wait until it runs perfectly to complain? ;)

Sureal ->> Your point on poetry is well taken, but on stories, I don't think it's a big deal. Titles & chapters usually get indented in any case, plus it greatly resolves the problem of having to reformat your work for the web. The downside just does not compare to the upside.

There will also be no option for turning it off. I'm tired of having options for everything on YWS; it makes things incredibly complex and needlessly burdensome for myself.

438 Reviews

Reviews: 438
Tue May 20, 2008 2:44 am
View Likes
JFW1415 says...

...Is there some reason I can't see the new formatting?

~JFW1415

EDIT: Now I can. When this first came out I couldn't.

I'm not too fond of it, but I suppose I will adjust.

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Tue May 20, 2008 2:51 am
Emerson says...

Haha well, I didn't want to be annoying! But I think Sureal pointed out the things that bother me...

I assumed the things that bothered me were the bugs. Like, the fact that poetry spaces out weird.

*hides*
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

87 Reviews

Reviews: 87
Tue May 20, 2008 3:06 am
Perra says...

I have been wanting indentations for a while now. It rocks that we finally got them :) You are made of win, Nate.
YWS gives me carpal tunnel.

Need a Critique?

Evil lurks everywhere, often in plain sight...Can you lurk in plain sight? Or is that just walking?

425 Reviews

Tue May 20, 2008 4:24 am
Nate says...

Made some changes, but this is going to stay. The new system preserves all your whitespace for poems, and you don't need to add line breaks for all your paragraphs for stories.

497 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 497
Tue May 20, 2008 4:58 am
Teague says...

Ooer, hallelujah. *snuggles paragraph spacing* It was such a pain to go through patches of nothing but dialogue and put a space between every one. xD This is so much easier and full of win.

Although, since the change, the dropdown menus on the top bar aren't working? *pokes it* They worked when I switched over to Default (I'm on Chimped Out), so...

Merp. I hate complaining. >.<

Edit: So I tried it at school, and the dropdowns work there, but on my home computer, they don't? Odd.

-:pirate3:
Last edited by Teague on Tue May 20, 2008 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"2-4-6-8! I like to delegate!" -Meshugenah
"Teague: Stomping on your dreams since 1992." -Sachiko
"So I'm looking at FLT and am reminded of a sandwich." -Jabber

531 Reviews

Reviews: 531
Tue May 20, 2008 8:47 am
Caligula's Launderette says...

Maybe, I'm just an old stick in the mud, but this formatting this I'll have to get used to. I didn't realize you had added this new fangled thing and at first, was all: "who f'ed up my formatting?" In actuality, most of my stuff doesn't have indents to begin with, but that's okay. I can't really complain because Nate, you are too awesome, and really it's a silly little thing to get all worked up about.

;)

Ta,
Cal.
Fraser: Stop stealing the blanket.
[Diefenbaker whines]
Fraser: You're an Arctic Wolf, for God's sake.
(Due South)

Hatter: Do I need a reason to help a pretty girl in a very wet dress? (Alice)

Got YWS?

721 Reviews

Reviews: 721
Tue May 20, 2008 1:57 pm
Azila says...

Wow. This is a real improvement.

Of course, I don't use indents while writing in MS Word because I just space it out as I write so it will be ready for YWS if I want to post it... but still, this is really really cool.

Thanks so much.
~Azila~

268 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 268
Wed May 21, 2008 3:31 pm
Adnamarine says...

*sighs in ecstasy* I love you Nate, positively adore you. Will you marry me?
"Half the time the poem writes me." ~Meshugenah

Understanding is the first step to acceptance, and only with acceptance can there be recovery.
— Albus Dumbledore