z

Young Writers Society

The Google Ads

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Thu May 12, 2005 5:54 am
Nate says...

I'm thinking of changing the Google Ads; that is, getting rid of them and replacing them with something else. The problem is that the revenue has been absolutely paltry from them and while I can't say how much exactly I've made from them (not allowed to), I can say that it just barely covers the base cost for running this website.

So I'm thinking of switching over to something else. Right now, I think the big problem is that the google ads are mostly all those stupid writing scams. So what I would like to do is go with a program that allows me to choose what ads get shown on the site. For instance, while I'm sure an ad about a poetry contest won't do well, I'm sure an ad about homework help would do fairly well.

My question is what does everyone prefer? Do banner ads annoy you (I mean static banner ads with little or no animation)? Also, what do you think about the current placement of ads on the site? I'm trying to go for a good balance between as little annoying as possible while still being in a high visible spot.

172 Reviews

Reviews: 172
Thu May 12, 2005 7:51 am
Shadow Knight says...

That's highly* or visibility*
And I don't really mind the google ads, not that i've ever clicked on one (mainly because of those scams)
I don't really care what type they are, as long as it earns some money *shrugs*
Cause i'm a one man,
I'm a one man,
I'm a one man,
I'm a one man revolution.

85 Reviews

Reviews: 85
Thu May 12, 2005 2:37 pm
Chanson says...

i don't click on them (because, as has been mentioned, they're all scams) but i do see them. they don't bother me at all. actually, i was thinking just yesterday that they were in a pretty cool spot because they're not in your face but you do notice them.

static ads don't annoy me and if the revenue is crappy then change away.....
"And Matt Muir. Matt Muir, he's the sweetest guy. Have you ever looked into his eyes? It's like the first time I heard the Beatles" Superbad

154 Reviews

Reviews: 154
Thu May 12, 2005 2:54 pm
Armadian says...

Don't click on them like everyone on this post has said they don't bother me and I don't click on them but that homework thing would be cool!
How can you prove that we exist? Maybe we don't exist...

221 Reviews

Reviews: 221
Thu May 12, 2005 3:03 pm
Kay Kay says...

Yeah i've never clicked on them either for the same reasons.
Quarrels would not last long if the fault were only on one side.
--La Rochedoucauld

"An unexamined life is not worth living..."
---Socraties

128 Reviews

Reviews: 128
Thu May 12, 2005 8:13 pm
Galatea says...

I don't like that all the ads tend to be scams. It's really very upsetting to me as a writer. However, I do like that they do not move, and I prefer static ads to popups or animated banners. Also, for those older members, would it be possible to set up a donation system? Elfwood.com has one and it works quite well. Members who donate recieve a special icon or asterisk, and that's about it. It would by no means be obligatory, but could work as a source of income for the site.
Sing lustily and with a good courage. Beware of singing as if you were half dead, or half asleep; but lift up your voice with strength.

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Thu May 12, 2005 9:29 pm
niteowl says...

I click on them just to help support the site nowadays, even if I would never actually use them. I like their locations though.

Random avatar

Reviews: 665
Sat May 14, 2005 8:34 am
deleted6 says...

I have Broadband so i ave no problems :roll: :roll: :P

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Sun May 15, 2005 3:55 am
Sam says...

The banner ads that flash and things give me motion sickness while I try to read something...

the current sort of 'list' works really well, I think. To bring in more bacon, you could alter them slightly...but I don't really care.
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

129 Reviews

Reviews: 129
Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:55 pm
Mattie says...

Jeez...I'm going to sound like everyone else. I don't click on them either and they don't bother me. But, if you're taking requests or ideas I'd think some ads for bands or t.v shows would be cool. We could all vote on what kind of ad we'd want like the most liked band or show. If that's what kind of ads you're talking about...I could be wrong. Like informative ads? Whatever is fine with me but that was just a suggestion.

Irrigation of the land with seawater desalinated by fusion power is ancient. It's called 'rain'.
— Michael McClary