z

Young Writers Society

Dynamic Avatar & Points Store

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Sat Mar 05, 2005 8:00 pm
View Likes
Nai says...

My picture avatar is gone and when I went to edit my profile to try to get it back, the only option there was to create a dynamic avatar

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Sun Mar 06, 2005 8:41 am
View Likes
Supermal says...

I cannot make changes to my Dynamic Avatar and I do not have the option of using normal Avatar, either. I click Save Changes, and it says that the changes are saved, but they don't show up. Does someone here know how I could fix that?
~Michelle~
Who needs friends when you've just bought a brand new pen?

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Sun Mar 06, 2005 4:10 pm
View Likes
Nate says...

Go to your profile or to the home page and check there to see if the changes were saved; you may need to reload the page.

Every time you go to the dynamic avatar screen, it will appear blank. That does not mean, though, that your avatar was not saved last time.

425 Reviews

Fri Mar 11, 2005 12:43 am
View Likes
Nate says...

Just a warning to everyone... the prices for pets are going to be increased by 4000 points very soon. The reason for this? I felt like it.

481 Reviews

Reviews: 481
Fri Mar 11, 2005 4:47 pm
View Likes
Bobo says...

I don't know about when I'm at home, but at school (on an eMac) the dynamic avatar builder is all jumbled up.

425 Reviews

Wed Mar 16, 2005 5:53 pm
View Likes
Nate says...

Just added a new points store called "Homer's Illustrious Backgrounds." It's not on the big shop image yet, but there is a link to it right underneath the big shop image.

So far, there's sixteen backgrounds ranging from the a plain blue to the Eiffel Tower, all costing anywhere from 1500 points to 5000 points. I plan on adding more in the future, but I think the current selection is broad enough for now.

I've also changed the interface for the dynamic avatar screen back to a dropdown menu. While the graphical interface was nice, it started to get clunky if you had a lot of items and it was also really hard to unequip an item. Also, it could take a long time to load depending on your connection speed.

I am also working on adding new accessories, but that may take a little longer than I thought. Right now, I'm working on the hair styles since there were some problems with them that I could ignore before the backgrounds were added (most of the hair styles have a lot of white space around them, which is fine as long as the background is white as well).

When I add accessories, expect those to cost as little as 500 points to as much as 10,000.

425 Reviews

Mon Mar 21, 2005 3:39 am
View Likes
Nate says...

I think I finally have the dynamic avatar problem fixed...

The problem is with stupid internet explorer as it doesn't support the .png format, which means I have to make the browser jump through hoops to get the dynamic avatars, which are in .png format, to work. But, it should all be okay now, I think. I have it working on my internet explorer now, but I have had it working on ie before too.

So, tell me asap if you are using IE and if your dynamic avatar is working or if it's not working. If it's not working, please provide the following information:
1. The template you're using (YWS Steelblue, YWS Dark Blue, etc.).
2. The OS you're using (Windows XP, Linux, etc.).
3. The time and date of the problem with your timezone (timezone very important!!!)

425 Reviews

Thu Mar 24, 2005 9:52 am
View Likes
Nate says...

I'm still getting PMs about the dynamic avatar not working with IE. However, I've tested it and I think I know how to get around the problem.

Once again, the problem is with IE; this time around, it does not properly cache the images of the dynamic avatars so changes can take a long time to show up. However, rest assured that even if you do not immediately see the change (even after refreshing the page), the dyanmic avatar you just created has been saved.

To view it yourself, you can either wait until IE finally gets around to recaching the image or you can try the following (preferably in order, but the order is not that important):
1. Try logging out then logging back in. If that does not work...
2. Close your browser then reopen it. If that does not work...
3. Restart the computer

So even if you do not see the changes immediately, just keep in mind that they are there and IE will finally update the image in its own time (sometimes right away, sometimes not until you restart the browser itself).

There was nothing he enjoyed more than a good book. He'd wander into the study, take down some leather-bound volume, and eat it.
— Terence Brady (dog owner)