z

Young Writers Society

Report a site bug

80 Reviews

Reviews: 80
Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:09 pm
polinkacreations says...

Soooo, I sometimes get notifications that someone commented or replied on something I wrote on my wall (or someone else's), but when I click the link in the notification, it directs me to my empty profile (just my status, and nothing underneath).
It's been happening for a while now... :(
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

23 Reviews

Reviews: 23
Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:56 pm
View Likes
TheWorldIsMyLife says...

Hey there, Nate.

I use Google Chrome 24.0.1312.56m apparently, which happens to be up to date :D
This has been happening for a few weeks now. So whenever I click on my portfolio in my profile, it comes up with the works in one of my three folders. My folders are: "My Messed Up Life Chapters", "Poems", and "Short Stories". If I click on the messed up life folder, the chapters show up, as they should. But if I click on the poems or short stories folders, it just redirects me to the first folder. It doesn't seem to do it on other people's profiles but I just wonder if it's the same for when other users try to read my stuff.
I have Windows 7 as well.
"We can lick gravity but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming." ~ Wernher von Braun

33 Reviews

Reviews: 33
Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:37 am
ghostie says...

-
Last edited by ghostie on Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
TWO BY TWO, HANDS OF BLUE.

107 Reviews

Reviews: 107
Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:48 pm
Cadi says...

"implode()" has to be the best and also the most worrying function for the site to have :P
"The fact is, I don't know where my ideas come from. Nor does any writer. The only real answer is to drink way too much coffee and buy yourself a desk that doesn't collapse when you beat your head against it." --Douglas Adams

107 Reviews

Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:40 pm
View Likes
Cadi says...

Okay, and I'll make a serious comment, too.

I was avoiding reporting this because I figured it might be a side effect of changing servers that would go away/you were working on. And because last time I opened this thread, it seemed to go away.

In short, YWS has slowed to a glacial pace for me, avatars are (inconsistently) vanishing, and every time I visit a user profile I get this at the top of the page:

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_custom.php on line 241: imagejpeg(): Unable to open './images/avatars/mini/10419_1359193883.jpg' for writing: Permission denied
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_custom.php on line 241: imagejpeg(): Unable to open './images/avatars/mini/10419_1359193883.jpg' for writing: Permission denied

(Edit: Firefox 18.0.1, up to date, but I don't think this is a browser thing, from the comments below me.)
"The fact is, I don't know where my ideas come from. Nor does any writer. The only real answer is to drink way too much coffee and buy yourself a desk that doesn't collapse when you beat your head against it." --Douglas Adams

1334 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1334
Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:57 pm
Hannah says...

Seconding Cadi's concerns from a Chrome Browser, but willing to put up with them because I am able to navigate the site and switch to another tab/activity in the mean time.

So yes, there are weird things we're encountering.
But the site is not down. And I will work with that. There is time!
you can message me with anything: questions, review requests, rants
are you a green room knight yet?
have you read this week's Squills?

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:30 pm
View Likes
Kale says...

Thirding what Cadi said. It takes about three minutes (give or take two) to load each page enough so that the content is readable, and even longer for any images to load, if they load.

I don't see the debug warnings though.
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

Random avatar

Reviews: 161
Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:34 pm
kayfortnight says...

I use chrome too, and I'm having the slow loading, the people tab problem, and when I try to submit a work, the editor box won't appear. I really wanted to put in one of my new poems for review day, too.
This account proudly supports lgbt* rights.

107 Reviews

Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:42 pm
Cadi says...

kayfortnight - I just tried clicking Submit, and while there doesn't look like there's an edit box, I could see a little triangle of very faint dots, and just above and left of that was like the edit box but invisible - maybe try typing there and see if it works?

Random avatar

Reviews: 161
Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:04 pm
kayfortnight says...

No space like that when I tried it, and I tried clicking in the area where an edit box would be. Nothing.
This account proudly supports lgbt* rights.

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:56 pm
Nate says...

Using http://www.webpagetest.org, I just tested the load times for YWS from Dulles, VA; Miami, FL; San Jose, CA; Wellington, NZ; and Geneva, Switzerland. The slowest I got was from San Jose, and that was 6 seconds for the first load and .8 seconds thereafter.

Because the DNS changed, it may be something to do with that. On Windows, go to the start menu and type "cmd" in the "search programs and files" area, and then press enter. That brings up the command prompt. Then type "ipconfig /flushdns".

If that doesn't fix it, try using Web Page Test to run a site load test from the location nearest to you to find out if the problem is with your ISP or something else.

Cadi ->> Should be fixed now!

Kayfortnight ->> Since you were having page loading problems, my guess is that the javascript that handles the submission form timed out before fully loading. Try doing a flush of your dns (see top) and then try submitting.

107 Reviews

Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:13 pm
View Likes
Cadi says...

All my problems, they are gone! :3

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:03 pm
View Likes
Nate says...

Sorry everyone about the general mysql error that just popped up! Was trying to set up a new tmp directory for mysql, and it obviously didn't go over well.

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:07 am
crossroads says...

TheWorldIsMyLife wrote:Hey there, Nate.

I use Google Chrome 24.0.1312.56m apparently, which happens to be up to date :D
This has been happening for a few weeks now. So whenever I click on my portfolio in my profile, it comes up with the works in one of my three folders. My folders are: "My Messed Up Life Chapters", "Poems", and "Short Stories". If I click on the messed up life folder, the chapters show up, as they should. But if I click on the poems or short stories folders, it just redirects me to the first folder. It doesn't seem to do it on other people's profiles but I just wonder if it's the same for when other users try to read my stuff.
I have Windows 7 as well.

This, with different folder names of course, happened to me on Veeren's Portfolio just now. I'm on iPad, also Chrome, but I don't think it has to do with that..
• previously ChildOfNowhere
- they/them -
literary fantasy with a fairytale flavour

355 Reviews

Reviews: 355
Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:29 pm
LadySpark says...

The format on several of my pieces are messed up, for example here. When I go in to edit it, it looks fine, and then when I submit, it goes right back to the way it was. The font is screwed up too.

Not sure if there's anything I can do to fix it, and I'm sure you're aware of it, I just wanted to mention it.
hush, my sweet
these tornadoes are for you

-Richard Siken

Formerly SparkToFlame

Even strength must bow to wisdom sometimes.
— Rick Riordan, The Lightning Thief