z

Young Writers Society

Ads Are Back

192 Reviews

Reviews: 192
Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:43 pm
Aet Lindling says...

Found this topic because I was wondering about Googlebot, whom I just saw on the list of users online, and I have a scam website to report, publishamerica.com. I've seen it here a couple of times, but I only just saw this topic.
dun worry
it's all gun be k

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:06 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

Umm, I'm guessing "Plentyoffish.com Free Online Dating Service and Dating Site" isn't really appropriate for YWS?

Anyways, here's the link: http://www.plentyoffish.com/?dating=c_a ... EgodnGmhPQ
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

647 Reviews

Reviews: 647
Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:11 am
Alteran says...

Nate doesn't have control over the Ads google places on the site. Just remeber that any kind of literary agency or publisher that has advetisements is a scam. If they were legitimate they wouldn't have to advertise. (That goes for poetry contests and the like)
"Maybe Senpai ate Yuka-tan's last bon-bon?"
----Stupei, Ace Defective

192 Reviews

Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:18 am
Aet Lindling says...

Um... really? Uh... why wouldn't they have to advertise?

Don't Scholastic and all?
dun worry
it's all gun be k

192 Reviews

Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:41 am
Aet Lindling says...

'lo? Anyone willing to answer this enigma?
dun worry
it's all gun be k

614 Reviews

Reviews: 614
Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:12 pm
Swires says...

Adam I'm sorry to say this but you are wrong.

Thousands of companies such as vodafone, pepsi etc... Advertise through a system called Google Adsense. They pay google, and then Google blast their ad banners on millions of sites across the net that it deems "fitting." People like nate are publishers who have ads placed on there site in order to get a tiny portion of the cash that google receive from the big companies.

Google analyzes words on a page. for example if there is a romance story there will probably be dating adverts on that page.

Google Ads are mostly legitimate services. Scams are few and far between.
Previously known as "Phorcys"
Witherwings Harry Potter RPG

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:17 pm
Emerson says...

Phorcys, I don't think you're entirely right either...

Just remember that any kind of literary agency or publisher that has advertisements is a scam.

I haven't searched up on this and I have no facts, but that makes sense to me. A lot of the sites I've seen advertised [writing-wise] are scams. Pepsi isn't trying to scam us, but pepsi isn't writing theme...

I'm not saying this to agree with one person or disagree with the other, I'm saying it so other people don't get scammed. Better advice: research the company before going into anything with them.

Also, to answer the googlebot question, go check out the YWS blog. There is an article on there about it.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

614 Reviews

Reviews: 614
Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:11 pm
Swires says...

What? Me? Not entirely right? lol is that possible?

*ego deflation processing*

*...success! ego deflated. Please exit*
Previously known as "Phorcys"
Witherwings Harry Potter RPG

192 Reviews

Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:00 pm
Aet Lindling says...

er, yeah. But why would a publisher not have to advertise?

I mean, I guess their books are advertisements, but you can always use more ads...
dun worry
it's all gun be k

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:15 pm
Nate says...

AetLindling wrote:er, yeah. But why would a publisher not have to advertise?

I mean, I guess their books are advertisements, but you can always use more ads...

Why would a publisher advertise? You don't see Electronic Arts advertising for new video game designers. Nor do you see IBM advertising for a Supply Chain manager.

While there will always be exceptions, if you see a publisher advertising for new talent, then stay away.

As for always using more ads, take this example: books. You almost never see an advertisement for a book. Why is that? It's because 45% of a books sales comes just from the cover. Another 45% come from word of mouth. Only 5% to 10% of a books sales comes from advertisements. If you're a publisher looking to get the most for their money, then you'd spend any extra money you have on hiring a good cover artist and arranging book tours.

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:28 pm
Nate says...

By the way, to everyone reading this, I am still experimenting with ad placement. I just placed it over the header to see if that makes it less intrusive.

410 Reviews

Reviews: 410
Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:13 pm
Alainna says...

It is better at the top of the page. It's much less distracting.
Sanity is for the unimaginative.

Got YWS?

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:17 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

No, I didn't notice it when it was under the YWS logo, but now it's pushing the whole page down, and I'm finding it annoying.

What happened to the dancing YWS, and the army of pencils, btw?
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

134 Reviews

Reviews: 134
Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:24 pm
Empress Kat says...

I'm seeing a poll topic for next time! Where to put the ads? I vote the top of the page.
Plan B is always "Die Trying."

192 Reviews

Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:28 pm
Aet Lindling says...

He's pretending he doesn't know anything about it, don't bother. It's apparently a test to add a "really cool" feature to YWS, which also involved clone versions of us, which were bots, appearing in the Lounge. I was the only one who liked mine... :( BRING BACK AETLINDLANG! Please? I wuvved him... I never got to say goodbye...
dun worry
it's all gun be k

“And how shall I think of you?' He considered a moment and then laughed. 'Think of me with my nose in a book!”
— Susanna Clarke, Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell