z

Young Writers Society

Young Writers Literary Journal: Coming In Print Soon!

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:38 pm
Snoink says...

Wait... so you CAN'T publish anything that you've put on YWS?
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

387 Reviews

Reviews: 387
Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:09 pm
Kylan says...

Really??? That's not good...

-Kylan
"I am beginning to despair
and can see only two choices:
either go crazy or turn holy."

- Serenade, Adélia Prado

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:13 pm
Leja says...

...Or are you not counting YWS as publishing?

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:18 pm
Nate says...

Simultaneous submissions aren't allowed.

As for prior publishing on YWS... notify me of the story you want to submit, and I'll archive it here. However, I will only do this for stories published prior to August 5th, 2007.

But in any case, you should take the time to come up with a wholly original story. The deadline isn't until November 15th, which gives you more than three months.

497 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 497
Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:35 pm
Teague says...

Question: when we include our ages at the top, do you want our ages as of the date of publication, the deadline date, or of when we wrote it?

Also, is "short story" technically a genre?
"2-4-6-8! I like to delegate!" -Meshugenah
"Teague: Stomping on your dreams since 1992." -Sachiko
"So I'm looking at FLT and am reminded of a sandwich." -Jabber

22 Reviews

Reviews: 22
Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:12 pm
Cuni says...

I'm sorry, but I read and read everything possible, and I just don't get it: What's this journal thing? I mean, is it a book that will be published? Maybe I'll submit something.
"They are like scarecrows form a watermellon plantation. Do not fear them, for they can't do you any harm, and no good either".

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:22 pm
Emerson says...

I'm sorry, but I read and read everything possible, and I just don't get it: What's this journal thing? I mean, is it a book that will be published? Maybe I'll submit something.

It's not really a book, it's a literary magazine. But yes, it will be published. Does that clear it up...?
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

22 Reviews

Reviews: 22
Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:01 pm
Cuni says...

Not really, because the website says we can recieve a hardcover edition of the Journal. Magazines can be harcover?
"They are like scarecrows form a watermellon plantation. Do not fear them, for they can't do you any harm, and no good either".

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:04 pm
Sureal says...

I do believe it's an anthology of short stories and poems, and will be published in book form, with softback and hardback options.

^_^
I wrote the above just for you.

387 Reviews

Reviews: 387
Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:29 pm
Kylan says...

I'm not sure if you want to share this or not, Nate...

But how many people have submitted pieces to the journal? A lot? Not enough?

What's up stat-wise?

-Kylan
"I am beginning to despair
and can see only two choices:
either go crazy or turn holy."

- Serenade, Adélia Prado

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:53 pm
Jiggity says...

Ratings are PG-13 arent they? I was wondering..would you accept chapter excerpts? Or do you want self-contained pieces?
Mah name is jiggleh. And I like to jiggle.

"Indecision and terror, thy name is novel." - Chiko

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:12 am
Nate says...

So far, I think about 10 people have submitted to the Journal for probably about 15 or 16 submissions in all.

Chapter excerpts? No. Has to be self-contained. If this was going to be a quarterly thing, then maybe. But this is going to be hard enough doing it on an annual basis. However, you can always try shortening it up. As long as it's less than 25,000 words, we'll consider it.

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:40 pm
Sureal says...

Well, I've begun work on my submission. And a couple of questions have come to mind:

1) As this is an American publication, would you prefer it if I used American spellings (eg. color rather than colour)?

2) I usually used single quotation marks for speech, but I know that in the US double quotiation marks are standard: would you rather I used double?

3) I'm not too sure about the sort of language that can be used - how vulgar is too vulgar? Could, for example, 'damn' and 'hell' be used? How about 'b******'?

4) How violent is too violent? I know that some children's books can get quite violent (Darren Shan comes to mind) at times.
I wrote the above just for you.

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:06 pm
Twit says...

Too late now, I guess. I didn't get to properally think about this until a few days ago. *hits self*
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:30 pm
Snoink says...

ئ twit ئ wrote:Too late now, I guess. I didn't get to properally think about this until a few days ago. *hits self*

Well... today is the last day...
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

Who wants to become a writer? And why? Because it’s the answer to everything. It’s the streaming reason for living. To note, to pin down, to build up, to create, to be astonished at nothing, to cherish the oddities, to let nothing go down the drain, to make something, to make a great flower out of life, even if it’s a cactus.
— Enid Bagnold