z

Young Writers Society

Run-on Sentences

522 Reviews

Reviews: 522
Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:52 pm
View Likes
canislupis says...

Run-on sentences are without a doubt one of the most common grammatical errors here on YWS, and no wonder, for not many people even know what they are or how to fix them. Personally, when I read a piece or story they just jump out at me, but obviously this is not the same for everyone, so I’ve created a little guide to help.

What is a run-on sentence?
If you put two sentences (or independent clauses) together without a sufficient amount of signals (commas, semicolons, or connecting words), you have created a run-on. For more information on independent clauses and compound sentences, go here.
How do I fix them?
Excellent question! There are three commonplace ways to do so.

Method #1
Write the two independent clauses as separate sentences using periods.
Incorrect: The computer is a useful tool it can be used to write stories.
Correct: The computer is a useful tool. It can be used to write stories.

Method #2
Use a semicolon to separate the two independent clauses.
Correct: The computer is a useful tool; it can be used to write stories.

Method #3:
Use a comma and any one of the following connecting words:
For, And, Nor, But, Or, Yet, So
Correct: The computer is a useful tool, for it can be used to write stories.

Make sense? As you can see, correcting run-ons is quite easy once you find them.

But how do I find run-on sentences in my works?

If you’re anything like me, run-on sentences will soon become glaringly obvious when you read your work or someone else’s. For now, you can use this technique:
Read through selected text in your mind or out loud. Is there anywhere where a sentence feels rushed, switches between two ideas, or needs a pause in the middle for you to catch your breath? Chances are, it is a run-on. Now examine the sentence to see if it is joining two independent clauses. Every once in a while, you may see a really long sentence and think it's a run-on when it isn't. Really long sentences can be tiring but not necessarily wrong—just make absolutely sure.

Another method is to see if you can change the sentence into a question, like so:
"My favorite horse is an appaloosa."
Could be changed to:
"Is my favorite horse an appaloosa?"
While a run-on sentence like:
"My favorite horse is an appaloosa she is very sweet."
Would have to be:
"Is my favorite horse an appaloosa? Is she very sweet?"
This method is a bit round-about, but makes sense if you’re unsure about a particular sentence.

I hope this helps you, and good luck with your (hopefully run-on free) writing!

482 Reviews

Reviews: 482
Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:37 pm
Ranger Hawk says...

Lupis--great post! I love your technique of changing the potential run-on into a question. I have...issues...with run-ons, so it's a great tip that I know I'll be using. Thanks for posting! :D
There are two kinds of folks who sit around thinking about how to kill people:
psychopaths and mystery writers.

I'm the kind that pays better.
~Rick Castle

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Sat May 19, 2012 2:01 am
chiaro0990 says...

I like your topic, however the examples are too simple. Can you give me an example that you usually see in other books?
Good things happen to certain people.

Need a CONSTRUCTIVE review? don't hesitate to approach me.

May you never steal, lie, or cheat. But if you must steal, then steal away my sorrows. And if you must lie, then lie with me all the nights of your life. And if you must cheat, then please, cheat death.
— An Unknown Bride, Leap Year