z

Young Writers Society

What do I write?

370 Reviews

Reviews: 370
Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:06 pm
View Likes
Aedomir says...

A lot of people, just sit down at a computer, especially in NaNoWriMo, and think:

"I am going to write a novel!"

Then think:

"...What About?"

Is this writer's block or just forcing yourself to write? If you need ideas, then follow these simple tips:

1) Write down as many genres as you can think of. Romance, horror, action, fantasy...

2) Pick one.

3) Pick another one. You will now have two, hyphenate them. IE, horror-romance. This is your genre you will be writing about.

4) What do want to happen? Murders? Type in 'murder' on google news. Roman whodunnit? Type in 'Roman' on google images. OR you could just type in anything you like on google images, then search through them until something hits you.

5) Type in a word on a thesaurus, I suggest the one on MS Word. Keep clicking the synonyms, until you get somewhere completely different. Find the definition of the new word. This is your title, and the definition will guide you through your book.

6) Now, if you are doing fantasy, just draw a map randomly and stare at it until an idea pops up. Historcial fiction? Just stare at a timeline until one you like develops an idea for you.

You can keep doing this, possibly for every chapter. The key word is 'inspiration'.

That above was a very brief summary, of something intended when you are dire for ideas. When was it you first decided to wanted to be a writer, eh? Did you get a sudden inspired idea, or just see someone, like JK Rowling be successful, and become a wannabe?

Evidently, it doesn't matter. As I have discovered over many years of being a wannabe, you only need one word.

Determination

Sure, a good plot and writing style are necessary to make the result successful, but of it like a plant: There's no point just having leave, if the roots are dead.

Good luck!
Last edited by Aedomir on Sat May 24, 2008 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We are all Sociopaths: The Prologue

Sociopath: So • ci • o • path noun
1. Someone who believes their behaviour is right.
2. Human.

47 Reviews

Reviews: 47
Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:28 pm
View Likes
dragnet says...

Writing stories arn't as easy as that! It takes a good plot and plenty of mystery to keep the reader reading! If it were that easy, then books would't be like they are!
Many ask me if I see the glass as half full or half empty. Well, I don't know about you, but I see the glass as, WHO DRANK HALF OF MY MILK?!?!?!

370 Reviews

Reviews: 370
Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:32 pm
Aedomir says...

This is really meant for NaNoWriMo when you just need to write a story, like I pointed out. Are you determined enough?
We are all Sociopaths: The Prologue

Sociopath: So • ci • o • path noun
1. Someone who believes their behaviour is right.
2. Human.

I wondered why we put villains in our stories when we have plenty of them in real life; then I realized that maybe we wanted stories where the good guy wins.
— nogutsnoglory