Young Writers Society

Home » Forums » Community » Serious Discussion and Debate

Boxcar Children vs. Harry Potter

Post a reply
401 Reviews

Reviews: 401
Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:45 pm
Nate says...

Which series is better: the Boxcar Children or Harry Potter?
Owner, Founder, Site Administrator

YWS on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/youngwriterssociety
Twitter: https://twitter.com/yws_gazette
Tumblr: http://ywsgazette.tumblr.com/

Got YWS?

56 Reviews

Reviews: 56
Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:33 am
Attolia says...

Haha, I doubt you're going to get many who know of or have read the Boxcar series.

I say Harry Potter. From what I remember of the Boxcar Children books (which isn't much), they were very simple and innocent, and the world created wasn't very deep. Although, it is our world, not a fantasy world, but you guys get what I mean.

Harry Potter has the depth, the world-building, the maturity, and the characters going for it. So that's my vote. But it is biased, because I only ever read the probably the first three Boxcar Children books, whereas Harry Potter was a staple of my childhood and I probably still have the first five books almost memorized. Our generation is very biased toward Harry Potter. I basically grew up with Harry.
well you'll work harder
with a gun in your back!
for a bowl of rice a day

3676 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3676
Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:40 am
Snoink says...

I used to love the Boxcar Children! Still, I would probably go with Harry Potter, just because I eventually got tired of Benny being Benny. xD

I think a better poll would be Harry Potter vs. Animorphs. :P
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

306 Reviews

Reviews: 306
Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:48 am
View Likes
AlfredSymon says...

Owww! :P I can't think! Boxcar Children Series used to be my favorites, although I never really reached the exact age of their publication, but the Harry Potter books are the ones which really touched my heart ;)

Anyways, I'll go with the Harry Potter series. It produced more of another world parallel from ours which introduced another era of fantasy novels. It is less childish than Boxcar. HP books has more of a dark side which calls not only young 'uns but also the mature ones. I must say though, Ms. Warner has the skill to write a good novel. I love how innocent her books are written in!

But none can bit HP! ;)

Your HP Fanatic,
Al
Need some feed? Then read some! Take a look at today's Squills at In the News.

The Tatterdemalion takes a tattle!

"Stories are like yarn; just hold on to the tip and let the ball roll away"

53 Reviews

Reviews: 53
Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:04 am
Cole says...

Wow!

I haven't read a Boxcar Children book since the third grade (I think?). I think Harry Potter is more interesting, but I grew up with the Boxcar Children. This is a tough call!
My heart holds all secrets; my heart tells no lies.

~Hosea 6:3~
ונדעה נרדפה לדעת את יהוה כשחר נכון מצאו ויבוא כגשם לנו כמלקוש יורה ארץ׃

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:12 am
View Likes
Taxi says...

This topic has made me want to read The Boxcar Children. I think I'll do just that.

Still won't read Harry Potter though. :P
らき☆すた

My previous username was Lyricalias.