Home » Forums » Community » Serious Discussion and Debate

Your Views on Homosexuality

Post a reply
40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:21 pm
View Likes
TheDayBeforeTomorrow says...

So, as the title says, this is basically a debate about your views on homosexuality. I, in theory, am perfectly OK with it, and become very irritated and angry when there is a crude reference to homosexuality, as in, saying that it is disgusting and a bad example etc. etc. But since I've never really met any homosexual people, I don't think I'm a very good judge. It just appalls me that people would be so homophobic, even if it is in books.

Though just to make it clear, I have met some homophobic people. How we got on the topic is not of any consequence, but nevertheless, once I found out they're homophobic, I tried to get away from them as soon as possible. And no, I am not homosexual or anything, I just support their rights.

I feel really childish typing all this, but it's from my heart, guys. I am really grossed out when I hear on TV or read in the paper that people in the Middle East were prosecuted on bogus charges because they're gay/bi/lesbian, or that places where a lot of homosexual people go to party and stuff were closed down by homophobes on false charges, or that it's illegal in some countries, especially Muslim ones (no offense at all to anyone). I just can't believe that people would so strictly abhor something that they don't understand. It's really disgusting to me.

Whew, this is really long, but I must add another thing! I mean no offense at all to people who believe that homosexuality is an offense or against their religion, I just sincerely want to know why. And sorry if this is still offensive to anyone, and that this is so long!
Veni. Vidi. Vici.

People are made of places. They carry with them
hints of jungles or mountains, a tropic grace
or the cool eyes of sea-gazers. -EB

Love thy mangoes or die.

185 Reviews

Reviews: 185
Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:30 pm
View Likes
inkwell says...

Nice to meet you! You know, I was ready to disregard this thread but it's actually rather unique. You seem to posing the simple question of why people view homosexuality as inferior to heterosexuality. Most people will respond that their holy text informs them of this inferiority, or that they were raised in such a way. I can't imagine a different answer. But I, like you am curious.

P.S. Don't be so fraught with offending people. Sometimes people get offended for the wrong reasons. If no one was ever offended the world would be a much worse place. :)
"The most incomprehensible thing about the world is that it is comprehensible." — Einstein

3676 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3676
Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:57 pm
View Likes
Snoink says...

Eh, homosexuals are just like regular people, except they are romantically inclined toward the same sex. So, I think it's okay to judge that they are pretty cool people, since they are people and, in general, people are pretty cool. :)

As far as inferiority/superiority goes... they are equal to heterosexuals? I mean, just because someone is homosexual doesn't mean they're subhuman. That idea is ridiculous.

My church doesn't actually have gay marriage, but that's because my church requires that you consummate the marriage with your partner in such a way that you can produce babies from the sexual act. So, we're not actually allowed to have birth control and anal sex is not enough to consummate a marriage, among other things. So, yeah. Fun stuff. But, that doesn't mean we don't allow them in or whatever. They are people, after all! And, we're definitely not allowed to hate them, because hating is kind of against the whole "Love thy neighbor" commandment.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

135 Reviews

Reviews: 135
Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:25 pm
View Likes
stargazer9927 says...

Here's my take on it, although it might sound a bit contradictory.

Yes, they are people too, and we have no right to shun them or cut them down. Christians who do that don't understand their religion, because Jesus never judged anyone and neither should we.

With that said I don't agree with it. I think it's gross and I don't understand what goes through their mind, but I can't help but feel bad for them when I'm told they can't control it, even though I'm not sure if I believe them. I'm against gay marrige (sorry, but I'm being honest) and so is my church. Male and female were meant to go together, not anything else.

I have many friends that fall into this category, and although they're not someone I would hang out with a ton I still consider them people and my friends, so I would never say anything to offend them. But I can tell the difference between someone who just says they're interested in the opposite and someone who just wants everything they can get. I've met both types of people, and I think some make others look bad. Let's just say I'm more supportive of someone being gay than bi, because I can't feel bad for someone who's bi and not accepted (although like I said, I would never shun anyone).

This is a touchy subject, so please don't feel offended.
Let's eat mom.
Let's eat, mom.
Good grammar saves lives :D

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:01 am
View Likes
skwmusic says...

My viewpoint: As long as it is all consensual, I think any sexual act should be legal.

I could honestly give less of a flying piece of dog crap what you do in bed. Don't tell me how you and your spouse(s) do it and I won't care. Seems like a fair trade right? People who are grossed out by homosexuality are obviously ignorant or just ignore what straight people do in THEIR beds. Blowjobs anybody? I probably put a disgusting image inside your head right now but then, hey it was disgusting- we should stop this by preventing straight people from marrying. You see how ridiculous that argument of "it's nasty" is?

All these laws do is prevent people from being happy because some other person thinks what they're doing is bad. It's their lives guys. As long as no one is getting stabbed, it's a non-issue.
"I'm not concerned about all hell breaking loose, but that a PART of hell will break loose... it'll be much harder to detect." -George Carlin

53 Reviews

Reviews: 53
Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:50 am
View Likes
Cole says...

ust a correction, stargazer:
Jesus never judged anyone...

Christ said we could not judge. However, He judged people when He needed to. He was perfect (God), so He had the right to. Just wanted to make that clear. ; )

One of my best friends is Muslim and gay. He used to live in Afghanistan. I thank God everyday that he wasn't killed.

As for my thoughts on the subject, I agree with Snoink. They're people, they deserve respect and don't deserve to be treated any differently than everyone else.

Due to my faith, I do not believe that gay sex or marriage is right. I believe this because of The Holy Bible. However, Scripture does not disapprove of love. It merely condemns the sexual relations between two men or two women, for it defines sex as a holy gift from God to man and his wife. I believe love is love (exempting sex, though; I do not equate sex with love or affection). If a guy loves a guy and they are in a relationship, I think that is perfectly fine. They have my blessing.

As a Christian (unlike so many "Christian" zealots that condemn and dehumanize gay people) I believe we are all obligated to love other people, no matter what their lifestyle is.

People seem to think that I am judging gays or that I'm a homophobe just because I do not agree with homosexuality (this is referring to the sexuality). I believe in a steady, unchangeable path of righteousness, sure, but I'm not going to condemn other people because they have different beliefs or make different choices than I do.

I learned from the best (Christ) and He taught me to love all people, love them as much as I love myself. And He taught me that I have no right to condemn others, for I am condemned to hell for my own faults, too.
My heart holds all secrets; my heart tells no lies.

~Hosea 6:3~
ונדעה נרדפה לדעת את יהוה כשחר נכון מצאו ויבוא כגשם לנו כמלקוש יורה ארץ׃

Reviews: 0
Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:33 am
View Likes
thatguy1944 says...

I think marriage has become an overrated and silly institution. It is supposed to be a contract of love and commitment before god but for some reason the government has to get involved. Personally I don't believe the government should have any business in such a personal affair. As far as homosexuality, I believe it is something that can be a choice and a natural inclination. I don't anything wrong a heterosexual lifestyle nor a homosexual one. I believe that those who subscribe to a homophobic mindset are only limiting themselves. When you judge someone solely by their sexual identity you limit your perception of that person which only prevents you from growing as a person.

But everyone is entitled to their opinions. It only becomes a problem when the folks that are in power use their narrow-minded opinions to negatively impact the lives of millions.

501 Reviews

Reviews: 501
Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:39 am
View Likes
Sureal says...

Who cares. Leave other people's love lives alone. It's none of your business.
I wrote the above just for you.

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:40 am
View Likes
parigirle says...

I'm bisexual, so anything I say will be horribly biased. Obviously I'm not against homosexuality and I don't think people identifying as LGBT are inferior.

I'm curious as to what people who disagree with homosexuality will say though. I've seen two reasons for homophobia so far, and they are ignorance and religion. Ignorance is more forgiveable. Using religion as a basis for discrimination is pathetic, because religions preach acceptance and love. I greatly respect the religious people who accept LGBT people even if they don't personally agree with homosexuality, but, I'm sorry, I have little or no respect for anyone who uses an archaic text as an excuse for marking someone as inferior.

However, this is a debate board, so I will respond to one thing.

stargazer9927 -
I think it's gross and I don't understand what goes through their mind, but I can't help but feel bad for them when I'm told they can't control it, even though I'm not sure if I believe them.

I respect that you do not agree with homosexuality, and I don't take offense to that. It makes sense that you wouldn't understand if you're straight. However, it does confuse* me a bit that you would say you "feel bad for them" (please do not take offense to anything I say, this is a discussion). I am curious as to what you mean. Usually one feels bad for people who have a negative quality/illness, but labelling homosexuality as either one of those would be rather ignorant.

Now, I'm not saying you're ignorant, but I do feel like you should elaborate on that thought because there are a million ways to construe it as offensive.

135 Reviews

Reviews: 135
Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:36 am
View Likes
stargazer9927 says...

parigirle wrote:
stargazer9927 -
I think it's gross and I don't understand what goes through their mind, but I can't help but feel bad for them when I'm told they can't control it, even though I'm not sure if I believe them.

I respect that you do not agree with homosexuality, and I don't take offense to that. It makes sense that you wouldn't understand if you're straight. However, it does confuse* me a bit that you would say you "feel bad for them" (please do not take offense to anything I say, this is a discussion). I am curious as to what you mean. Usually one feels bad for people who have a negative quality/illness, but labelling homosexuality as either one of those would be rather ignorant.

Now, I'm not saying you're ignorant, but I do feel like you should elaborate on that thought because there are a million ways to construe it as offensive.

What I meant by that is I see their view. I don't know what it's like to think you're gay, but when I talk to someone about it I just feel horrible and wonder if they're actually feeling what they say they'll feeling. Sorry, I'm not very clear when I try to explain something.

And, yes, you should not bully someone and then use religion as an excuse, but that doesn't mean we have to agree with gay marrige and think it's right for our society. There's a difference.

And, Hayden, sorry about that. What I meant was he never brought anyone down, and he saw the best in everyone, no matter what they did. Judged was the wrong word to use there.
Let's eat mom.
Let's eat, mom.
Good grammar saves lives :D

185 Reviews

Reviews: 185
Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:06 am
View Likes
inkwell says...

Ewww, str8 sekz is moar gross!!!

No but really, I think this thread is the reason why same-sex marriage should be legal. In the context of state-issued (secular [NON-RELIGIOUS]) marriages, it boils down to one thing: the purpose of marriage.

Obviously barren couples may wed, and adoption is permitted. So same-sex couples meet every requirement for marriage that opposite-sex couples do, except thet they're the same sex. Since it's a secular marriage, religious preferences don't matter.

Just rolling with the comments so far, hopefully not too off topic.
"The most incomprehensible thing about the world is that it is comprehensible." — Einstein

243 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 243
Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:03 pm
View Likes
Blink says...

In Western societies, opening up this argument does nothing more than provide a platform for foolish homophobia (I'm being civil here). The debate should, really, turn to how we might best stop those in third world countries from being put to death for their sexuality... just saying.

On that note:

With that said I don't agree with it. I think it's gross and I don't understand what goes through their mind, but I can't help but feel bad for them when I'm told they can't control it, even though I'm not sure if I believe them.

I don't care, lol.
Last edited by Blink on Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"A man's face is his autobiography. A woman's face is her work of fiction." ~ Oscar Wilde

40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:06 pm
TheDayBeforeTomorrow says...

Wow, guys, I'm flattered that you considered replying to this at all! And those of you that said that they're against gay marriages, I'm not judging you or anything, I'm just glad you told me why, which is the point of this discussion.

I've always been curious about this, especially since I'm not a Christian, I'm Hindu. There's probably something similar in my religion, but frankly, I don't have the time nor the patience to find out, and I could care less.

I will reply to one thing, though:

Who cares. Leave other people's love lives alone. It's none of your business.

Sureal, I agree, kind of, that it's none of my business, but I do care, and it's not like I'm asking them why they're gay. I believe that everybody's unique, which they are, and if they're attracted to people of the same sex, then that's their business and they should be allowed to live, love and marry in peace. They shouldn't be considered inferior, nor should they be shunned.

I basically want to know why some people consider heterosexuality superior to homosexuality (as Inkwell said) and, for some people, why do they disagree with gay marriages. And I mean their personal opinion, not whatever their church believes. And if their beliefs are the same as their churches', then what is it and why do you believe so?

Just don't turn this into a religious debate, please.
Veni. Vidi. Vici.

People are made of places. They carry with them
hints of jungles or mountains, a tropic grace
or the cool eyes of sea-gazers. -EB

Love thy mangoes or die.

501 Reviews

Reviews: 501
Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:16 pm
View Likes
Sureal says...

Sorry, that wasn't directed at you. It was aimed at those who insist on interfering in the lives of others.

It's inevitable that this is going to turn into a religoius debate, though. Religion is the main cause of homophobia in the world, after all.
I wrote the above just for you.

53 Reviews

Reviews: 53
Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:17 pm
View Likes
Cole says...

I hope you guys don't think I'm a homophobe or hate gay people because I disagree with homosexuality due to my faith. I'm getting that vibe a little here.
My heart holds all secrets; my heart tells no lies.

~Hosea 6:3~
ונדעה נרדפה לדעת את יהוה כשחר נכון מצאו ויבוא כגשם לנו כמלקוש יורה ארץ׃