Young Writers Society

Home » Forums » Community » Serious Discussion and Debate

Religion in a School Magazine

Post a reply
51 Reviews

Reviews: 51
Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:52 pm
Cole says...

I run an art and literary magazine for my high school. The point of the magazine is to allow students to express themselves. It is published and then sold to the student body and is a great way for the students to share their ability with their friends, peers, and teachers.

However, I want to publish a short story of my own that contains strong Judeo-Christian themes in it. (It's a Biblically-based short story.)

I'm asking if you think I should publish it or not. The point of the magazine is to allow people to express themselves, but I'm worried about people getting angry about it. I've allowed all kinds of literature and art to be put into the magazine. But I'm not so sure about this.

I want to be able to express myself, just like I allow the students to do so. However, I don't want people to think that I will discard their work if it expresses a conflicting message with my own work. What should I do?

Thanks guys!

Remember, be polite, please. I've been having some health issues due to stress, so I don't need an aggressive argument or debate. I just need some advice.
My heart holds all secrets; my heart tells no lies.

~Hosea 6:3~
ונדעה נרדפה לדעת את יהוה כשחר נכון מצאו ויבוא כגשם לנו כמלקוש יורה ארץ׃

Random avatar

Reviews: 15
Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:01 pm
hopeispeace says...

I definitely think you should publish it. If you allow other types of religious/ non-religious people to publish things, then you should be allowed to express yourself as well. Religion is part of who people are, of who you are, so expressing of one's self should include religion. Just be sure that if someone of different beliefs wants to be published, you let them with no objection. Everyone should have a voice for what they believe.
~HopeisPeace

3670 Reviews

Reviews: 3670
Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:05 pm
View Likes
Snoink says...

Why don't you ask a teacher or someone who has helped run this literary magazine before to help you with determining whether what you have is appropriate or not? Ask them for an unbiased eye. I'm sure they'll be happy to tell you whether it is okay to publish it, with regard to school rules and such.

Good luck! :)
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

51 Reviews

Reviews: 51
Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:09 pm
Cole says...

That's a good idea, Snoink.
My heart holds all secrets; my heart tells no lies.

~Hosea 6:3~
ונדעה נרדפה לדעת את יהוה כשחר נכון מצאו ויבוא כגשם לנו כמלקוש יורה ארץ׃

185 Reviews

Reviews: 185
Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:10 am
View Likes
inkwell says...

It's art! :)
"The most incomprehensible thing about the world is that it is comprehensible." — Einstein