University 2012/13 Applicants

Post a reply
9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:56 pm
View Likes
Anoia says...

So, hey!

I'm applying for university this coming autumnd, and I wondered how everyone else is getting along with the whole trauma of finding a place to go that's not to far away, affordable, with reasonable entry grades/ UCAS point expectations, realistic, not too big, not too small... AARGH!

Seriously, it's a NIGHTMARE!

Basically, this is to discuss and help each other out over any Uni issues :)
"What we're trying to do is to write cricket bats, so that when we throw up an idea and give it a little knock, it might...travel."

95 Reviews

Reviews: 95
Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:39 am
View Likes
ZaddieCaso says...

I'm taking it you are English seeing as you call this University!

I'll be applying then too and I'm terrified. At the moment I'm just focusing on extracurricular studies. What do you want to do at Uni can I ask?

I'd quite like to do Medicine, or maybe Nursing or Midwifery (depends on the grades)
Everything has been figured out, except how to live.

Jean-Paul Sartre

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:49 am
View Likes
Pilot says...

I'm in middle school, but college sounds fun. One or two classes for each subject a week, but each class is a few hours, depending on what it is. I'd go for some sort of engineering, probably with aeronautical related fields.
I don't always write on forums, but when I do, I prefer YWS.

Sharpen your pencil, my friends.

714 Reviews

Reviews: 714
Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:51 am
Lava says...

Oh yes I am. I'm looking for fall 2013 in the US/canada. For my master's in life sciences stream or bioengineering.
Short listing is a nightmare!
I BLOG!
~
Pretending in words was too tentative, too vulnerable, too embarrassing to let anyone know.
- Ian McEwan in Atonement

sachi: influencing others since GOD KNOWS WHEN.

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:54 am
Pilot says...

Lexis made college sound bad xD
I don't always write on forums, but when I do, I prefer YWS.

Sharpen your pencil, my friends.

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:43 am
View Likes
skwmusic says...

I'm a high school sophomore but I think I'm already set on college. I already know what colleges I would like to get into and what I'm going to major in. For me I don't really care how far away my college is from home, in fact the farther the better. I want new experiences god damnit!(though I will miss the people here). I think the worst part for me will be resume building and interviewing. I have little on my resume besides being in varsity band and making region, and I plan on majoring in either physics or engineering.

also:
I'd quite like to do Medicine, or maybe Nursing or Midwifery (depends on the grades)

What the hell is midwifery? Because that honestly sounds like some patriarchal gender subordination thing, like learning how to be a good and faithful wife and staying in the kitchen and what not. I know I'm wrong (at least I hope so) but I'm just curious.
"I'm not concerned about all hell breaking loose, but that a PART of hell will break loose... it'll be much harder to detect." -George Carlin

81 Reviews

Reviews: 81
Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:21 am
View Likes
Pigeon says...

Midwifery is being a midwife - someone who delivers babies.
Reader, what are you doing?

86 Reviews

Reviews: 86
Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:28 am
View Likes
Karzkin says...

Do music or art - they don't care how clever you are, as long as your portfolio/audition kicks ass.
Do not go gentle into that good night.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

K's Killa Kritiques

#TNT

Inkwell: Straighties! Hahaha

3670 Reviews

Reviews: 3670
Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:33 am
View Likes
Snoink says...

I'm not applying for any colleges or universities this year, but I just wanted to tell you guys that you can totally do it and I wish the best for you guys! If you need any help with your application, you can bug me and I'll do my best to help. ^^
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

135 Reviews

Reviews: 135
Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:03 am
View Likes
stargazer9927 says...

When I found my college I thought of a few things

1. How big was it?
I hate large crowds and I didn't want to be just a number, to an extent that is.
2. What programs do they offer and excel in?\
whatever you decide to major in you'll need to find a good school for that so you can get a better job. My school wasn't known for English but it was known for teaching, and it had an English program so I was sastified.
3. Is it public or private, and is that okay with you?
I'm a religious person but I couldn't stand going to a religious school because I think I need to make my own choices and not have things forced up on me, plus I don't do religion for grades, I do them for my own benefit.
4. How much will it cost and can you afford to pay the loans back?
I'm going to a simple university, while my friend is going to a really nice and expensive private school. She pays over 10,000 more than me, but she's going to be a doctor and I'm going to be a public school teacher. Know what you can go and don't go to an expensive school if you don't have to.

Those are my words of advice. Good luck, and look around. I couldn't be happier with my choice on where I chose to go.
Let's eat mom.
Let's eat, mom.
Good grammar saves lives :D

714 Reviews

Reviews: 714
Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:24 pm
View Likes
Lava says...

JustSoNinja wrote:Lexis made college sound bad xD

But why? College is fun!
I BLOG!
~
Pretending in words was too tentative, too vulnerable, too embarrassing to let anyone know.
- Ian McEwan in Atonement

sachi: influencing others since GOD KNOWS WHEN.

9 Reviews

Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:16 pm
View Likes
Anoia says...

Hey :)
Thanks for all your replies!

I am going to be applying to study a degree in History, possibly Honours degree, though I'm not yet sure.

I hope you all achieve what you want to!

I've been thinking about going to York, Leicester, Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Cambridge and Durham.

How are things going with you guys? :)

P.S. Yes, I am from the North-East of England :D
"What we're trying to do is to write cricket bats, so that when we throw up an idea and give it a little knock, it might...travel."

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:31 pm
View Likes
parigirle says...

I'm applying to a collegial program called CEGEP. It's two years long and will essentially allow me to bypass the required bachelor's degree before applying to medical school; instead of doing a 4-year BSc, I will only have to do a one year medical prep. year, and then I can get into medical school. I'm in grade eleven right now so overall I save two years, and I can be 22 when I finish medical school.

I'm really excited but the CEGEP program I'm applying to is really elite and I'm not sure if my average is going to be high enough to get in. I've rewrote my letter of intent/essay almost six times and I still hate it. So stressful!

9 Reviews

Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:19 pm
Anoia says...

Also, I have a quick question: What's university like elsewhere? I mean, I know a fair bit about the ordeal we have to go through in order to even be considered here (sorry, ranting...) but what about other countries? America, for example? :pirate3:

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:52 pm
View Likes
parigirle says...

Well, I live in Canada. It's a little different from how it is in America, because we don't have standardised testing like the SATs/PSAT. Most universities here just accept you on the basis of your grades. You rarely have to write an essay. At least in my province, Ontario, most of your information goes through a third party - you tell them you want to apply, your school sends them your grades, and they relay that information to the university.

I actually think it's really easy to get into university here. Different universities have different minimums for your average. There's an university a couple of hours from here that will accept most people with above a 65 average, but McGill University has minimums of 87-93.

So at least where I live, it's pretty much you go through high school, do your best, figure out what you want to do, and then see what university will accept you with the grades you have, and if you have a few options, then you start thinking of school size, class size, campus, extracurriculars, location etc. Pretty easy.