13 or 14
No votes
15 or 16
5%
17 or 18
19%
18 and only 18, and my name is Snoink
35%
Back to 21 with a 3 drink minimum. Whoopah! Party!
14%
25 for developed brains.
3%
28, anyone who is younger is not a person and may be shot.
5%

Total votes : 37

163 Reviews

Reviews: 163
Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:27 am
View Likes
Kit says...

When I was a teenager, I was frustrated that I had no say in the people who funded my school and made laws I had to obey, that they effectively never had to answer to us. The extreme of this was when an 18 year old could be conscripted but couldn't vote, but you are just as affected by a government's choices, and really, you're the one's who ate going to be around to deal with the consequences.
What do you think? How old should you be to vote?
Last edited by Kit on Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Princess of Parataxis, Mistress of Manichean McGuffins

185 Reviews

Reviews: 185
Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:05 am
View Likes
inkwell says...

I'm surprised you have no option for 25. That's the age when our brains are fully developed, and I know some people who would argue for that age.

I don't know where you're from, but I live in the U.S. We actually (federally) reduced the minimum voting age to 18 because of the problem you present, in which people being drafted weren't voters.
"The most incomprehensible thing about the world is that it is comprehensible." — Einstein

163 Reviews

Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:19 am
View Likes
Kit says...

Australia.18. Same age as you have to be to drink, or have sex with someone of the same gender if you live in Queensland. Also we have mandatory voting, and preferential voting, preferential voting is lovely.

Not that I'm opposed to brain function being a factor, but not everyone is alike, some people are most interested in politics at 12, others write noting but curse words on the ballot at 45, despite their brains being developed. Is age the best qualifier? Why would it be better to be 25?

3670 Reviews

Reviews: 3670
Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:30 am
View Likes
Snoink says...

I say that when they legally become an adult, they should be able to vote. If that legal age is 18, then so be it. If it's 12, then so be it. But, it should be the legal age of being an adult.

And since I am American, I would say that the legal age should be 18. Not 17... 18. So, I am not voting in this poll because it's too ambiguous. XD
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

185 Reviews

Reviews: 185
Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:35 am
View Likes
inkwell says...

Well, let's say that you choose the first option: any age, if you know the issues.

What kind of test would suit such a voting license? And what if you're older than 18 but haven't the slightest clue about the issues?
"The most incomprehensible thing about the world is that it is comprehensible." — Einstein

163 Reviews

Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:44 am
View Likes
Kit says...

Eh, I'm not arguing for or against, I'm 22, I HAVE my suffrage, but hypothetically a basic test like your written for a driving learners permit.

3670 Reviews

Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:49 am
View Likes
Snoink says...

My name is Snoink and I approve this message!

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

81 Reviews

Reviews: 81
Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:59 am
View Likes
Pigeon says...

The voting age where I live is 18. I would like it to be lowered, mostly just because I want to vote already! I think 16 would be a good age. That's when a lot of people I know became politically aware.
Reader, what are you doing?

86 Reviews

Reviews: 86
Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:32 pm
View Likes
Karzkin says...

Pigeon, you're going to be old enough to vote by the next election.
Do not go gentle into that good night.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

K's Killa Kritiques

#TNT

Inkwell: Straighties! Hahaha

56 Reviews

Reviews: 56
Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:00 pm
View Likes
Napier says...

I think it should be done by school year, rather than age.
So, in England, I think those entering college should be eligible to vote, so around 16-17, depending on your birthday.
“It is the tale, not he who tells it.”
― Stephen King

“If you don't have time to read, you don't have the time (or the tools) to write. Simple as that.”
― Stephen King

Formerly BadlyDrawnLightning

3670 Reviews

Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:09 pm
View Likes
Snoink says...

BadlyDrawnLightning wrote:I think it should be done by school year, rather than age.
So, in England, I think those entering college should be eligible to vote, so around 16-17, depending on your birthday.

What if you don't enter college, or never go to college? Does that does that change anything?

163 Reviews

Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:17 pm
View Likes
Kit says...

For us you can drive and legally have intercourse at 16. Many of my friends had multiple kids before they could vote.

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:14 am
View Likes
Pilot says...

I think ages 15-16 are fine, as long as the voters understand the topics, and just don't vote who their dad says is the good guy.

Personally, I think there should be a quiz or something (simply asking political questions, not liberal or conservative) that asks general knowledge about politics once you're maybe 16.

I mean I feel I would be able to vote, seeing that I watch FOX news and MSNBC everyday out of boredom, but now I find it interesting.
I don't always write on forums, but when I do, I prefer YWS.

Sharpen your pencil, my friends.

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:47 pm
View Likes
parigirle says...

The voting age where I live is 18, and I think it should be higher. I don't know a particular age, but higher. Most of my peers are 16-18 and frankly, I don't trust any of them with a vote for who gets to run the country. I know there are a lot of extremely responsible, well-aware teenagers who would like a say (I know I would, and I'm 15), but in my experience, the majority of teenagers just don't care or don't take it seriously, and won't take enough factors into consideration before voting.

36 Reviews

Reviews: 36
Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:41 pm
View Likes
Lapis says...

I accidentally voted for the first option, but although it would have been best, I can see that this would provide an opportunity for parents to brainwash their children in order to get more votes for their family. So, yes, it should be 18 and my name is Snoink.
"Yeah, I am the brain, some say insane."

"Look for the missing link between your dreams and reality. Find it - it is the key."

-Used to be Letiki :3