Scientific Progress

Post a reply
3670 Reviews

Reviews: 3670
Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:13 am
View Likes
Snoink says...

First:

Now, with that done... where do you think we're going next in science?

Feel free to speak about the various fields of science, i.e., biology, astronomy, environmental science, physics, etc. Don't limit yourself to just one topic! Anything science is game. :)
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

86 Reviews

Reviews: 86
Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:49 am
View Likes
Karzkin says...

Mind reading!
Do not go gentle into that good night.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

K's Killa Kritiques

#TNT

Inkwell: Straighties! Hahaha

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:40 am
skwmusic says...

Read Michio Kaku's Physics of the impossible

I think it probes greatly into the depths of what we know could be, what progress has been made, and what could be if we made some drastic discoveries in physics.
"I'm not concerned about all hell breaking loose, but that a PART of hell will break loose... it'll be much harder to detect." -George Carlin

501 Reviews

Reviews: 501
Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:09 am
View Likes
Sureal says...

I think in terms of changing the world, 3D printers are interesting. So far they can't make much, but as the technology improves, things are going to get interesting.

For those that don't know, 3D printers are like normal ink printers ... except they 'print' physical objects. You can download the blueprint of the object from the internet, and then use the 3D printer to create it.

The Pirate Bay already has a section dedicate to physical objects to download. So far the most complex item on there (I believe) is a wrench - but it's complete with moving parts, and works just as a real wrench would.

If the technology ever gets to the point of being able to create complex objects, then internet piracy is suddenly going to hit way more than just the film and music industry.

Just imagine being able to download, say, an iPhone...
I wrote the above just for you.

95 Reviews

Reviews: 95
Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:06 am
ZaddieCaso says...

That's such a cool idea Sureal! I think at the moment we are taking huge leaps and bounds in the medical world,

Something really interesting is the amount we understand about protein folding. For those that don't know, a protein is made out of a long string of amino acids bonded together. These strings on amino acids form structures such as heamoglobin, horomones, enzymes and tissues.

Now we understand how protein folding works, we can actually start to create new proteins. People are starting to design enzymes and hormones that could catalyse huge reactions in the human body. Disease could be solved with specific proteins that reverse side affects. We could even in theory, stop ageing.

Ageing occurs every time our cells divide, every time they divide the genetic material becomes shorter (the telomeres) if we could stop this shortening or increase the growth of our telomeres, we could stop ageing, at least in theory.

Sounds far fetched, but in a few years it might even be possible.
Last edited by ZaddieCaso on Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Everything has been figured out, except how to live.

Jean-Paul Sartre

3670 Reviews

Reviews: 3670
Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:06 am
Snoink says...

We actually are! The first major protein like this was insulin, but there are many other proteins being designed for this purpose. :)
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

95 Reviews

Reviews: 95
Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:34 am
ZaddieCaso says...

That's a good example! Insulin, although naturally produced in the body, is also artificially synthesized for diabetics. We actually change the protein structure of insulin in manufacturing so it is absorbed quicker than regular human insulin would be, therefore stabilising the patients rate faster that if his own body was doing it on his own! Amazing...

Take a look at this!
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/01/110106145311.htm
Everything has been figured out, except how to live.

Jean-Paul Sartre

714 Reviews

Reviews: 714
Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:24 pm
Lava says...

Speaking of delaying ageing, there's a host of research on how stem cells (and its injects) can reduce ageing.

My sentences may not be exact, I'm just recollecting. I'll be back with links and stuff when I fins them.
I BLOG!
~
Pretending in words was too tentative, too vulnerable, too embarrassing to let anyone know.
- Ian McEwan in Atonement

sachi: influencing others since GOD KNOWS WHEN.