Young Writers Society

Home » Forums » Community » Serious Discussion and Debate

Do some things boys and girls say effect people?

Post a reply
115 Reviews

Reviews: 115
Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:24 pm
PixieStix says...

Okay, so this is about the title! For example:

Lets say I reply like this- I think when boys say "ohh i dont wanna go see a chick flick, they're stupid." it effects girls.

I can't find an exuse for girls so yeah so start!
:smt031
Last edited by PixieStix on Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
So you're the player?

Nice to meet you, I'm the coach.

179 Reviews

Reviews: 179
Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:49 pm
shiney1 says...

Um, please be more elaborate? What are the two arguments here? Please expand on what exactly you want us to talk about...
"If you ever have a problem don't say 'Hey God I have a big problem.' Rather 'Hey Problem... I have a big God and it's all going to be okay."

♂ + God = ♥
♀ + God = ♥
♂ + ♀ + God = ♥

81 Reviews

Reviews: 81
Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:28 am
Pigeon says...

Things that people say effect other people. I'm not sure that gender is a huge factor.
Reader, what are you doing?

3676 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3676
Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:46 am
View Likes
Snoink says...

XD

Yes! Whenever a guy says, "Oh, I don't want to see this movie" suddenly GIRLS MYSTERIOUSLY POP INTO EXISTENCE.

The girls that the boys effect, obviously, are quite surprised at being alive, and they ask, "Why did you effect me?"

Anyway! On a more serious note, just because a guy says something doesn't mean that girls will suddenly be effected at the words. Unless, that guy happens to be God. Otherwise, girls are normally effected through the process of the human reproductive system.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

81 Reviews

Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:11 am
Pigeon says...

XD I love you Snoink.

I was wondering if it should have been affect, not effect, and I couldn't remember which was which. Snoink's comment seems to suggest the affect is correct.

115 Reviews

Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:37 pm
PixieStix says...

Yes, but what do u guys think? What are some of the things boys say or things girls say that might affect people?
So you're the player?

729 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 729
Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:46 pm
Lava says...

I don't get your questions. I mean, saying 'I hate you' earnestly might probably affect that person.
Could you articulate your questoon better?
I BLOG!
~
Pretending in words was too tentative, too vulnerable, too embarrassing to let anyone know.
- Ian McEwan in Atonement

sachi: influencing others since GOD KNOWS WHEN.

81 Reviews

Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:22 pm
Pigeon says...

Okay, here's some gender related things which both boys and girls say, which adversely affect my happiness:

- "You just got beaten by a girl." (said as though it is the most disgraceful and implausible thing ever.)
- "Don't be such a girl."
- Any and all jokes about women belonging in the kitchen.
- Any and all jokes about women and ironing.
- "Women can't drive" jokes.

These things affect me because they infer that women are inferior, that femininity and masculinity are mutually exclusive, that it is degrading for men to be in any way feminine, and they reflect an unfortunate culture of machoism which I believe we need to reject and fight. However, both girls and boys say all these things, in my experience. So it is not specifically boys affecting girls.

115 Reviews

Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:38 pm
PixieStix says...

Pigeon3 wrote:Okay, here's some gender related things which both boys and girls say, which adversely affect my happiness:

- "You just got beaten by a girl." (said as though it is the most disgraceful and implausible thing ever.)
- "Don't be such a girl."
- Any and all jokes about women belonging in the kitchen.
- Any and all jokes about women and ironing.
- "Women can't drive" jokes.

I TOTALLY AGREE! Okay, so boys and girls say both things to eachother, so that's why I changed the title/ And Pigeon3, THAT IS A PERFECT EXAMPLE!
So you're the player?

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:22 pm
View Likes
skwmusic says...

I guess what you mean is like sandwich jokes on women and sports stereotypes on men? I'm not sure I understand your question but when you think about it, everything anyone says that is overtly or even tacitly prejudice has an effect on somebody. Some people are offended, and some people just don't care.
"I'm not concerned about all hell breaking loose, but that a PART of hell will break loose... it'll be much harder to detect." -George Carlin

107 Reviews

Reviews: 107
Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:13 am
View Likes
EnchantedPanda says...

I think you are referring to whether sexist comments are offensive to girls and yes of course they are. Some people don't really mind childish comments and the like, but generally people are effected by sexist comments. Probably because they tend to be stereotypical and imply that everyone of that gender is exactly the same which is of course very rude and offensive.