Young Writers Society

Home » Forums » Community » Serious Discussion and Debate

does Percy J and the Olympians Beat Harry potter? :P

Post a reply
40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:03 pm
TheDayBeforeTomorrow says...

Well, I'm a diehard fan of Percy Jackson and the Olympians through and through, so I'd say that they're better. :) But if you look closely, Harry Potter is definitely more popular than Percy Jackson. It's more well known, and much more influential than Percy Jackson, especially as PJO isn't very popular outside the US. Harry Potter has been translated into way more languages and has sold millions more copies.

This is my unbiased opinion, guys. Honestly, I swear on the River Styx, I'm a true PJO fan and I like it way more than Harry Potter, but it's definitely more popular than my fave series of all time. Face the facts. I don't like it much, but what can you do? :(
Veni. Vidi. Vici.

People are made of places. They carry with them
hints of jungles or mountains, a tropic grace
or the cool eyes of sea-gazers. -EB

Love thy mangoes or die.

107 Reviews

Reviews: 107
Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:08 pm
EnchantedPanda says...

Harry Potter famously written by the author Joanne Kathleen Rowling, came out in 30th June 1997.

Percy Jackson famously written by the author Rick Riordan, came out in in June 28th, 2005.

5 books have come out and only 1 movie? I mean, really? :O Maybe the movie of Book 2 should also come out.

The fact that they've only made one movie at the moment is probably just because the books came out 8 years later than the Harry Potter books did.

I do see what you mean though. I haven't seen any evidence that they are even planning to make another movie!

Reviews: 3
Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:15 am
View Likes
NicholasStone says...

5 books have come out and only 1 movie? I mean, really? :O Maybe the movie of Book 2 should also come out.

Uh, I don't think so. That would be a bad idea. The movie sucked and totally shamed the book as it was, please don't make a sequel. And, while Harry Potter does beat Percy Jackson (By a lot) it is still one of my favorite series, and eats up The Hunger Games and craps it out all over the place (I hope that wasn't too graphic).
He stumbled slightly, the limp in his leg still there. He dared not to look at the place he used to call home. He could feel the heat from the fire, the fire that he himself had ignited. He blinked back tears, as he limped away.

115 Reviews

Reviews: 115
Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:33 pm
PixieStix says...

Uhhh.... Okay? Haha. And I am a HUGE P.J fan. But I am also a HP fan. So I'm going to have to say I think both are amazing!
So you're the player?

Nice to meet you, I'm the coach.

Random avatar

Reviews: 15
Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:08 pm
View Likes
hopeispeace says...

Actually, I have to say that Harry Potter wins. Here's why:
1) It's just written better (in my opinion, anyway). Harry Potter's author throws in curves and develops each character from book to book. I have to say that Riordan, while being a great author, writes more 'on the surface' with his book.

2) Riordan is a bit too repetitive. I felt like I was reading the same book over and over and over . . . he just kept sending people on similar adventures, to where they would almost die, but then wouldn't die (because you can't kill off all of your main characters, so it was pretty obvious by the second book that they weren't going to Hades any time soon).

3) Harry Potter is more popular all over the world. Percy Jackson never really got further than the USA.

4) The movies! Harry Potter's movies stuck to the books better (actually, really well). The Percy Jackson movie was a great movie on its on, but didn't help make the book any better because of how different it was.

5) Originality. Mythology has been used in TONS of book series. In fact, if you've read any other Riordan books, they're all based directly on some kind of mythology. J.K. uses magic with her own twists that make it original.

Well, that's pretty much all I've got.
~HopeisPeace

173 Reviews

Reviews: 173
Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:35 am
Paracosm says...

What I was saying with the Color Blue vs. Sky analogy was, the sky is this really big vast chunk of awesome, and the color blue is just blue, and not so awesome. And stuff like that.
Review unto others as you would have others review unto you.

Don't panic!

Also, Shino!

115 Reviews

Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:44 am
PixieStix says...

I know :) people are so weird these days... :P JUST KIDDING!!
So you're the player?

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:09 pm
View Likes
SkyeDragon says...

Harry Potter is better than Percy Jackson, WAY better. I've read the Percy J. series and Riordan doesn't have the best writing. He uses slang while J.K. Rowling uses proper English....and British.
Every great writer was once an amateur.

115 Reviews

Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:36 am
PixieStix says...

They probrably use the slang because they really want to get into the life of the character and maybe they wanted to just wanted to make it more realistic.
So you're the player?

107 Reviews

Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:07 am
EnchantedPanda says...

If the slang is only used in dialogue then Pix is right but if it's being used anywhere else then I agree that is a problem! It really depends on the context it's used in. Like I said, if it's used in dialogue then it is actually almost commendable and definitely makes it more realistic. However if used in the actual book then that's just really messy writing.

115 Reviews

Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:23 pm
PixieStix says...

Well, if its in first person then they are aloud to use it. They are saying exactly what the MC would say. For example-

I took the dress from the shelf and hung it on the riggit old shelf in the back room. Just like mama, I washed it for when grammy came home.

See. Thats an example. I wouldn't have used Grammy or Mama if I wasn't the MC. But It's in first person so I am the MC.
So you're the player?

107 Reviews

Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:03 am
EnchantedPanda says...

Right! Pix is correct! If it's in first person it sounds odd if what they're saying is absolutely perfect because I don't know many people who talk formally or politely all the time, so it's weird in a story if they talk to their teacher as they would to their friends, for example:

"Hello Mrs Smith, I was just wondering what the homework was!"

as oppose to this:

"Hey mate, how are ya'? Just wonderin' what the homework was coz' I missed class, ya' know!"

So obviously these aren't great examples but for dialogue sometimes (such as in the second example) sometimes it makes sense to write exactly what the person is saying because it makes it so much more realistic!

135 Reviews

Reviews: 135
Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:34 am
stargazer9927 says...

I'm going to have to go with Harry Potter in all honesty. And that's coming from the person who owns more Percy Jackson books than Harry Potter books, and Rick Rioridan is my favorite author because I can look up to him and think someday I'll get to where he is, rather than looking to to JK Rowling and see everything I can only dream of being. I think they both have a great idea and plot, but yes, Harry Potter is written much better. I read both series in about the same amount of time so I can decide from there, but I do know I love Harry Potter and I couldn't possibly claim Percy Jackson as better, no matter how much I want to.
Let's eat mom.
Let's eat, mom.
Good grammar saves lives :D

115 Reviews

Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:47 am
View Likes
PixieStix says...

Kewl :)
So you're the player?

109 Reviews

Reviews: 109
Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:12 am
PiesAreSquared says...

Hairy Potty!!! that’s what I used to call him, anyway. Never read the books, any of them. Except parts of one Harry Potter book. I had nightmares, so I quit!
The moment you say that one set of moral ideas can be better than another, you are, in fact, measuring them both by a standard, saying that one of them conforms to that standard more nearly than the other. C. S. Lewis

I used to be ZLYF