Home » Forums » Community » Serious Discussion and Debate

does Percy J and the Olympians Beat Harry potter? :P

Post a reply
115 Reviews

Reviews: 115
Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:36 pm
View Likes
PixieStix says...

Make a statement! Does Percy Jackson And the Olympians REALLY beat Harry Potter by a longshot? Lots of people think so. Post YOUR opinion here! Here are the rules:

1. No yelling at people! :smt027
2. no foul language! :smt013 (You know what I mean ;) )
3. be polite! make this descussion fun! No one deserves to be offensed right? :smt022 - This is what i DONT want you do do okay? :smt014

So start! :D
So you're the player?

Nice to meet you, I'm the coach.

173 Reviews

Reviews: 173
Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:43 pm
View Likes
shiney1 says...

Wait, who are these "lots of people" exactly?

I myself have not read Harry Potter and don't want to, and love the Percy Jackson series, but I have not noticed people loving it more than Harry Potter at all.

Who are you looking at????
"If you ever have a problem don't say 'Hey God I have a big problem.' Rather 'Hey Problem... I have a big God and it's all going to be okay."

♂ + God = ♥
♀ + God = ♥
♂ + ♀ + God = ♥

115 Reviews

Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:45 pm
View Likes
PixieStix says...

people in my school and people here on YWS love it! and Harry potter is the new guy in our school, and Percy Jackson is the popular dude! (I guess)
So you're the player?

336 Reviews

Reviews: 336
Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:20 am
View Likes
Jas says...

Harry Potter became internationally best selling and is one of, maybe the most influential novel series' of the last decade. Percy Jackson isn't extraordinarily popular outside of the United States. It isn't even extraordinarily popular in the US.

Harry Potter is the obvious winner.
I am nothing
but a mouthful of 'sorry's, half-hearted
apologies that roll of my tongue, smoothquick, like 'r's
or maybe like pocket candy
that's just a bit too sweet.

~*~

135 Reviews

Reviews: 135
Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:36 am
View Likes
stargazer9927 says...

Can't decide! Harry Potter and Percy Jackson are my two favorite series, and Rick Riordian is my all-time favorite author. But do you go to middle school? If so, that would explain it. I've seen both at my school but I think Harry Potter would win. I refuse to choose though, because I couldn't. But someone really screwed the movie up, so let's not look at that and no one should comment if they've only seen the movie.
Let's eat mom.
Let's eat, mom.
Good grammar saves lives :D

107 Reviews

Reviews: 107
Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:54 am
View Likes
EnchantedPanda says...

Does Percy Jackson And the Olympians REALLY beat Harry Potter by a longshot? Lots of people think so.

The Harry Potter series has been made into 8 movies and the books translated into 70 languages. The final book sold 15 million copies in the first 24 hours alone and JK Rowling is the best selling British author- many even say she is the best author of all time. The whole series has sold over 400 million books.

The Percy Jackson series has been only turned into one movie so far and the books had been published in little over 10 countries. More than 20 million copies of the books have been sold.

Both of these are tremendous book series but just looking at these stats alone I find it hard to believe that Percy Jackson can, as you put it "beat Harry Potter by a longshot?"

Reviews: 1
Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:58 am
View Likes
livluvroc says...

personally, i like percy jackson WAYYY better than harry potter, and ive read and watched the books and movies for both. in my school, percy jackson is the way to go(jas=its popular in canada,too!).
....has any one else noticed that harry and percy both have black hair and green eyes?
When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.

115 Reviews

Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:36 am
PixieStix says...

Lol i agree! I lovePercy Jackson but i have not realized it! Wow thats interesting!
So you're the player?

336 Reviews

Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:46 am
View Likes
Jas says...

livluvroc, I say it isn't extraordinarily popular anywhere outside of the US and that's true.

On opening day, the last Harry Potter novel sold 8.3 million copies. The latest Percy Jackson novel sold 1.3 million on the first day. Overall, over 400 million copies of the Harry Potter series has been sold worldwide. Little over 20 million copies of the Percy Jackson series has been sold.

This is all statistics of course.

Also: Lots of people have black hair and green eyes...like...millions...
I am nothing

~*~

336 Reviews

Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:48 am
View Likes
Jas says...

Well, I sound redundant. I didn't see DreamingForever's post.

Whatever. It's still true.

In terms of popularity and sales, J.K. Rowling is clearly the better author.
I am nothing

~*~

115 Reviews

Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:53 am
View Likes
PixieStix says...

Can we please keep this freiendly? Theres no right ir wrong answere here. We are just here for opionions alright? Read the rules at the first post of this! People might get offended!
So you're the player?

173 Reviews

Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:07 am
View Likes
shiney1 says...

No one is being rude...

But Jas and Dreaming have made a big point.
Harry Potter has made much more revenue and has gained much more popularity worldwide than Percy Jackson has. I doubt the Olympian series even comes close the Harry Potter in those terms.

This does not mean that the Percy Jackson series is bad, for I really love it (and need to read the latest one...) but it just is not as big a series as Harry is.

So in those aspects, Harry is winning.
But the fans can still have the heart :)
"If you ever have a problem don't say 'Hey God I have a big problem.' Rather 'Hey Problem... I have a big God and it's all going to be okay."

♂ + God = ♥
♀ + God = ♥
♂ + ♀ + God = ♥

140 Reviews

Reviews: 140
Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:28 am
View Likes
XxMattxX says...

Percy Jackson all the way...
The Harry Potter Series has never been my cup of tea. Yeah, many have bought into that series, but I haven't. So it may rake in the dough, I just not feelin' it.
Globally, though, it's more popular.
Solvalery/GeeLyria Fans
Link

336 Reviews

Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:17 am
View Likes
Jas says...

Pixie2 wrote:Can we please keep this freiendly? Theres no right ir wrong answere here. We are just here for opionions alright? Read the rules at the first post of this! People might get offended!

I don't believe anyone was being unfriendly. This is not a debate based on opinion. You asked whether Percy Jackson beats Harry Potter by a long shot. It clearly does not.

If you can't maturely handle the fact that other people can be right about things, then maybe you shouldn't open discussion which have obvious, rather than ambiguous answers.

Also: Please use proper grammar and spelling in your posts. This is a writing website and it is in the rules.
I am nothing

~*~

173 Reviews

Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:32 am
View Likes
shiney1 says...

Jas, I agree with you in that maybe Pixie should not be so sensitive and should post more debate-appropriate topics in this forum. And always use correct grammar.

But she is just 13 years old, guys. She has a long way to go, so try not to go at her like you would someone like inkwell, Nate or Lumi.

Pixie, I think you should try to condition yourself to be less sensitive when coming to this forum, it's full of hard-heads ;) Not a good place for a soft skull.
No one has said anything offensive so far, I assure you.
So maybe you should give yourself time until you can handle the kind of discussions that go on here before putting your two-cents out.

Just some advice ;)

But yeah, as far as this discussion goes, Harry trumps Percy in popularity and revenue. But it does not have to be in likeability.

♂ + God = ♥
♀ + God = ♥
♂ + ♀ + God = ♥