Valentines Day

Post a reply
56 Reviews

Reviews: 56
Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:34 pm
Napier says...

What do you guys think of it?

Shameful consumerist by-product?

Or a great way to ask someone out/ propose/ or just declare your love?

Basically, discuss thoughts, feelings and any past experiences with Valentines Day here.
“It is the tale, not he who tells it.”
― Stephen King

“If you don't have time to read, you don't have the time (or the tools) to write. Simple as that.”
― Stephen King

Formerly BadlyDrawnLightning

32 Reviews

Reviews: 32
Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:07 pm
View Likes
Sandvich says...

Valentines Day was made by companies to bring in more income. There's not really much to say against that; it's a corporate holiday, if one can call it a holiday.
However, it seems to have caught on in Western culture so much that it IS a great day to ask someone out/declare your undying love for someone/sit in the corner sobbing "why doesn't he/she love me!?" to melancholy music. I mean, I'm not particularly experienced in any of those three areas, and while it may seem cliché, it obviously happens.
Personally, I think it's a stupid idea. But, eh, each to his/her/it's own.
The Fear Contest - Winners

1st Place - Hit the Black by mikeypro
2nd Place - Makeshift Calamity by jcipriano1
3rd Place - Ashes and Blood by HaydenSmith

"And so I arrive, like a sudden windstorm at a kindergarten picnic!" - Dimentio

56 Reviews

Reviews: 56
Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:00 am
Attolia says...

Yeah, it's obviously just a contrivance. But as is every holiday. You can make of them what you will; they're there if you want the excuse, but if you don't, you don't have to participate. I like the existence of holidays, though. I think society needs them or else life would be too monotonous.
well you'll work harder
with a gun in your back!
for a bowl of rice a day

107 Reviews

Reviews: 107
Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:12 am
EnchantedPanda says...

:smt007 :smt008 Valentines day... After some research I found that:

1) "In the two weeks before Valentine’s Day, American sales of gold jewelry lead to 34 million metric tons of waste."
2) "Majority of roses sold for Valentine’s Day in the U.S. are imported from South America, wasting fossil fuels."
3) "Forty percent of people have negative feelings towards Valentine’s Day."

It made me feel sad that just because of one day all of these can happen. Then after some more research I realized that even though there are a lot of negative things about valentines day it's not all bad. It does bring some people closer and for a lot of people it's a good time to share your true feelings and feel loved.

So I personally don't like valentines day, but I admit there are some good things about it.

53 Reviews

Reviews: 53
Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:15 am
Cole says...

Saint Valentine's Day was originally a religious holiday to celebrate the life of Saint Valentine who helped Christians marry secretly (maybe this is where the love theme came from?) due to persecution in the Roman Empire. He is also celebrated for being a Christian martyr.
My heart holds all secrets; my heart tells no lies.

~Hosea 6:3~
ונדעה נרדפה לדעת את יהוה כשחר נכון מצאו ויבוא כגשם לנו כמלקוש יורה ארץ׃

3676 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3676
Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:25 am
View Likes
Snoink says...

I celebrate it as a feast day. So, for the past couple of years, I've been going to the battered women shelter and helping a Christian group preach the gospel to these women. We also feed them and play games with their children. So, it's fun. :) I moved, so I don't get to do that this year... but we'll do something good, I am sure!

I don't really see it as a romantic day at all. But I see it as a day full of love. :D It's wonderful!
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

107 Reviews

Reviews: 107
Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:56 am
EnchantedPanda says...

I celebrate it as a feast day. So, for the past couple of years, I've been going to the battered women shelter and helping a Christian group preach the gospel to these women. We also feed them and play games with their children. So, it's fun. :) I moved, so I don't get to do that this year... but we'll do something good, I am sure!

I don't really see it as a romantic day at all. But I see it as a day full of love. :D It's wonderful!

Your valentine's day sounds amazing Snoink!! :D

336 Reviews

Reviews: 336
Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:50 am
View Likes
Jas says...

I think it's cute.

But only in the way viral videos of pandas sneezing are cute; look at it for a few minutes, smile and move on.
I am nothing
but a mouthful of 'sorry's, half-hearted
apologies that roll of my tongue, smoothquick, like 'r's
or maybe like pocket candy
that's just a bit too sweet.

~*~

115 Reviews

Reviews: 115
Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:10 pm
PixieStix says...

I love valentines day... Actually this valentines day i might actually ask someone out... I dont know. <3 but i think valentines day is AMAZING! It gives people time to think about there relationships with other people, maybe even talk about it. And its always so sweet to start an relationship on valentines day. So overall, i think valentines day is the one day where love is important. So yes, valentines day is meaningful!
So you're the player?

Nice to meet you, I'm the coach.

Reviews: 3
Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:19 am
Sevenity says...

Depends on who you are, your situation, and your interpretation of Valentine's Day...

Obligation vs. Opportunity. Consumerist vs. Old Tradition. Loneliness vs. Bonding. And there are probably more.

I think Valentine's Day is about the other person, whether he/she be husband, wife, lover, partner, crush, girlfriend, boyfriend, etc. You do something that makes yourself and your significant other happy, but put more effort towards the other person.

So, though I dislike Valentine's Day because of its consumerist premise, I do enjoy getting something special and making my boyfriend happy. Now, keep in mind that getting something special can be done any day of the year. However, to me, on Valentine's Day that something special seems more special just because of the fact that it's Valentine's Day as compared to any other day of the year. So, even though some people see it as an obligation (which I believe it is, but that's not all it is) and do not enjoy going through the motions of dinner, roses, chocolates, lingerie, spa, getaway, etc., I see it as an opportunity to express/confess your love/appreciation for that other person. I mean, other than Christmas, when else can you find so much stuff and get so many ideas for your special someone??
It goes like this
the fourth, the fifth
the minor fall
the major lift