Young Writers Society

Home » Forums » Community » Serious Discussion and Debate

On the topic of enjoying silence

Post a reply
12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:15 am
mattimias says...

Or rather, more of a partial silence, a partial isolation and to be solitary. What are your thoughts on this?
I am... RealmStrike. Fear me.

86 Reviews

Reviews: 86
Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:27 pm
View Likes
Karzkin says...

Nothing to hear here folks.
Do not go gentle into that good night.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

K's Killa Kritiques

#TNT

Inkwell: Straighties! Hahaha

185 Reviews

Reviews: 185
Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:16 pm
View Likes
inkwell says...

I can't go without at least an hour a day of silent solitude. But I'd wager that it's different for everyone.
"The most incomprehensible thing about the world is that it is comprehensible." — Einstein

86 Reviews

Reviews: 86
Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:24 am
View Likes
Karzkin says...

Inkwell's nailed it, I guess it's up to the individual. Personally, I quite enjoy both silence and isolation.
Do not go gentle into that good night.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

K's Killa Kritiques

#TNT

Inkwell: Straighties! Hahaha

36 Reviews

Reviews: 36
Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:50 pm
Lapis says...

I can live without it, but that would be horrible... I, by nature, am an introvert, and most introverts need silence. PEACE! :mrgreen:
"Yeah, I am the brain, some say insane."

"Look for the missing link between your dreams and reality. Find it - it is the key."

-Used to be Letiki :3

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:00 pm
Anoia says...

Personally, I can spend hours in silence, away from other people... bliss :) How else can one concentrate on oneself without seeming selfish, and reflect without untimely disruption, as so oft happens otherwise? :D
"What we're trying to do is to write cricket bats, so that when we throw up an idea and give it a little knock, it might...travel."

12 Reviews

Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:08 pm
Pilot says...

I need silence for at least 30 minutes a day. You may not understand, but by silence I mean nonhuman interaction. I may have music playing but turned down low, or something like that. And I agree, it's different for everyone.
I don't always write on forums, but when I do, I prefer YWS.

Sharpen your pencil, my friends.

163 Reviews

Reviews: 163
Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:29 am
View Likes
Kit says...

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/4%E2%80%B233%E2%80%B3
Princess of Parataxis, Mistress of Manichean McGuffins

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:46 am
skwmusic says...

I need silence for sleep.

But besides that I can deal with noise...until I read. Especially if it's a good book. I need COMPLETE silence. Like maybe some classical music if I'm feeling it, but otherwise none. Otherwise I can't focus (darn you brain for not having multi-tasking skills!).
"I'm not concerned about all hell breaking loose, but that a PART of hell will break loose... it'll be much harder to detect." -George Carlin

56 Reviews

Reviews: 56
Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:27 am
Attolia says...

This used to be me a lot, and I still need silence/solitude occasionally. There's something in its nature that can allow for crazy in-depth thought. But lately I don't like to be alone with my thoughts; I'm already enough of an introvert without adding silence to it. I need music or, mostly, company. I have to go to my friends' rooms and seek out their company (even while doing homework or such, like now) or I get lonely and mental as **** left alone with only my thoughts. But as everyone else is saying, to each his own.
well you'll work harder
with a gun in your back!
for a bowl of rice a day

3676 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3676
Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:27 am
Snoink says...

Kit wrote:http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/4%E2%80%B233%E2%80%B3

That was actually offered for free on iTunes on April Fool's Day. I downloaded it, of course. :twisted:
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:42 am
View Likes
Taxi says...

During the day, I have no real preferences. However, I can't fall asleep at night in pure silence. I keep my fan on regardless of the temperature for the ambient noise it produces.
らき☆すた

My previous username was Lyricalias.

12 Reviews

Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:11 am
Pilot says...

Lyricalias wrote:During the day, I have no real preferences. However, I can't fall asleep at night in pure silence. I keep my fan on regardless of the temperature for the ambient noise it produces.

I'm like that as well. I prefer the noisy ones. Even if it is already frigid, I aim the fan at me because I sleep better all snuggled up, I guess. So staying cold makes me snuggle. That's why the summer results in some sleepless nights for me. :)
I don't always write on forums, but when I do, I prefer YWS.

Sharpen your pencil, my friends.

95 Reviews

Reviews: 95
Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:43 am
ZaddieCaso says...

I forget how much I enjoy silence until I'm walking my dog in the evening.

It's always so quiet, and that's the only time I realise just how much noise we become accustomed to during the day. It's totally unconscious until I'm alone in a field somewhere, and then I just always realise again just how peaceful silence really is.

I agree with the above, sometimes solitude or silence, is really enjoyable.
Everything has been figured out, except how to live.

Jean-Paul Sartre

Random avatar

Reviews: 15
Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:07 pm
View Likes
hopeispeace says...

Well, I enjoy not being captive in conversation every once in a while, with the lack of another presence to make silence awkward. So, yeah, I guess I like to have time alone. But not in silence, I'll always have music on, the genre depending on what I'm doing. If I want to concentrate on writing or something like writing, I'll put lyric-less music on, but normally I'll have on Nirvana or Pink Floyd, or something like that. But that's just me.
~HopeisPeace