Young Writers Society

Home » Forums » Community » Serious Discussion and Debate

SOPA and PIPA

Post a reply
9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:58 pm
ArahAkachi1 says...

Whats your view on the discussion of SOPA and PIPA to censor the internet?
Writing your name can lead to writing sentences. And then the next thing you'll be doing is writing paragraphs, and then books. And then you'll be in as much trouble as I am!

185 Reviews

Reviews: 185
Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:38 pm
View Likes
inkwell says...

I guess I land on the popular side of the fence. The current language is not acceptable, even IF there's good intentions.

For what it's worth I took Wikipedia's suggestion to contact my senator, despite that doing nil in the past.
"The most incomprehensible thing about the world is that it is comprehensible." — Einstein

3670 Reviews

Reviews: 3670
Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:17 am
View Likes
Snoink says...

This pretty much summarizes my thoughts.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

268 Reviews

Reviews: 268
Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:57 pm
View Likes
fireheartedkaratepup says...

I don't think you'll get much debate on this one. XD Most people here are against both.
"Ok, Lolpup. You can be a girl worth fighting for."
--Pengu

360 Reviews

Reviews: 360
Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:55 am
View Likes
Lavvie says...

What Pup said.

However, if this (SOPA/PIPA) had been introduced when the internet was first becoming popular and all, I might be more in agreement and there probably wouldn't have been so much controversy over it. People wouldn't have known better.

Now, though, I think it's much to late to have introduced these things. The internet is so huge and part of most people's daily lives that it would be silly to remove certain things that are really popular (like Wikipedia, Reddit, YouTube etc) from the cyber-world. It's too late now. And if you want to think of it money-wise, many people are paid for their work with Wikipedia and/or YouTube and so it could potentially take away jobs for some people.

Anyway. My thoughts.

47 Reviews

Reviews: 47
Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:04 pm
View Likes
purpleandblue22 says...

A kid in my journalism class actually dressed up as a pirate for two weeks in protest. The entire group cheered him on. I think that sums it up perfectly.
"When a resolute young fellow steps up to the great bully, the world, and takes him boldly by the beard, he is often suprised to find it comes off in his hand, and that it was only tied on to scare away the timid adventurers."Ralph Waldo Emerson