Twilight <3 or Harry Potter :)?

Post a reply
115 Reviews

Reviews: 115
Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:59 pm
PixieStix says...

Okay just to make things clear-

first I am going to state HP-

This is about a silly "wizard" Story which gives no intention because there is already lot of wizard movies and from my point of veiw lots of people are getting tired of these un-reasonable wizard-adaventure-love stories :smt027 whearas in Twilight Bella ahs to struggle to esacpe her love for a vampire in the 2nd book which gives its "mosterous" and exiting theory becuase you rarely see a teenage girl to be that daring enough to wanna become a bloodsucking demon. I mean seriously! and also In twilight, jacob has the love for bella which gives her 2 chioces( to say normal or be turned into a vampire and marry Edward) This gives tention to the series. In HP There is no cliffhangers.

so my vote is- Twilight.
So you're the player?

Nice to meet you, I'm the coach.

261 Reviews

Reviews: 261
Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:41 pm
View Likes
SparkToFlame says...

Pixie2 wrote:Okay just to make things clear-

first I am going to state HP-

This is about a silly "wizard" Story which gives no intention because there is already lot of wizard movies and from my point of veiw lots of people are getting tired of these un-reasonable wizard-adaventure-love stories :smt027 whearas in Twilight Bella ahs to struggle to esacpe her love for a vampire in the 2nd book which gives its "mosterous" and exiting theory becuase you rarely see a teenage girl to be that daring enough to wanna become a bloodsucking demon. I mean seriously! and also In twilight, jacob has the love for bella which gives her 2 chioces( to say normal or be turned into a vampire and marry Edward) This gives tention to the series. In HP There is no cliffhangers.

so my vote is- Twilight.

Harry Potter has no cliff hangers? WHAT. Okay, I'm probably going to offend people saying this, but I'm going to say exactly what I think about it all..

Mkay, in Harry Potter there is the on going romance between Ron and Hermonie, one of the best things in the book. There is Lupin and Tonks too. OH! Snape and Lily <3

Harry breaks up with Ginny, the love of his life to protect her.
What does Edward do? Oh yeah, WATCH HER WHILE SHE SLEEPS.

From a literary stand point, JK Rowling's writing was just better. There are no if ands or buts. There was an actual plot. There was an actual goal. And, she did years of research. There are all kinds of echos of bible stories, greek and roman myths, etc.
Twlight is a teenage drama that tries to convince teenagers it's okay to have sex and get married and run away when your (I think Bella is 17?) 17.
Also, think how SICK it is as well. a (how old is Edward?) how ever old he is vampire lusts after a seventeen year old. That's just wrong.

Harry Potter is about confronting fears, finding inner strength and doing what is right in the face of adversity. Twilight is about how important it is to have a boyfriend.

-Stephen King

This statement is so very correct. Twilight IS about the importance of a boyfriend.

Also, I'm still waiting for people to explain the plot to me. Because as far as I can see, there isn't one.

From a writers stand point, JK Rowling wrote a detailed, researched series that instantly got tallied up with The Lord of the Rings, and other famous WELL WRITTEN series.

Twilight is a good book to read when you're looking for a stupid, underdevolped romance. And I admit, I have been in that mood.

HPALLTHEWAYBABY<3.

AMEN.

Spark out.
And, I hate Twilight, I think it's stupid and I don't understand why anybody likes it, but we all have our own opinions, so I hope I didn't step on anyone's toes.
"There's no yellow bricks to follow back and run from that disaster...
Believe me...
There's no place like home."

Formerly SparkOfDoubt

135 Reviews

Reviews: 135
Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:48 pm
stargazer9927 says...

^^
Couldn't have said it better myself! Bravo! You certainly didn't offend me :D
Let's eat mom.
Let's eat, mom.
Good grammar saves lives :D

187 Reviews

Reviews: 187
Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:36 pm
Blues says...

I disagree, as I've read Twilight and Harry Potter and I think the latter is better.

However, we've all got our own opinions, and I respect that. I really disagree about the 'Cliffhangers' comment. Cliffhangers aren't always at the end of books, they can be at the end of chapters. I remember very clearly in the Goblet of Fire, at the end of the chapter in Halloween, it ended when Dumbledore read Harry Potter's name. *That* was a good cliffhanger, because it wasn't supposed to happen.

Anyway, that's it from me. Judging by the initial post, this could turn into a flame war because it was... a little bit disrespectful, in a way. Calling it silly could annoy some people... and it annoyed me a bit.

But we all have opinions. And that's alright ^.^

-Mac

86 Reviews

Reviews: 86
Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:18 pm
Karzkin says...

It appears HP is taking a commanding lead. While I'm certainly not going to level the scoreboard, I will take this opportunity to check this runaway train.

Which HP episode goes like this?

1. Harry and Co. go to Hogwarts on the train (optional) and meet people that have never even been mentioned before.

2. Harry and Co. learn oddly specific spells that have very little real-world application/learn about or meet magical creatures that they have never heard about before, but are sure to come in handy later on.

3. Harry and Co. do unimportant stuff (quidditch etc.)

4. Harry and Co. learn about Voldemort's latest evil scheme.

5. Harry and Co. happen to work out Voldemort's evil scheme at the last second, possibly by overhearing someone mention it or by chance reading about it in the library while looking for something else.

5a. Voldemort and Co. manage to gain entrance to Hogwarts, despite the fact that Hogwarts is a castle (and a magical castle at that), aka a building purpose-built to keep enemies out.

5b. Voldemort's evil scheme is very obscure, and relies on people/items/events that have never been heard of before.

6. Harry and Co. rush to stop Voldemort's evil scheme, despite not having any idea what dangers they might face and being laughably unprepared and uninformed.

6a. Harry needlessly risks his life, despite the fact that he is obviously going to be important later on, and the fact that there are plenty of expendable people just standing around.

7. Harry and Co. use oddly specific spells/magical creatures they learned about earlier to escape from a jam (see 2).

8. Harry and Co. waltz through increasingly dangerous and difficult situations with more ease than their brief study of magic would suggest.

8a. (optional) Harry and Co. have a falling out/strained relationships/teenage angst

8b. (optional) minor characters (or characters that used to be major characters but are now minor characters) die, usually off-screen.

9. Older, more experienced, more powerful wizards do nothing (to help or hinder Harry and Co.)

10. Harry and Co. find themselves in a desperate situation, and all seems lost.

10a. (optional, see 8a.) Harry and Co. realise that they shouldn't be fighting among themselves, forgive each other, then kiss and make up.

11. Harry and Co. discover/are given/meet the exact item/skill/person they need to save the day and defeat Voldy just in the nick of time, despite the fact that said [deus ex machina] has never once been referred to.

12. Deus ex machina disappears and a) is never spoken of or heard about again or b) inexplicably shows up five books later to save Harry and Co. from another tight spot.

13. Harry and Co. have a nice bonding session, build their friendship, have a casual conversation about the power of love and friendship, and walk into the sunset arm-in-arm.

14. Roll credits/$$$ for JK.

If your answer is EVERY SINGLE HP BOOK/FILM, then you are correct.

I'm not saying Twilight is better than HP (and I couldn't really, seeing as I have limited exposure to Twilight, thus it would be an unfair comment). What I AM saying is that HP is equally crappy in its own unique way.
Do not go gentle into that good night.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

K's Killa Kritiques

#TNT

Inkwell: Straighties! Hahaha

51 Reviews

Reviews: 51
Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:00 pm
View Likes
Cole says...

Uh... have you even read the books or have you just seen the movies?

In the books, there is a definite crescendo that develops throughout all the books, building up to the finale. In each book, the reader learns something new about the Wizarding World, about Harry's shaded past, and about Voldemort. The way J. K. Rowling reveals everything is suspenseful, brilliant, and creative.

Though each book has a similar plot, nothing is identical. In fact, when we get to "The Order of the Phoenix" we really start to break away from the traditional plotline.

Harry Potter is crappy? That doesn't explain why it has become the best-selling franchise in history, or the fact that it has shaped this very generation.
My heart holds all secrets; my heart tells no lies.

~Hosea 6:3~
ונדעה נרדפה לדעת את יהוה כשחר נכון מצאו ויבוא כגשם לנו כמלקוש יורה ארץ׃

115 Reviews

Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:25 pm
PixieStix says...

Look at this- http://i.ytimg.com/vi/SBLh0lOreGw/0.jpg and after look at this- http://www.ifreshnews.com/wp-content/up ... Potter.jpg

Which one looks more exiting? and yes. the one with the vampire does. That proves it all.
So you're the player?

261 Reviews

Reviews: 261
Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:27 pm
SparkToFlame says...

Pix, why did you start this thread if you're not open to opinions?
"There's no yellow bricks to follow back and run from that disaster...
Believe me...
There's no place like home."

Formerly SparkOfDoubt

115 Reviews

Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:29 pm
PixieStix says...

I did, I just want to see what other people think. That's why! and It would be fun to debate for once. :)
So you're the player?

34 Reviews

Reviews: 34
Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:10 pm
kasimkaey says...

Those pictures are taken out of context. If I showed you a photo of Bella when she's practically dead from the fourth film and a photo of Hermione in the last film, you'd obviously like Hermione better.
I agree with the whole you not being open to opinions as it kind of defeats the purpose of this thread.
I personally think we should just accept Harry Potter as the winner.

Just look at my signature. Look at it.
'Do or do not, there is no try.' Professor Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore.

81 Reviews

Reviews: 81
Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:40 pm
Pigeon says...

Harry Potter is crappy? That doesn't explain why it has become the best-selling franchise in history, or the fact that it has shaped this very generation.
Sure it does. Things which are simplistic and accessible are consistently popular. Just look at pop music, most of it isn't clever or insightful, or even skillful, yet people feel that it speaks to them and shapes their lives. Popularity doesn't equal quality, not by any stretch.
Karzkin's formula, so far as I can tell, does apply to every book and movie. What this tells me is that J.K. Rolling is pretty clever. She found a formula which works, a formula which people love, and she stuck with it. So, while the quality of the writing is not at all amazing, J.K. definitely is a brilliant storyteller. As a result she managed to gear something mediocre into one of the best loved stories of all time. For that reason, I think she is inspirational.
Reader, what are you doing?

3670 Reviews

Reviews: 3670
Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:58 pm
Snoink says...

Karzkin:

Any story, stripped of what makes it a story, will appear to be ridiculous. Check out this lovely website for proof: http://www.rinkworks.com/bookaminute/classics.shtml
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

51 Reviews

Reviews: 51
Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:00 am
Cole says...

I do not care if you dislike Harry Potter, but, no matter how much you hate it, it is clearly better than Twilight.
My heart holds all secrets; my heart tells no lies.

~Hosea 6:3~
ונדעה נרדפה לדעת את יהוה כשחר נכון מצאו ויבוא כגשם לנו כמלקוש יורה ארץ׃

83 Reviews

Reviews: 83
Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:22 am
View Likes
fictionfanatic says...

Do not be offended by this anyone - it's merely my opinion - to each their own, eh? Can't get mad at me for my opinion :3

First, Pixie, you cannot use those pictures for anything. The one of Bella isn't even from the movie - it's photoshoped - a complete fake. The picture of Daniel Radcliff is actually real. But you also cannot use it because neither pictures are from the actual movies.

Anyways.

Harry Potter is definitely a better movie. AND book.

Now, my reasoning.

Twilight:

First off, the book is absolutely terrible. It requires a level of a seven year old - no joke, my seven year old sister read twilight with ease. Stephanie Myers' writing style isn't at all advanced. Come on, she created her main character to be a bland girl with no development, or even personality, that any girl can fit themselves into.

Not only that, but the entire series consists of the same plot and spiel over and over and over again - it's so repititous.

Also, Stephanie Myers' ideas are not original in the least. She has taken everything from other stories - Dracula, Interview with a Vampire, etc - classic vampire novels. Maybe it'd be better if there was actually an original idea.

To continue, most people - especially girls - only even like Twlight because they are attracted to Edward and Jacob - team Edward? Team Jacob? Team Switzerland? Who the heck cares, it's a fantasy novel!

Not to mention the fact that the graphics for Twilight are terrible and incredibley unreal.

Harry Potter:

JK Rowling developed an enticing plot line that kept/keeps the readers on their toes. She used original ideas and very unique characters.

Her stories are well developed, and she well deserves the reputation she has earned herself.

JK Rolwing was brilliant, and she made her books page turning, a series people never want to end.

This was just my opinion. Sorry if I offended anyone, but that's simply how I feel about the topic. XD
Live, Love, Laugh

336 Reviews

Reviews: 336
Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:42 am
Jas says...

Lol at Pixie for showing us a photoshopped picture vs a real one.

OOH GUYS WHICH IS BETTER!?

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-rXDMN7Q4IZU/T ... attoo3.jpg

or

http://btc.montana.edu/ceres/html/Polar ... circle.jpg

Plus, the plot of the story cannot be summed up into one picture-none the less, a photoshopped one.

What does Twilight teach you? That the only thing that's important is having a boyfriend and when you don't have a boyfriend, it makes logical sense to sit in your room and stare out the window for four months.

No. That's not romance. That's unhealthy.
I am nothing
but a mouthful of 'sorry's, half-hearted
apologies that roll of my tongue, smoothquick, like 'r's
or maybe like pocket candy
that's just a bit too sweet.

~*~