Young Writers Society

Home » Forums » Community » Serious Discussion and Debate

Twilight <3 or Harry Potter :)?

Post a reply
360 Reviews

Reviews: 360
Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:39 pm
Lavvie says...

Pixie2 wrote:Well, i agree with snoink. But this is a major argument people have been bickering about for atleast a year people! We need to get this straight. Dont you agree?

Debating doesn't mean the people debating are going to come to an agreement. Debating is - at least on YWS - for fun and learning. I can't change anyone's opinion since it's that person only that can. In debating, Pixie, it usually happens that it's the practice that's the prize and not converting people to another thought or belief or opinion.

Snoink, in total agreement! (I had to totes 'like' that.)

56 Reviews

Reviews: 56
Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:54 pm
View Likes
Napier says...

The debates will still be going on long after the franchises have finished; they won't stop simply because a few people on YWS agree on one of them.
“It is the tale, not he who tells it.”
― Stephen King

“If you don't have time to read, you don't have the time (or the tools) to write. Simple as that.”
― Stephen King

Formerly BadlyDrawnLightning

107 Reviews

Reviews: 107
Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:22 am
View Likes
EnchantedPanda says...

I don't think this is a valid argument to be honest. It all really comes down to personal taste and I know that I can, for one, can easily find positive and negative things about each option, after all nothing is absolutely perfect. It's a bit like comparing basketball to netball, in the end it's just a matter of personal taste. It might just be me but I don't feel the questions been phrased right.

Also, even though there are some interesting points in here I think some people have taken this a bit too far.

105 Reviews

Reviews: 105
Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:14 am
View Likes
ZlyWilk says...

I'm a fair person.
Having grown up with Harry Potter, I decided to give Twilight a try, because I wanted to see what I made of it myself.
I found it pretty dull and depressing. I couldn't finish the book, no matter how hard I tried.

As I read somewhere (I'm a forgetful soul, don't ask me where), "J.K. Rowling made a better love story out of Snape and Lily in a few pages than Stephanie Meyers did in four books."

And so, I agree with that. And there's my tid-bit.
formerly GoldenQuill

Donna: You alright?
Doctor: I'm always alright.
Donna: Is 'always alright' secret Time Lord code for really not alright at all?
Doctor: Why?
Donna: Because I'm alright too.

I review everything.

56 Reviews

Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:08 pm
View Likes
Napier says...

Having finished the first book, I can assure you that my opinion on it has remind safely the same; dull and badly written.

Just making it clear :wink:
― Stephen King

“If you don't have time to read, you don't have the time (or the tools) to write. Simple as that.”
― Stephen King

32 Reviews

Reviews: 32
Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:17 pm
View Likes
Sandvich says...

I've read both Twilight and New Moon (or whatever book comes second, I can't even remember) and seen the first film.
Through all three, I kind of sat there like this:
Now, I haven't really read any Harry Potter books, but I have seen all the films, and even from the films (which I hear omitted quite a few things) I can see that Harry Potter's plot is much more complex and generally just better than Twilight. Edward and Bella are such dull characters that they make my eyes hurt when I see them and my eyes hurt when I hear them. Bella's ONLY flaw is that she's clumsy, which is so blooming cliché... I was using that flaw when I was in Year Six, and by Year Seven I had grown out of it. (For all you non-Brits, Year Seven is 11-12 years old).
In contrast, Harry Potter's characters actually have personalities and motives... With the possible exception of Voldemort on the second count. From what I can remember (and I've only seen the films, feel free to correct me), his only real motive is that he's evil.
The Fear Contest - Winners

1st Place - Hit the Black by mikeypro
2nd Place - Makeshift Calamity by jcipriano1
3rd Place - Ashes and Blood by HaydenSmith

"And so I arrive, like a sudden windstorm at a kindergarten picnic!" - Dimentio

11 Reviews

Reviews: 11
Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:50 pm
View Likes
skermitz says...

HP ALL THE WAY MAN!!!
@Sandvich
Voldemorts problem isn't that he's evil, but more that he can not love.
There's a difference! Also till he was 11 he had a kind of tragic past, which, because of his inability to love, molded him into the monster he is in the books. Harry also had tragic 11 years with the Dursley's , but as his strength is to love, he turned out different......
Somehow I don't think I'm doing a very good job at explaining my self!
The best way for you to get it, is just to read the books! I assure you, it's worth it =)
"Not all those who wander are lost." - J.R R Tolkien -

"Paper is patient." - Anne Frank -

My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

51 Reviews

Reviews: 51
Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:51 am
Cole says...

I get you skermitz. You're right on.

Also, Voldemort is prejudiced against "mud-bloods" and believes the world should be rid of half-bloods and muggles. He believes pure-blood witches and wizards are the dominant race. He's basically Hitler, only with a wand.
My heart holds all secrets; my heart tells no lies.

~Hosea 6:3~
ונדעה נרדפה לדעת את יהוה כשחר נכון מצאו ויבוא כגשם לנו כמלקוש יורה ארץ׃

3670 Reviews

Reviews: 3670
Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:48 am
View Likes
Snoink says...

Sandvich is right. Star Trek is better than either of these series.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

115 Reviews

Reviews: 115
Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:51 pm
View Likes
PixieStix says...

Noo... Actually.... I think that percy jackson and the olympians are better than either of them, wait i am going to make another debate on pJ and the olympians, Harry potter... Yeah! Check it out!
So you're the player?

Nice to meet you, I'm the coach.

37 Reviews

Reviews: 37
Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:46 am
View Likes
ShootingStars says...

Percy Jackson and the Olympians was a great read also, in my opinion. They really messed up the movie though. :(
When you wish upon a star, makes no difference who you are. Anything your heart desires will come to you. -Jiminy Cricket

Don't be afraid to jump, to leap, to fly too far and don't be scared to touch the stars!

51 Reviews

Reviews: 51
Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:09 am
View Likes
Cole says...

Agreed.
My heart holds all secrets; my heart tells no lies.

~Hosea 6:3~
ונדעה נרדפה לדעת את יהוה כשחר נכון מצאו ויבוא כגשם לנו כמלקוש יורה ארץ׃

56 Reviews

Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:32 pm
View Likes
Napier says...

Percy Jackson is all right, but it didn't have the plots and ideas Harry Potter did.

Very interesting to see Greek Gods, but Riordan has really sold out by writing another series on the Greek Gods, and one on the Egyptian Gods. Seeing as they come out pretty quickly, and he's writing two series at the same time, it does show how much effort Riordan puts into his work.

And that film...

Dear oh dear.
― Stephen King

― Stephen King

115 Reviews

Reviews: 115
Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:48 pm
View Likes
PixieStix says...

I made it!
So you're the player?

Nice to meet you, I'm the coach.