Young Writers Society

Home » Forums » Community » Serious Discussion and Debate

Twilight <3 or Harry Potter :)?

Post a reply
115 Reviews

Reviews: 115
Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:40 am
PixieStix says...

so people have been debating over the year on who is better or what movie series is better! But I am always wondering- Why are we worrying about this already when people should be focusing on other stuf? But Just to get peoples mind set, I am making this debate. To be clear this is a debate post on which series is better! Now DEBATE!
So you're the player?

Nice to meet you, I'm the coach.

3676 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3676
Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:57 am
View Likes
Snoink says...

This is a very important question! :o

I would say Harry Potter, because I think the cinematography is overdone in Twilight. But, I haven't seen all the movies, so maybe I am wrong. XP
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

185 Reviews

Reviews: 185
Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:21 am
View Likes
inkwell says...

If I had to choose, Harry Potter.
"The most incomprehensible thing about the world is that it is comprehensible." — Einstein

179 Reviews

Reviews: 179
Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:32 am
shiney1 says...

Neither.

Percy Jackson and the Olympians
"If you ever have a problem don't say 'Hey God I have a big problem.' Rather 'Hey Problem... I have a big God and it's all going to be okay."

♂ + God = ♥
♀ + God = ♥
♂ + ♀ + God = ♥

276 Reviews

Reviews: 276
Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:57 am
View Likes
MasterGrieves says...

Harry Potter all the way
The Nation of Ulysses Must Prevail!

If you don't like Mikko, you better friggin' die.

The power of Robert Smith compels you!

Adam + Lisa ♥

When you greet a stranger look at his shoes.
Keep your money in your shoes.

I was 567ajt

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:44 am
View Likes
KevinMckie says...

Harry Potter for me in book and most certainly movie. I'm male, watching my girlfriend oooz over another guy's chest in the cinema made me feel.... awkward haha. +1 to the godly JKRowling.

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:26 am
View Likes
skwmusic says...

Harry Potter is about confronting fears, finding inner strength and doing what is right in the face of adversity. Twilight is about how important it is to have a boyfriend.

-Stephen King
"I'm not concerned about all hell breaking loose, but that a PART of hell will break loose... it'll be much harder to detect." -George Carlin

61 Reviews

Reviews: 61
Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:33 pm
Angelreader77 says...

Harry Potter.
skwmusic wrote:
Harry Potter is about confronting fears, finding inner strength and doing what is right in the face of adversity. Twilight is about how important it is to have a boyfriend.

-Stephen King

Not that I'm saying the entire Twilight series is completely useless and is based on only having a boyfriend. I guess that Harry Potter has more morale and aim to it than Twilight does.
So - Harry Potter. <3
I won't say I failed a thousand times, I'd say I discovered thousand ways that can cause failure.

OINK!

Reviews: 0
Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:02 pm
UnicornZombies says...

I would def. have to say Harry Potter. I've seen the books and the movies of both series, and HP def. takes the prize. For one, J.K Rowling puts so much detail into the series, whereas Meyer mostly just uses dialogue. Cheesy dialogue for that matter.
"Writing is a drug I cannot live without"
Psalm 16:8 "“I know the Lord is always with me. I will not be shaken, for He is right beside me. No wonder my heart is filled with joy, and my mouth shouts His praises!”

115 Reviews

Reviews: 115
Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:03 pm
PixieStix says...

well, I love twilight. I'm like obsessed with it, It just makes me laugh ALOT because In some scenes they are trying to be serious but instead its actually pretty funny, I also think Twlight has more intese scenes then in HP but thats just my opinion.
So you're the player?

Nice to meet you, I'm the coach.

34 Reviews

Reviews: 34
Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:13 pm
kasimkaey says...

Harry Potter or Twilight.
This is honestly my life's work!

Right, so Harry Potter is a seven book/eight film series that consists of Harry and his two best friends, Hermione and Ron, try to defeat the evil that is Voldemort. Along the way, you, as the reader, get to see them grow up and battle various people and teenage problems, such as love and jealousy and so forth. I think the best thing about Harry Potter is the world that Rowling has created. Hogwarts, Diagon Alley, the Ministry of Magic. It all seems so real and so immersive.

Twilight, on the other hand, is a four book/five film series that consists of Bella falling for vampires. She basically spends the entire first book telling us abou how gorgeous Edward is. The second book is filled with kind of the same. The third is a little bit more of it. The fourth is so long, it's just sex and a boring battle at the end.

Speaking about the writing, Rowling writes like someone captivated by her own story. Meyers writes like a child. Seriously, she puts in a lot of big words so yes, she's educated. But she cannot write, at all. There are so many grammatical errors in her books.

The films also lack everything for Twilight. Bella's actress has one emotion - :| - and Edward's just can't act. The rest of them are the same, just bland actors. Whereas, you have Daniel, Rupert and Emma who actually love the series and put their all into it. Each actor from Harry Potter is an actual British theatre actor which is why they put so much effort into the films (look at David Tennants portrayal of Barty Crouch Junior in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire).

So, Harry Potter really does win.
'Do or do not, there is no try.' Professor Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore.

53 Reviews

Reviews: 53
Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:28 pm
Cole says...

On morality:

Harry Potter actually teaches us about virtue and goodness: It encourages us to face our fears and find the strength to stand up for what is right. It has transcending themes of friendship, loyalty, love, and family. J. K. Rowling even makes many allusions to Christ in both the book and the actual character of Harry Potter.
Spoiler! :
Harry’s dying for all the people of Hogwarts, and his resurrection to ultimately defeat evil and cast darkness away (Those are only a few). Rowling even acknowledged the allusions and said they were intentional. She wanted to make Harry Potter a Christ-like character.

Twilight, on the other hand, encourages us to give into temptation, and teaches us that surrendering our family, our life, and everything we cherish (even humanity) for mere lust, power, and obsession is honorable. It glorifies unhealthy attraction and fascination.

So, from an ethical standpoint, Harry Potter is much more acceptable than Twilight.

From a literary standpoint (of course this is my opinion), the writing of Harry Potter is so much better than that of Twilight. Harry Potter also sports passionate, endearing, and engaging characters, unlike the insufferable Bella Swan, and is so much more exciting and much more original.

My vote: Harry Potter is better than Twilight.
My heart holds all secrets; my heart tells no lies.

~Hosea 6:3~
ונדעה נרדפה לדעת את יהוה כשחר נכון מצאו ויבוא כגשם לנו כמלקוש יורה ארץ׃

63 Reviews

Reviews: 63
Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:32 pm
Charlii101 says...

Harry Potter because it's amazing cool!
Plus they have Voldemort who's like a snake person and all Twilight has is ... OH NOOO a sparkly vampire! ... i am so scared! :L But yeah Harry Potter plus harry Potter's been around longer therefore having more fans than Twilight! :D
No offence to ANY twilight fans at all!

336 Reviews

Reviews: 336
Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:00 pm
Jas says...

Is this an actual question.

HPALLTHEWAYBABY<3.
I am nothing
but a mouthful of 'sorry's, half-hearted
apologies that roll of my tongue, smoothquick, like 'r's
or maybe like pocket candy
that's just a bit too sweet.

~*~

135 Reviews

Reviews: 135
Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:53 pm
stargazer9927 says...

Jas wrote:Is this an actual question.

HPALLTHEWAYBABY<3.

That's what I was thinking. What kind of question is this? Harry Potter all the way!

I've met tons of people who hate Twilight, but when you hate Harry Potter we have a problem (I have yet to find someone who does).
Let's eat mom.
Let's eat, mom.
Good grammar saves lives :D