Young Writers Society

Home » Forums » Community » Serious Discussion and Debate

Nature Vs. Nurture

Post a reply

Nature or nurture?

Nature! You're born as you are and that is that.
No votes
Nurture! You're born as a blank slate.
6%
A little bit of both? You're born with certain traits, but you can still make choices as to who you are.
94%

Total votes : 16

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:22 am
AubrielRose says...

Since it is safe to assume, that all of those reading this will possess some degree of literary talent, the example I will use is this: Do you think that if you were born into a different situation than you were, would you still turn out to be a writer/poet? Consider is you were born to parents who saw stories and poems as utterly useless?
Personality is widely debated over two theories... are we born who we are or do we become who we are with the help of our enviroment?

297 Reviews

Reviews: 297
Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:03 pm
Justagirl says...

I think that we're all born with a few traits, like, maybe that we're going to be kind or friendly. But, over the years, the people who we interact with (especially parents and siblings) add and/or subtract to those traits and also teach you different ones.
"Just remember there's a difference between stalking people on the internet, and going to their house and cutting their skin off." - Jenna Marbles

~ Yeah I'm letting go of what I had, yeah I'm living now and living loud ~

73 Reviews

Reviews: 73
Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:16 pm
LemonyIce says...

According to me, we're all born with a few traits but who we are mainly depends on our environment and the people around us.

Also, in reply to your question. I wasn't born being good at poetry. I picked it up from reading poems and stories. I suppose, if I was brought up around people who thought poems and stories are utterly useless, I wouldn't be good at writing. I probably wouldn't think about writing in the first place.

According to me, you can't be born with talent. What you're good at from infancy could be hereditary or not. But as you grow up and get better at other things the only reason is because you practice. Most of us here on YWS have practiced writing so we're good at it. A singer is a singer because they've practiced and they're good at it. An artist is who he is because he practices. Not many people spring up, brimming with talent when they're born. Most of them have to practice. That's pretty much it.

But that's just my opinion.
I'd rather waltz than just walk through the forest.
The trees keep the tempo and they sway in time.
Quartet of crickets chime in for the chorus.
If I were to pluck on your heart strings would you strum on mine?

~Plant Life, Owl City

187 Reviews

Reviews: 187
Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:21 pm
Aet Lindling says...

I think it's impossible to know with current scientific capabilities. Maybe if we ever get to stages of transhumanism, or if we can run insanely complex simulations, we could run tests, but who knows?
12-18-12 7:43 PM
AmelieoftheValley: ...Aet and Bog sometimes sound like a comedy duo.
12-18-12 7:43 PM
AmelieoftheValley: Just pointing it out.

RIP Bog 2008-2013. If only we could comede once more...

The neap tide draws.
The Leviathan nears.
Caterjunes.

1065 Reviews

Reviews: 1065
Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:47 pm
View Likes
Kyllorac says...

It's been observed scientifically that nature vs. nurture is a false dichotomy. They work in combination, with one's genetics determining their predispositions and range of possible expression (nature) and the environment determining which of these develop in addition to what extent (nurture).

For example, some people are genetically predisposed to cancer; this does not mean that they will develop cancer, since the actual development of a tumor is triggered by something in their environment. Similarly, one may be predisposed to shyness; this does not mean that one will never learn how to socialize or enjoy social interactions.

Basically, one's nature determines what could be expressed, while one's nurture determines what actually is expressed. And you can't express something that doesn't exist.
Screwing with gender since 1995.

There are no chickens in Hyrule.

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:27 pm
david123 says...

Do you know that smog just doesn’t affect our heath in also effects chidrens IQ. Pollution is a bad thing it desroys our bodys and minds. Air pollution comes from many sources both natural and man made. Pollution can get in to our body’s by the air and by water. I think people should be more care of pollution.
Do you know how pollution gets in our air? Pollution can get in to our air many ways but one major one is our industry. “Evidence suggests a correlation not only between smog and IQ, but also between smog and other health problems affecting the growing infant pre- and post-birth, including preclampsia, low birth weight, small head circumference and miscarriage”(Evans). The industry pollutes the earth by letting harmfull gasses in are air. Most of those gasses are greenhouse gasses and they are making our planet warmer. If are planet gose up one persentage of temperature are icecaps will start mellting making are ocean bigger. In addition, the gasses are in the air we breathe and the longer we breathe the air the sicker we will get. We can stop this pollution by using beater filtersfor cleaner air.
Do you know how pollution gets in our water? “Elementary School and housed a toxic by-product pond and dam containing more than 2 million gallons of hazardous waste” (gaydos). These pond are dangerouse because little kids or animals can dirnk or fall into the water. In addition, septictakes can contibute to groundwater pollution. If people do not pump there septictankes evey 1 to 5 years it can pollute groundwater. If we keep polluting are water the worse are ari will get. Because as are water evaporates it goes in the air. And the water collects gasses in the air.

People throw litter on the ground which makes the earth dirty. Many people don't recycle and throw away so much garbage that we have landfills growing in our cities. The plastic and metal that they throw in landfills are hard to decompose. The more we do that the more the landfills fill up. Also animals can eat the litter and become sick or die. Litter lying around covers the land from the sun and the grass and plants can die. Also cigarettes can pollute the air and the soil by littering.
So if people stop polluting is planet it can be cleaner. If we stop putting harmful gasses in the air, we can start breathing clean air. Then we can have heather bodies. If we stop littering are planets can be cleaner. If we stop letting Carbon dioxide and other air pollutants. We can have a healthier atmosphere. Carbon dioxide is a greenhouse gas and the more we let of it in the atmosphere the more are climate will change.

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:52 am
View Likes
amit28it says...

In my opinion we all have some of the traits by birth but the main part that plays in our development is of the condition and environment we get because its human nature we adopt things from others.