Young Writers Society

Home » Forums » Community » Serious Discussion and Debate

Is there such thing as a hero? What makes a hero?

Post a reply
84 Reviews

Reviews: 84
Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:14 pm
fictionfanatic says...

Are heroes existant in today's society? Do they only exist in stories and comic books?

What makes someone a hero? Their brain? Their muscles? Super powers? Their goodness?

Go ahead.
Live, Love, Laugh

1071 Reviews

Reviews: 1071
Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:47 am
Kyllorac says...

Depends on your concept of what a hero is.

For instance, the Greek concept of a hero was one who was morally excellent, valorous, and wise. Charging into a burning forest to save some campers without any surety that you would survive, while considered heroic today, would be considered an act of foolishness by the Greeks, and would therefore not be considered heroic.

Personally, a hero is to me a person who adheres to their principles, regardless of the situation, without being afraid to honestly examine those principles and revise them should they be mistaken. People like that are few and far between, but they do exist, and so I do believe that heroes exist in today's society.
Screwing with gender since 1995.

There are no chickens in Hyrule.

Reviews: 4
Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:14 am
View Likes
crmcgill says...

I believe that heroes exist today, and I'm going to use my uncle and my father as examples. Both of them work at our town's local fire station, my uncle being the Chief and my father a Captain. Last year, in the middle of winter, they got a call about a car that had crashed into a stream. On the scene, they were met by a hysterical woman and a car upsidedown in the creek with two babies strapped in the back seat. My uncle immediatly went into the freezing creek and worked for fifteen minutes, using his pocket knife to save the little girl. When he was finished, his fingers were so frozen that my dad took over, going under water until he got the boy out. He didn't even rest before he began the process of intubating the baby. The twins are now healthy, all because the people of the firestation were unselfish in helping them and they never gave up.
Earlier this year, the department won The Star of Life award, the greatest award that a fire department can earn in my state. Both my uncle and my father said that it was all in a day's work for them, and they didn't understand all the fuss that was made over them. I didn't under stand what the big deal about it was until the Today Show did a story on that rescue. My dad doesn't want people thinking higher of him because of what he does, he does what he does because he wants to help people and he knows that it's the right thing to do.
By my definition, heroes are people that do the right thing out of compassion and helpfulness, not to be glorified for their actions. Heroes aren't selfish, and they do whatever they must to help somebody else, no matter the personal cost.
So yes, heroes exist today. And some are closer than you might think
Open the gates and seize the day! Don't be afraid and don't delay.

To die would be an awfully big adventure.

I fart in your general direction. Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!

Just call me Gill!