Home » Forums » Community » Serious Discussion and Debate

Gender Roles

Post a reply
81 Reviews

Reviews: 81
Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:42 am
View Likes
Pigeon says...

I think it has been discussed in that manner because in society there are only those two set gender roles. I would say that no gender roles apply people who are intersex, but that's because I don't believe that anyone would be subjected to gender roles. I would also say that there is no 'correct' gender identity. People should be free to identify as they wish.

This discussion reminds me of Virginia Woolf's 'Orlando'. In 'Orlando' the title character's sex spontaneously changes, but it does not change how they self-identify.
Orlando had become a woman - there is no denying it. But in every other respect, Orlando remained precisely as he had been. The change of sex, though it altered their future, did nothing whatever to alter their identity.
Reader, what are you doing?

1072 Reviews

Reviews: 1072
Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:56 am
Kyllorac says...

I think it has been discussed in that manner because in society there are only those two set gender roles.

But not all societies have only two genders. Some societies, among them a few Native American tribes, still acknowledge the existence of a third (or even more) genders.

And it's not like the topic of a third gender/sex hasn't been broached before in Western society.
Screwing with gender since 1995.

There are no chickens in Hyrule.

81 Reviews

Reviews: 81
Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:46 am
Pigeon says...

True. My bad.
Reader, what are you doing?