Young Writers Society

Home » Forums » Community » Serious Discussion and Debate

Posting Essays on the Internet

Post a reply
36 Reviews

Reviews: 36
Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:43 pm
tr3x says...

The Internet has made plagiarism extremely easy, but it has made the detection of plagiarism even easier. A lot of schools and colleges use online resources like Turnitin.com to check students' work for borrowed material. Hell, a quick google search will turn up those results, if they exist.
I notice that a lot of people post their school/college essays on YWS for reviews. Wouldn't these turn up as results on such a search? How would your school know that the person posting it online is actually you? It seems a rather risky business.
A lie can run around the world before the truth has got its boots on.
- Terry Pratchett

Si non confectus, non recifiat - If it ain't broken, don't fix it.

159 Reviews

Reviews: 159
Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:45 pm
MeanMrMustard says...

Make it invisible to comments, edit it out of the post, ask quoted sections to be removed?

I suppose take it upon yourself to post it publicly and clean up or use something like WFP.

81 Reviews

Reviews: 81
Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:02 pm
Pigeon says...

I was tempted to post some of my creative writing major work here for reviews, but it would have been too risky. I heard that someone was unable to hand in their art major work because they posted pictures on Facebook, so I didn't want to risk having mine anywhere on the internet.
I'm pretty paranoid, so I only really post things I don't think I'm going to want to use again.
Reader, what are you doing?

544 Reviews

Reviews: 544
Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:27 pm
View Likes
Stori says...

I know this sounds simplistic, but wouldn't it be acceptable to post your work after you've been graded on it?

36 Reviews

Reviews: 36
Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:40 pm
tr3x says...

Stori: Yes, but people post their work with the intention of getting it reviewed. Posting an essay that has already been graded isn't really of benefit to you. I guess the best bet would be to delete the post before you submit it as an assignment.
A lie can run around the world before the truth has got its boots on.
- Terry Pratchett

Si non confectus, non recifiat - If it ain't broken, don't fix it.

1065 Reviews

Reviews: 1065
Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:39 am
View Likes
Kyllorac says...

There's always the "I posted it myself and I can prove it to you by logging into my account on that site. Would you like me to show you?" point and the "Notice how the post date falls between when the assignment was given and when it was due" point. Those two points are more than enough to prove that the essay is your own original work and therefore not plagiarized.
Screwing with gender since 1995.

There are no chickens in Hyrule.

185 Reviews

Reviews: 185
Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:57 am
inkwell says...

I've thought about this as well and all options are less than ideal. Above posters pretty much pointed out everything.
"The most incomprehensible thing about the world is that it is comprehensible." — Einstein

714 Reviews

Reviews: 714
Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:43 pm
Lava says...

quote]Make it invisible to comments, edit it out of the post, ask quoted sections to be removed? [/quote]
^That.
And, since there is the option of allow on YWS members to see it, I fully intend to use that ption.
And maybe remove text after a while.
I BLOG!
~
Pretending in words was too tentative, too vulnerable, too embarrassing to let anyone know.
- Ian McEwan in Atonement

sachi: influencing others since GOD KNOWS WHEN.

937 Reviews

Reviews: 937
Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:46 am
View Likes
Rosey Unicorn says...

See, there's a key difference between YWS and facebook.

When you post something on facebook, they own the content. There is a transfer of copyright the moment you hit "submit" on something, and it cannot be 100% removed. There will always be a trace back to the posted facebook picture.

On YWS, you can edit that content and make it vanish from the internet. There is no transfer of copyright. If you mention in an author's note all quoted sections have to be removed/ask reviewers to agree to any quoted portions being removed, the mods can slip in no problem and get rid of the quoted sections for you so it is 100% gone. No traceability.
You know you're a writer when you're not alarmed at hearing voices in your head, you can't read a book without analyzing it for plot & characters and you consider something you nearly killed yourself to write the most rewarding.

Guilty as charged.