Home » Forums » Community » Serious Discussion and Debate

Liberty and Debauchery

Post a reply
470 Reviews

Reviews: 470
Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:46 pm
GeeLyria says...

Liberty ends where debauchery begins.

Freedom is the privilege of saying and doing whatever we want.

Debauchery is when freedom is abused in such way that it goes againt ethics, morals, laws, but especially against God (having in mind that men's laws are not necessarily correct).

As they say, "The line is thin between fun and sin." The difference between these two things is huge, but they can be confused easily. We can say that people demand "liberty" when what they actually want is debauchery. Do you imagine how the world would be? Like the front paper of our newspapers.

We gotta be intelligent and ask for discernment!

Like the bible says on Isaiah 5:20;
"Woe to those who call evil good and good evil,
who put darkness for light and light for darkness,
who put bitter for sweet and sweet for bitter."
Noob is a state of being, not a length of time. ~Ego

"Serás del tamaño de tus pensamientos; no te permitas fracasar."

36 Reviews

Reviews: 36
Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:19 pm
View Likes
tr3x says...

The distinction between freedom and debauchery is an interesting one. I think you need to make it tighter, though, and explain exactly what you mean by debauchery. In my knowledge, debauchery refers to extreme indulgence and crass materialism. Roman orgies spring to mind. Alternatively, are you simply referring to the misuse of our freedoms and Liberties as debauchery?
Debauchery is when freedom is abused in such way that it goes againt ethics, morals, laws, but especially against God (having in mind that men's laws are not necessarily correct).

Are you saying hate speech is debauchery? How about denial of a god, or Satan worship? Both are secured under our right to free speech and our right to freedom of religion. And if they are debauchery, would you implement a law to impose restrictions on your definition of debauchery? As Voltaire once said, "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it." Despicable as hate groups are, I fear we have to let them have their say. Do we silence someone just because we disagree with their opinions, contemptible though those opinions are? In the past, with groups like the Westboro Baptist Church, it has been ruled in court that despite abhorrent, they can legally continue to voice their opinions.

Also, the Bible may not be the most unbiased text for this argument.

" As you approach a town to attack it, first offer its people terms for peace. If they accept your terms and open the gates to you, then all the people inside will serve you in forced labor. But if they refuse to make peace and prepare to fight, you must attack the town. When the LORD your God hands it over to you, kill every man in the town. But you may keep for yourselves all the women, children, livestock, and other plunder. You may enjoy the spoils of your enemies that the LORD your God has given you." (Deuteronomy 20:10-14)
Murder, plunder and rape are far worse than debauchery in my opinion.
A lie can run around the world before the truth has got its boots on.
- Terry Pratchett

Si non confectus, non recifiat - If it ain't broken, don't fix it.