Young Writers Society

Home » Forums » Community » Serious Discussion and Debate

Kindle

Post a reply
36 Reviews

Reviews: 36
Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:28 am
tr3x says...

PlasticStarlight. First, in response to your question a Kindle screen is nothing like a computer screen. Kindles and other e-readers use what is called an e-ink display which, unlike normal backlight computer or TV displays, reflects light rather than producing it, thus acting exactly like a physical page. Please look up the technology, it's really interesting. Essentially, it's a normal page (made with some extraordinary materials) on which bits of words float around to form the next page, and the next, and so on. So it is definitely not anything like a computer screen. It produces no more strain on your eyes than a normal book.

As for your second point about the necessity of physical interaction, you make a dangerous assumption there. Kindles are not the equivalent of a computer. In the study you cite the difference is that on one hand the kids interact with something physical, and on the other the interact with a computer program, and thus, I totally agree that you need actual physical interaction to educate. But why do you assume that a Kindle isn't physical? Because it's smaller? In that case paperbacks are "less physically interactive" than hardcovers because they are smaller. The only difference between a Kindle an a real book is that one is slimmer, easier to carry, and contains a lot more books. The Kindle does not lack that 'physical' aspect at all.

As for your other point about e-books being easier to rip off, this is blatantly untrue. As long as you have ideas and copyright, you have pirates. I've lived in India, and I can tell you that on every other street corner there is another hawker peddling cheap pirated hardcopy books. Going digital does not harm authors at all, in fact it acts to their advantage. Firstly e-publishing has a very low barrier to entry. Authors don't have to pay for printing costs, or distribution. Next, with digital publishing you don't even need a publisher. Instead of signing off royalties to a publishing firm, you can manage an e-book's sales quite easily on your own from your home PC. Add this to the fact that e-books reduce the need for paper, and hence trees, and you see that it is a pretty brilliant and advantageous piece of technology. I'm not saying people should stop buying actual books, just that e-books aren't at all as bad as you make them out to be, and they are a lot more versatile.
As for your final statement. please elaborate, what exactly are we losing in the digitization process?
A lie can run around the world before the truth has got its boots on.
- Terry Pratchett

Si non confectus, non recifiat - If it ain't broken, don't fix it.

549 Reviews

Reviews: 549
Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:17 am
Stori says...

I just want to put in two cents here. If publishing my stories were just a matter of money, I'd do something else for a living. Writing with me is a compulsion, a need to express myself in a way that I might not be able to voice out loud.

Random avatar

Reviews: 142
Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:46 am
View Likes
Doctor Kitty says...

Technology chugs on. Things become smaller, more efficient. The ondemand movement cannot be stopped.

Also my kindle is the sex.

EDIT: Oh, and, I wouldn't worry too much about history. We are far more capable of safely recording our history with the advent of the internet and cloud computing.

401 Reviews

Reviews: 401
Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:59 am
View Likes
Nate says...

Doctor Kitty wrote:
EDIT: Oh, and, I wouldn't worry too much about history. We are far more capable of safely recording our history with the advent of the internet and cloud computing.

Good to see you back MisterWaffles! But alas, I must disagree. Paper, when stored appropriately, can survive massive fires, earthquakes, hurricanes, political upheaval, etc. On the other hand, information that is stored electronically isn't so foolhardy.

But, that may not be a bad thing. The Internet is filled with minutiae that we probably wouldn't want future generations to see...

However, the Kindle is indeed sex.
Owner, Founder, Site Administrator

YWS on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/youngwriterssociety
Twitter: https://twitter.com/yws_gazette
Tumblr: http://ywsgazette.tumblr.com/

Got YWS?

403 Reviews

Reviews: 403
Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:21 am
SmylinG says...

*Is completely saddened how NOOK was upstaged by the kindle in this convo*. . .
Paul is my little, evil, yellow bundle of joy.

3676 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3676
Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:52 am
View Likes
Snoink says...

This is my "YAY, I AM DESTROYING CIVILIZATION BY HAVING A KINDLE!" face:

Photo 749.jpg
Forgive the mess... I am packing up my stuff so I can move.
Photo 749.jpg (95.82 KiB) Viewed 190 times

No, but seriously? There are a lot of out-of-print books that I am enjoying that are available for free on the Kindle, including some neat histories and such.

Plus, all my novels are on my Kindle as well (I transferred them on!), so if I want to read through them and edit, I can do so. It's reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally handy. I don't have to buy a laptop (handy, because I don't have much money) and I don't have to print lots of paper for just a rough draft. It's a good thing!

Did I mention you can make notes and stuff on it and put bookmarks in it easily? Yeah, you can do that to a regular book to, but I hate marking up books. I don't mind marking up the Kindle though! So, it was easy to make 70 notes on my Kindle for the Iliad and then to highlight all the quotes I wanted to use for my papers.

Also... I've had wrist/arm problems in the past so that holding books was a problem, especially bigger books. It was physically painful. Because the Kindle is so light, I can hold it easily, and the way you hold it is actually way better for my arms than a regular book. Less pain = happier Karina.

I still don't mind real books, but... well... I prefer the Kindle now. It's just so much more easier.

In any case, don't hate us. :P We all have our reasons!
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

243 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 243
Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:16 pm
View Likes
Blink says...

Art, philosophy and science have never been the same since we stopped using wax tablets...

Amazon is the enemy.
"A man's face is his autobiography. A woman's face is her work of fiction." ~ Oscar Wilde

159 Reviews

Reviews: 159
Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:34 pm
MeanMrMustard says...

Blink wrote:Art, philosophy and science have never been the same since we stopped using wax tablets...

Amazon is the enemy.

I have nothing to contribute except that this comment made me want to lol and I lol'd. Kudos, Blink.

Ok, so something worth making this post for: we sell all types of e-readers at my bookstore I work at, and interest is very, very high based on the customers we get (professors, business workers, suits, students, creepers, the homeless, insects, etc.). At the same time if you watch closely you'll notice a large percentage of the customers browsing the book aisles scoff at seeing them immediately and avoid them like herpes was tacked onto the casing.

They're here to stay, what with well over five types available competing with each other, and that's that. Nonetheless, I like my books. The only way I'll use them? If they hold a textbook for a class and it makes sense to get it that way or for a business/company/employer requires it in the future.

People can debate the practicality and benefits and usage, etc, but to me the simple terms of usage of when, where, and why are all that matters in my opinion.

58 Reviews

Reviews: 58
Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:30 pm
View Likes
spinelli says...

I really have a thing against the Kindle and all other e-books. They don't smell good.

27 Reviews

Reviews: 27
Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:54 am
Starhunter says...

I'd have to agree with Fishr- I don't like Kindles or any other kinds of ebook/eReader things.

As aforementioned by you other people, I like the feel of the book and the way it smells and I like the way you leave marks in it- sometimes pages bent or those white lines on the binding, that give it character. You don't have that on eReaders, just a typical, everyday computer screen. You should see the binding of one of my favorite books... can't even read the title anymore, I lent it to so many people.
And that's one of the things that bugs me about ebooks- you can't lend them to people! You can't share it with a friend or anything. You buy it and it's yours. Boom. No sharing. I don't know about you but I like to share and borrow myself.

Also, I don't like how it's electric. Your battery dies and you can't read. Lame. And since it's electric, people can track what you read. Since it's digital, it can even be altered at any time and people might not even notice. I know it sounds very conspiracy theorist of me but can you really not see one government in the world checking up on what its people are reading, ever in a hundred years? At least if it's a book they'd know if you bought it or maybe if you got it from the library, but there are more ways to get books than that.

I realize that eReaders are easier to carry and stuff, and I get that. But personally, I'd rather have a good old book.
Why do we fall?
So we can learn to pick ourselves up.

106 Reviews

Reviews: 106
Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:17 pm
View Likes
Funkymomo says...

Kindle- lightweight, doesn't use the time it takes to go to a bookstore and buy a book, and can hold many books. plus, all the pages are in mint condition also holds battery charge for long time and works in many lightings.

Book- I can see the whole 3D thing and tell how far into it I am. I get to express myself by holding one and putting them in my room.

My vote goes to kindle. While swords may be effective, hands-on killing machines, guns get the job done better and you don't need as many skills. You don't need different skills to read a book, but this example shows how modern technology can do things you need them to do better- like having hundreds of books fit into a suitcase. Personally, I hate guns though. and swords.
Light one candle instead of cursing the darkness.