Young Writers Society

Home » Forums » Community » Serious Discussion and Debate

Actual Society

Post a reply
470 Reviews

Reviews: 470
Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:14 am
GeeLyria says...

The saying, "In Rome do as the Romans do" is like saying: "If someone jumps off a cliff, jump after him."
Observing our actual society, I came up with a conclusion; Parents do not raise their children, society does. And it also makes sure to threaten with "What they might say/think".

Is it that we should pretend to be "normal" so that we don't get labeled as crazy?; Should we have our eyes wide open to notice what makes us ridiculous or cool, what's wrong or right ?(according to society).

Is it for that same reason that people that don't let others manipulate them that way are stereotyped as dissidents or revolutionaries?
Is it that later on these same people create a new society, one that will be totally "normal" in the future?

What do you think?
Noob is a state of being, not a length of time. ~Ego

"Serás del tamaño de tus pensamientos; no te permitas fracasar."

345 Reviews

Reviews: 345
Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:58 am
Jenthura says...

Just go with your own flow. Who gives a flying horse about what others think of you? Sure it'll affect your relationship with them, but I hardly doubt you'd want any sort of ties with somebody who treats differently for how you act.
Just don't go crazy, you know? ;)
-ж-Ж-ж-

55 Reviews

Reviews: 55
Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:45 am
View Likes
Rob says...

Sadly that is true. And many young ones fall into their trap.
There is no normal in this world. And nobody should ever be atributed the words "normal" and "crazy".
Maybe from my point of view, I myself am "normal" but others label me as "crazy". And frankly I do not really care.
The most important thing is you should feel good with yourself, and do what seems right to do.
And reffering to Jenthura, if those "friends" do not want to be near you because they think you aren't "normal" , than you do not belong between those people. Every person has it's own antourage where he or she fits perfectly.
"The day we lose our need for dreams is the day the human race forfeits its soul." -John Chiam
"Morpheus: Do you believe in fate, Neo?
Neo: No.
Morpheus: Why not?
Neo: Because I don't like the idea that I'm not in control of my life." -Matrix

401 Reviews

Reviews: 401
Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:34 am
View Likes
Nate says...

I don't know about you all, but I hope I go to my grave being called a crazy son of a gun. I don't ever want to be called normal or considered anything of the sort. I want to be abnormal, and I hope I'm recognized as such.

Besides, I'd refuse to join an entourage that would have me as a member.
Owner, Founder, Site Administrator

YWS on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/youngwriterssociety
Twitter: https://twitter.com/yws_gazette
Tumblr: http://ywsgazette.tumblr.com/

Got YWS?

257 Reviews

Reviews: 257
Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:33 am
View Likes
Caerulean says...

Parents do not raise their children, society does.

Unless the parents came from a different society xP, they will have to mix their 'culture' with the one they are in at the present.
- Caerulean -

(Previous Username: Whisperer)

"Many that live deserve death. Some that die deserve life." - Gandalf, The Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowship Of The Ring

470 Reviews

Reviews: 470
Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:39 pm
GeeLyria says...

Whisperer wrote:
Parents do not raise their children, society does.

Unless the parents came from a different society xP, they will have to mix their 'culture' with the one they are in at the present.

Yep, and that diffrent society raised those parents. xP Perhaps, depending on what that culture brings they become dissidents too.
Noob is a state of being, not a length of time. ~Ego

"Serás del tamaño de tus pensamientos; no te permitas fracasar."

140 Reviews

Reviews: 140
Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:41 pm
View Likes
XxMattxX says...

I'm going to go out on a limb and say something, here.

Currently, normalcy doesn't even exist.

Every human being has something ( be it a characteristic or experience) that makes them unique.Every human being goes through their own share of abnormal experiences and adventures- if not, then life could always be predictable.
And if it is unique to just that one individual, it's not normal.
That is, unless we define being normal upon the presence of abnormalities- which would mean that the term "normal" is, in itself, a contradiction.

nor·mal
[nawr-muhl]
–adjective
1. conforming to the standard or the common type; usual; not abnormal; regular; natural.
2. serving to establish a standard.
3. Psychology .
a. approximately average in any psychological trait, as intelligence, personality, or emotional adjustment.
b. free from any mental disorder; sane.

So I guess that being abnormal and unique is normal, but having no identity is abnormal- due to the fact that you lack your own defining trait.
But that would make you normal due to the fact that this would be your abnormality....

So everyone is normal because they are all different.
Being individuals is what makes us normal.

I hope you get my point.

Right/Wrong is a different idea.
Religion, culture, and your individual mindset ( Possibilist/Environmental Determinist), can really contribute to what you, as an individual consider to be normally wrong, or normally, right.
But it doesn't mean that being "right' is normal.
So It's only has a slight correlation...

Again, I hope that you understand my point.

-XxJojoxX
Solvalery/GeeLyria Fans
Link

185 Reviews

Reviews: 185
Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:46 am
View Likes
inkwell says...

Aim above morality and society's norms.
"The most incomprehensible thing about the world is that it is comprehensible." — Einstein

41 Reviews

Reviews: 41
Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:03 am
View Likes
Nikko says...

Humans are like wolves, you have to hunt with your pack in order to survive. It's one of nature's instincts that we have in us for so long. That's why we have tribes, nations and ideologies for us to follow in order to form such groups so that we can co-exist with each other or else be ostracized. A bit of conformity is nice, but when you have to much of it, you'll drown in a sea of simplicity and you wouldn't be able to stand out anymore.
"The means dictates the end" - Denam Morne