No
6%

Total votes : 16

351 Reviews

Reviews: 351
Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:09 pm
View Likes
ToritheMonster says...

So, what do you think of love? What does it actually mean? Are you the type who thinks that every relationship you're in is love? Or are you like me- you only think that you truly love once. What do you think of the teens who are always "in love" with their boy or girlfriend?

Commence.
Honey, you should see me in a crown.

159 Reviews

Reviews: 159
Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:38 pm
MeanMrMustard says...

Not worth wondering about. It's like time, you don't live in the past anymore and you will never know the future, you only have the present to depend upon. The present requires just as much reflection of yourself as the other two, if not more, it demands action and accountability now.

351 Reviews

Reviews: 351
Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:38 pm
View Likes
ToritheMonster says...

But I feel like people get confused in the present. Or are they not? I don't know. It's weird.
Honey, you should see me in a crown.

Reviews: 3
Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:04 am
View Likes
AuroraOrodel says...

On the contrary, MMM, love is very much worth wondering about. Whether or not you believe it's a social construct overlaid onto a biological process, the sensation and state of mind we call love is a great motivator of human behavior. As writers, what could be more important to us than human behavior and all the mess we make of it? Love creates conflict, and conflict is where stories are born.

I'm going to assume we're talking just about romantic love. Love is hard, painful, and messy. You will laugh just as much as you will cry, and there will be anger, frustration, doubt, and all manner of unpleasant feelings. There's a line from the play Quake that I can't quite remember, but it's something to the effect of love is learning what faults you're willing to accept. Basically, you can't love another person until you accept that they are never going to be perfect and neither are you. In contrast, there's the line from the film Love Story: "Love is never having to say you're sorry", which, frankly, is bull. Love is not only having to say you're sorry (a lot), but knowing when you need to and being able to accept it from the other person.

As for whether you can love more than once, I don't think there's a definite answer. Some people might be able to, but I don't know if I'm one of them. I love my ex-boyfriend, but I love him as one of my closest friends, not as a romantic or life partner. I think it's easy to feel in love with someone, but much harder to really love them because love is work.
"You cannot pronounce as knowledge anything you cannot demonstrate."
~Margaret Atwood

"The good writers touch life often. The mediocre ones run a quick hand over her. The bad ones rape her and leave her for the flies."
~Fahrenheit 451

28 Reviews

Reviews: 28
Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:32 pm
View Likes
Confictura says...

I was reading a book some odd years ago when one of the philosophies from it really made sense to me, so I've stood by its definition of 'love' ever since.

To love someone is to value their existence over your own. You'd rather them live on than yourself. This applies to friends, family, romantic interests. I think this makes sense, can you really think of anyone that you "love" who you would choose to die over yourself?

This is only one of many philosophies that try to define what love is. I think this makes the most sense to me, so I'll follow this and spread it around as my opinion. Feel free to nit-pick it, I'm curious to see arguments against it :)
Help, help! I'm being repressed!

159 Reviews

Reviews: 159
Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:42 pm
View Likes
MeanMrMustard says...

Don't agree with "die over yourself"; if that's the conclusion of the book that's way too over-dramatic and fatalistic. Can it not also mean you would be perfectly fine with the other person loving other people (assumption they love you back equally)? And if you were fine, you loved them that much, and for whatever reasons you two weren't possible, the same conclusion is found that they live and go on without you. Basically, conclusions that involve death or drama seem unrealistic to me on a day to day basis.

Also Aurora, consider what I'm saying. Love is obviously hard work because you have to work now and be accountable now and be able to live presently with responsibility, as well as plan for a future ahead. It's daunting. The only way I see it being done is to be proactive now and pay attention, and hope for some luck.

877 Reviews

Reviews: 877
Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:02 am
View Likes
Elinor Brynn says...

Are we just speaking about romantic love, or love in general? If it's the latter, I love my brother, I love my parents, I love my cousin, I love my friends, so then it would be a definite yes.

If it is the former, I honestly don't know. It really depends on the person. The way our bodies work our strange and it can get confusing; whether the love is unrequited or not, we'll feel very strongly about more than one person in our lives, but somehow, somewhere, someday, we're going to come across one that is different from all of the others - one might call that their soulmate, who you may or may not spend the rest of your life with. Basically, I think that it is possible to love and feel strongly toward different people, but there is one person in your life who you are destined for that is different from all the others.

All our dreams can come true — if we have the courage to pursue them.

-- Walt Disney

321 Reviews

Reviews: 321
Mon May 02, 2011 6:24 pm
View Likes
Flower~Child says...

I believe that you love more than once because I have. I also believe that you can stop loving that person. Love is merely a choice. You choose who you love. If you don't love a person you will have no desire to be with them

I fell in love with a guy when I was around twelve or thirteen years old. I loved him so much that I dealt with everything that he threw at me. He called me names, cussed me out numerous time, dumped me, came back and made my life heck, tried to ruin every relationship I used to move on, and never left me alone. He is to this day a misserable player. I loved him just the same for three years. Now I have decided that I can find better and have found better.

I had to make myself stop loving him, because love is merely a choice. Love in the dictionary goes something like, the desire to provide and protect someone more than you own self. I loved him and I made myself quit loving him. I don't believe that it's something that you can fall into, I also don't believe there is love at first site. I am in love with the most wonderful guy in the world now. We have had conflicts and if I didn't love him I wouldn't be with him now nor he I. It's just something that takes time and patience.
My reality comes to a close as I once again realize that you don't love me, and even if I love you with my everything you will never care.

261 Reviews

Reviews: 261
Wed May 04, 2011 2:20 pm
View Likes
SparkToFlame says...

I'm love.
Not with just my boyfriend.
With my family.
I thought I was in love once. I was wrong.
But Love isn't just a romantic thing.
Its a strong conncection of feeling towards somebody or somebodies.
So personally, I think love is a state of mind.
Someone may think their in love,
but the next person they date,
they think their even in love.

So love is a friendship strengthened by a deep strong connection of trust,longing,hope,and love.

~Dramallama
"There's no yellow bricks to follow back and run from that disaster...
Believe me...
There's no place like home."

Formerly SparkOfDoubt