Young Writers Society

Home » Forums » Community » Serious Discussion and Debate

Do you think that the world will have 1 state?

Post a reply
36 Reviews

Reviews: 36
Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:19 pm
tr3x says...

Oh let's not make this about religion. While I think the Babelites had the right idea (striving to reach heaven and so on) think about the practical applications of this on a global scale. I doubt human beings are going to be able to forgo all their petty territorial disputes to unify under one government, but a global coalition - the United Nations seems to be an example of this - does seem possible.
I am not a fan of the EU. While it may have advantages, it seems to become more bureaucratic and convoluted with each passing day. This coupled with the fact that certain states have a more power than others (I'm looking at you France and Germany) means that it isn't really an accurate representation of all the people, and if a global government is one thing, it should be that.
Collaboration between nations? Sure. But a single government? I would oppose that.
A lie can run around the world before the truth has got its boots on.
- Terry Pratchett

Si non confectus, non recifiat - If it ain't broken, don't fix it.

729 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 729
Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:32 am
Lava says...

Mhmm. I'm agreeing with Tr3x.
"Collaboration between nations? Sure. But a single government? I would oppose that."
I BLOG!
~
Pretending in words was too tentative, too vulnerable, too embarrassing to let anyone know.
- Ian McEwan in Atonement

sachi: influencing others since GOD KNOWS WHEN.

185 Reviews

Reviews: 185
Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:04 pm
inkwell says...

tr3x wrote:Oh let's not make this about religion. While I think the Babelites had the right idea (striving to reach heaven and so on) think about the practical applications of this on a global scale. I doubt human beings are going to be able to forgo all their petty territorial disputes to unify under one government, but a global coalition - the United Nations seems to be an example of this - does seem possible.
I am not a fan of the EU. While it may have advantages, it seems to become more bureaucratic and convoluted with each passing day. This coupled with the fact that certain states have a more power than others (I'm looking at you France and Germany) means that it isn't really an accurate representation of all the people, and if a global government is one thing, it should be that.
Collaboration between nations? Sure. But a single government? I would oppose that.

See previous argument: weak currency (we're on the brink of a global meltdown) and enough fear, and history takes surprising turns. OR think longer down the road when most people do speak a common language, and people travel the globe often and quickly. You can't stop globalization.

As far as the EU goes, it's being tested so to speak and still has time to prove itself.
"The most incomprehensible thing about the world is that it is comprehensible." — Einstein

66 Reviews

Reviews: 66
Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:41 pm
Matthew says...

I fear that if a one world government was formed, people like me who would oppose it would only be considered a conspirator and a threat to the state. Hence, I would be shut down and excluded from the global community. In other words, I would have no say whatsoever in the matter because the government would have ultimate and final decision.
One fine day in the middle of the night, two dead men got up to fight. Back to back they face one another, drew their swords and shot each other!

185 Reviews

Reviews: 185
Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:02 am
inkwell says...

Matthew wrote:I fear that if a one world government was formed, people like me who would oppose it would only be considered a conspirator and a threat to the state. Hence, I would be shut down and excluded from the global community. In other words, I would have no say whatsoever in the matter because the government would have ultimate and final decision.

Well, in democracies, yes: there are decisions that you cannot veto.
"The most incomprehensible thing about the world is that it is comprehensible." — Einstein