Young Writers Society

Home » Forums » Community » Serious Discussion and Debate

Do you think that the world will have 1 state?

Post a reply
31 Reviews

Reviews: 31
Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:10 am
spike71294 says...

Do you think that the world will ever have a single government to rule it?
If yes then how will it establish itself i.e. how will such a big change come about? (War for example.)

28 Reviews

Reviews: 28
Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:08 pm
View Likes
Confictura says...

Without trying to sound like a crazy hobo living under burnside, I have to say that it'll be aliens. When we discover intelligent alien life, the world will unite. even if it's because we dominate eachother over the right of "We're the leaders of this planet"

I think the perfect way it could happen is leave all the countries as they are, but have them all vote democratically when it comes to galactic matters.

without aliens, it'll probably be something close to the Nazis, but more succesful. Total dystopian future awaits us my friends, the end is extremely freaking nigh...
Help, help! I'm being repressed!

36 Reviews

Reviews: 36
Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:57 pm
View Likes
tr3x says...

Not a snow-flake's chance in hell. People of the world are too diverse to ever co-operate sufficiently to become one big happy family, and that's a good thing. The bigger a country gets, the more bureaucracy weighs it down. How would a President (or Prime Minister; that would be the first big argument) from the US understand the problems of people in Jamaica? How would you elect a leader? Make 7 billion people vote? How many political parties would you have? Even if aliens invaded, why the hell would we all unite? And why does Confictura assume aliens would be hostile octopus-Nazi-man-eaters?
Anyway, that's besides the point. The only possible way I see this happening is if there is a huge disaster, 90% of the population die, and the other 10% group together for survival. And even then, only maybe.
A lie can run around the world before the truth has got its boots on.
- Terry Pratchett

Si non confectus, non recifiat - If it ain't broken, don't fix it.

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:35 pm
View Likes
Unfinite says...

I have to agree with everyone who is against the concept of a united planet, at least in terms of a singular state.
I live in Northern Ireland and it acts as a microcosm for the very thing you're pondering. (For those of you who don't know, Northern Ireland used to be a part of Ireland, but British settlers lande hundreds of years back, claimed it as their own and now we're - officially at least - British. Since that point the Irish, mainly Catholic but not purely, have rebelled against the British in an attempt to reclaim what they see as their country.)

By looking at my home country in this way, and the efforts of both the Irish and Briish governments in an attempt to stabilise the country, and failing miserably, I can't see any way that the entire planet could co-exist. After all, if a small country like mine can't equalise cultures, religions and rightful claims to territory, what hope does humanity have of synthesising all of the planet's minorities in an effort to gain a singular indentity?
He catches raindrops from his window
They remind him of how we fall
From the stars back to our cities
Where we've never felt so small

- White Lies (From the Stars)

220 Reviews

Reviews: 220
Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:11 am
View Likes
Jennya says...

Nope, unless there is ...
1. Crazy dictator
2. Aliens but then once the aliens leave we will go back to old system
3. All get brainwashed
4. Somehow all become cyborgs under the rule of one super computer

People will always hate and kill each other. As long as we are people, people will always disagree.
Stay gold, Ponyboy - S.E. Hinton

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:21 pm
View Likes
MrSocks says...

I believe this could happen. The world is already increasing united. This is evident by things like the European Union, United Nations, and G8 summits. The advantages of having international coordination allows us solves problems like global warming and establish the Euro currency.

I understand that it doesn't seem possible to having a governing system that can attend to Kansas, Switzerland, and Jamima's needs all at once. The thing is, why should those decision have to conflict? There is a single best decision for the maximizing the positive impact on the entire world. If I think in an "Us-Them" mindset than I will make decisions that benefit Us. This is evident by many Americans when asked "what should we do about illegal immigration" they respond in some manner that signifies that they care more about Americans that Mexicans. They say "But they will take our jobs!". If we no longer used labeling like Mexicans and Americans, than it would simply be "people taking peoples jobs". We can make and should make decisions based on the fact that people are people and governments should help people regardless of where they are born.

My next point is a much more theoretical idea. Nobody knew what a democracy was before it was invented. Everyone just accepted the fact the monarchs lead people. However the invention of democracy changed that outlook. What is, there was a governmental system that hasn't been created yet? One that was designed to handle the needs of a super massive population? What if there is a system that can out-smart the natural progress of corruption that hasn't been invented yet?

I know its hard to thing of something of new when your only criteria is "something completely original". Let me give you an example of a new political system.

First, we do away with Executive, and Legislative branch. These are subject to bribes and corruption by lobbyist and special interest groups. Government agencies are created to handle Policing, Education, civil stuff etc... Here the twist.
Everyone makes the budget. When you go to the election booth every year, you are give the power to assign the budget in whatever way you want. If you think Education needs 30% of the total budget than you can digitally assign 30% of the money to that field. The computer gathers all this information about what every single person thinks the budget ought to be and averages it. This statistic is the most trueful and telling governing body. If a government agency is doing a bad job, than you just give it Zero percent.

That is one example of a government system that doesn't function in a manner of anything else. It is possible to invent a new politcal system that can manage 6 Billion people.

This is my blog for posting art, poems, philosophy, paintings, photos, or video and other creative works that I've done in my free time.
I would be very happy if you checked it out, and made a comment or two!

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Thu May 26, 2011 5:40 pm
Mongererofspoons says...

spike71294 wrote:Do you think that the world will ever have a single government to rule it?
If yes then how will it establish itself i.e. how will such a big change come about? (War for example.)

I have actually thought how the world may be a better place if it was under a single government before :D
of course, it would mean no more wars between countries, cases that involve criminals that have ran from the country would be easier to catch, and would also stop corrupt governments breaking human rights (assuming they aren't corrupt themselves)
Now for the negative bit. I doubt this will ever happen, simply because of the different religious ideas of some, and also the fact that their will always be others wanting to have power over places, those two reasons are mainly how countries get separated in the first place. As for the possibility of it happening, I think it would be through war, as I cannot imagine such a thing happening in a diplomatic way.

58 Reviews

Reviews: 58
Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:09 pm
View Likes
spinelli says...

I've been feeling like a major conspirator lately [actually, just this morning I was reading all about this on the Wiki XD], but I have to say yes. I'm 18, American, so I'm legal to vote now. Presumably I should be very concerned with the upcoming election, soaking in all the talk of the new candidates and whatnot. I'm Texan, and I'm a Christian, so I think we can surmise the political background with which I've grown up. :B Being a Christian, I've always believed that the AntiChrist will rule with a one-world government. In a nutshell. : P So for that reason, I've always believed that there would eventually be 1 state, but I was only a youngin. *shrug* Faith aside, I've always been pretty involved with politics, just as an interest. I followed the presidential race when I was 15 with a magnifying glass taking part in the one-side-versus-the-other battle, but now [ironically when I'm actually allowed to vote], I've realized that it's all wrong. *shrug* At first it was just gaining the understanding that liberals AND conservatives could never be fully right. It was simply understanding that our fighting wasn't any way to solve problems. But now I really think they're all just playing around. I think there's more layers to "goverment" than people think, and it's not as complicated as people try to make it out. I don't know about all that Illuminati stuff, but I'm suspicious there could be something like it. But ultimately, the idea is not far-fetched, and I think that I'm going to be around to see it.

Biblically [yes, Biblically :/ just assume for a moment this is all true] there will be lots of bad things happening [weather-wise (floods, earthquakes, so on), politically (uprisings,violence), technology will boom (*shrugs*), and wrong will become right (hm). Things will be terrible before there can be peace. No one knows exactly how this "peace" will happen, but there are possibilities. There is LOTS of call for change regarding homosexual marriage, bullying, peace for all kinds of people, typically generated at the youth. There is also a HUGE global concern for the environment and "going green," there is technology being shared throughout the world, even to children in Africa [what are they gonna do with a laptop?], and of course, let's remember the Internet. The world is becoming increasingly connected, so ideas are more easily spread.

And there is control. We don't even think about it, but control is everywhere. Most recently, the TSA in America. People argue it's for our safety, but this is just more of our freedom being taken away for the SAKE of freedom. Our internet and phone calls can be tapped for the SAKE of freedom. I dunno. But control is right next to peace on this one.

I talk to much. Sorry.

549 Reviews

Reviews: 549
Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:06 pm
View Likes
Stori says...

I hear what you're all saying. And Spinelli, what you said makes me think of Benjamin Franklin's words.

Those that give up a little liberty to gain safety deserve neither.

310 Reviews

Reviews: 310
Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:52 am
View Likes
Jash says...

Yes. It's starting.
A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him´╗┐ than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell

-CS Lewis

BUY MY MUSIC ON iTUNES.|Got a life?|facebook.com/jashbagabaldo

130 Reviews

Reviews: 130
Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:52 am
View Likes
Rubric says...

Interesting thought.

Would the government be an Islamic Caliphate?

If yes, how did the democratic west let it happen?

If no, why did the Islamic community (Ummah?) let it happen?
Finally got bit by the writing bug again.

work.php?id=95584

If you PM me to review your work, and it has less than 3 reviews, I will review it, no questions asked.

Got YWS?

31 Reviews

Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:48 am
View Likes
spike71294 says...

So, I don't even remember how long ago I made this thread and people still reply to it.
I feel I should also write what I think about it (finally!).
One thing's for sure, if there will be a state then it would have to be something sort of a parliamentary democracy. 'Coz I don't think any other kind would survive.

But that would mean elections...and that needs money. Not all countries can afford it.
Another way around it is that each country should choose a group of representative by whatever means for the world parliament. Although, it wouldn't be a democracy in true sense...rather a pseudo-democracy.

I don't think the Nazi thing will work because it just too hard to conquer the whole freaking world and maintain power!

And if aliens invade would we have time to form a world state? I don't think so.

And if aliens are gonna rule us, then we will be just slaves, where does the state come in this?

I agree that it's very hard to maintain stability with diversity.
I live in India. There are 1.3 billion people here. They speak around 1632 languages. 18 of them are scheduled in the constitution. I think every religion exists here. And the majority religious community (Hindus) is so diverse that they can easily form more than 1000 nations if divided on the basis of culture.
Still India functions as a nation-state. How?
It has a federal set-up that gives autonomy to various states. The boundary of these states are drawn on the basis of language, culture, and the aspirations of the people.
If each country is given sufficient autonomy, it would be both practical and efficient. And thus, a world state can exist.
I think it would be easiest to use international institutions like UN to bring forth a world state.
This would prevent wars and would do away with many conflicts. This would enable Humanity to function as a single cohesive unit.

But I agree we would need strong systems and processes to maintain this state.
And I agree that this state should and would have a different form.
But I don't think Executive and Legislature can be done away with. And deciding the budget of a whole NATION is extremely difficult. It needs expertise. Voters will only think about themselves, moreover not everyone can make an informed choice. It's too complex to be done by everyone.
I think the budget of the world state would be like the budget of UN.
Long thing short, the world state will just be an authority that unifies all other nations. It won't mean that all the existing states will be dissolved into one. They will just unite and work as one.

And @Rubric
I don't understand why you specifically chose the Islamic caliphate or the democratic 'west' (BTW world's largest democracy is in south Asia. It's in the east side of the world.) there can be many conflicts between various other groups. Jews, Hindus, Muslims, etc.
But with the federal model it can be dealt with.

I won't comment on the religious things.
But personally, I believe that Apocalypse is just a phase. I mean every religion speaks of it, but some religions also say that the cycle continues. And in fact, Apocalypse can be an end to the world as we know it and the beginning of a new, better world. It may just be a worldwide social revolution.

243 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 243
Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:29 pm
Blink says...

Economic globalisation = political globalisation = cultural globalisation

Who knows? The world could have one state.
"A man's face is his autobiography. A woman's face is her work of fiction." ~ Oscar Wilde

31 Reviews

36 Reviews

Reviews: 36
Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:09 am
View Likes
tr3x says...

Cultural globalization or cultural domination? I'd say the latter is the only possible solution.

India is a bad example. I'm Indian, and I can tell you that it is true that we have an immensely diverse range of cultures converging in a single society. That's why it doesn't work very well. Prejudice, class discrimination and racism are quite common. There is quite a lot of conflict between states, and the sheer idiocy of inter state affairs and bureaucracy means that the system doesn't function very well. This is an a single subcontinent on the planet.

Now imagine every nation in the world under a single government institution. There is absolutely no possible way everyone would get along. Cultural/political/religious differences are too complex. Only through conquest and domination i]could one achieve global unity, and that's not going to happen either.

Alongside this is the concept of nationalism and patriotism. I really don't see many people being endeared with the idea of a single state. I know I wouldn't, and any patriotic citizen of any nation would find the idea of being governed by a prime minister from halfway across the world ludicrous.
I just don't see it happening.

Why do you think people would even want a united state?
A lie can run around the world before the truth has got its boots on.
- Terry Pratchett

Si non confectus, non recifiat - If it ain't broken, don't fix it.