Young Writers Society

Home » Forums » Community » Serious Discussion and Debate

Religion causes more problems than it solves

Post a reply

Reviews: 2
Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:24 pm
View Likes
coldsky says...

May I just jump in to ask why thinking that this life is all you have is depressing?

Frankly, if I thought there was something else beyond my life, I would find that depressing. In the end, I'm going to end up in some other existential realm, so what's the point of sticking around if life is only a short prelude to something greater?

I like the idea that once I die, I die, get put in the ground and then I decompose. Knowing this life is all I have is motivation for me to actually do something with my life, because this is my only chance to make my life count. If there's so much more... well then, what does it matter, because in the end I'll be going to Heaven/Hell/whatever, and what I did while I was alive meant nothing anyway.

That's just my take on it, but that's a little off-topic.

On the subject of whether religion cause more problems than it solves, I'm atheist, but I believe that religion itself does not cause problems, but the interpretations people have of it have caused so much harm throughout the centuries that there simply isn't enough good to justify it.

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:38 pm
View Likes
Mythos says...

livluvroc wrote:you must be type B. you are content with this world and don't realize that when you die (and you wil die), if you believe nothing, then thats it. unless you believe, this life is all the life you have, and that is a depressing thought.

I don't find it depressing in the least.

It may comfort a fanatic Michael Jackson fan to believe Michael Jackson faked his death and is now living in Area 51 somewhere, but that doesn't mean there is a shred of truth to it.

I feel it is better to make such decisions with your brain rather than with your insecurities over death.

51 Reviews

Reviews: 51
Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:49 pm
View Likes
Cole says...

Guys, this discussion just needs to end. This discussion was already declared dead, brought back up, and then declared dead again.

Give it a rest. Everyone is never going to agree on one opinion of religion.
My heart holds all secrets; my heart tells no lies.

~Hosea 6:3~
ונדעה נרדפה לדעת את יהוה כשחר נכון מצאו ויבוא כגשם לנו כמלקוש יורה ארץ׃

36 Reviews

Reviews: 36
Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:01 am
View Likes
Lapis says...

I don't necessarily want hope after death. I like knowing that I have one attempt at life to get what I want from it. It makes me wake-up every day and forces me to pursue things I love so that I enjoy my life.

So without hope for anything after your death, how does your life still have meaning? No matter how well or how poorly you live, you are equally dead. If you have 80 years of joy or 20 years of agony, you will still die, and stay dead. So why not suicide? Cut out the middle man and skip to the chase.

So... This might be a little off-topic, but since time is basically static (same way as space is), you never truly 'die'. Time is an interesting concept, and if you think about it, even if you die, you will still be alive and breathing a few years earlier. Lets say you leave a trail of bread crumbs as you walk around your house. Once you lose all the bread, the trail will still exist. Should be no different with life. I often know, at a time of pain (the dentist!), that I am at the dentist, and yet I am walking out of there one hour later. In the past, I am still writing this post, even though where you will be now, you will have already read it as it was finished. So, all that ever were, are 'still' (perhaps not the word...) alive, in a different time, which still exists. So... We are immortal 8)

P.S. Yes, death might sound depressing, but only if you don't think about it...
"Yeah, I am the brain, some say insane."

"Look for the missing link between your dreams and reality. Find it - it is the key."

-Used to be Letiki :3

86 Reviews

Reviews: 86
Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:10 am
View Likes
Karzkin says...

Existentialism! Woo! My favourite! I agree with Hayden though, this debate is a very long way from where it started (partially my bad. Sorry).

As for religion causing or solving problems, perhaps religion solves plenty of problems, but religious people cause plenty of problems? Actually no, people cause problems, and some of them happen to be religious.
Do not go gentle into that good night.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

K's Killa Kritiques

#TNT

Inkwell: Straighties! Hahaha

140 Reviews

Reviews: 140
Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:24 am
XxMattxX says...

Actually no, people cause problems, and some of them happen to be religious.

Thank you.
Solvalery/GeeLyria Fans
Link

173 Reviews

Reviews: 173
Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:47 am
View Likes
shiney1 says...

I thought this was supposed to be dead...

Guess I was wrong.
"If you ever have a problem don't say 'Hey God I have a big problem.' Rather 'Hey Problem... I have a big God and it's all going to be okay."

♂ + God = ♥
♀ + God = ♥
♂ + ♀ + God = ♥

36 Reviews

Reviews: 36
Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:31 pm
View Likes
Lapis says...

Ah, but threads like this should be immortal. Otherwise, new threads would just start. But if you all want it to die, I will not intervene.
"Yeah, I am the brain, some say insane."

"Look for the missing link between your dreams and reality. Find it - it is the key."

-Used to be Letiki :3

Reviews: 1
Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:27 pm
View Likes
livluvroc says...

i don't think there's much point in letting it live....we're sure not getting anywhere.
When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.

51 Reviews

Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:39 pm
View Likes
Cole says...

Agreed.

3670 Reviews

Reviews: 3670
Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:46 pm
View Likes
Snoink says...

Please, if don't have anything to add that is relevant to the discussion, don't post. ^^ This thread will not be locked though, barring extreme circumstances.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:34 am
View Likes
Mythos says...

Karzkin wrote:Actually no, people cause problems, and some of them happen to be religious.

People cause problems, but they are certainly aided by certain tools. The leading cause of human on human death has been due to IDOL worship. This has included idolising religious & political ideology, which in many ways are the same thing. Hitler aspired to a Godly like status and ambition, for example

Religious & political ideology are, IMO, quite simply brought on through brainwashing. I've never met a religious person who's parents are not religious, I've never met a Communist who's friends aren't Communists. The circle they surround themselves in filter out objective thought and limit the information they receive. Information control IS the most common form of brainwashing.

That is why so many creationists ask incorrect questions about evolution, because they've never had access to scientific information and have been told to reject it from a very young age.

Since religion was the first form of idol worship, I do think it causes problems. It's one of the tools used either way.

306 Reviews

Reviews: 306
Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:57 am
View Likes
AlfredSymon says...

People, people, settle down. We're having a serious discussion here! (Do I sound like a professor? :wink: )

Anyways, in my opinion, not yours or theirs, religion is not a problem. In fact, religion has no bad advantage. If we take a better look at religion, we will find out that we, the humans, are the problem. Why? Who causes war? Who are trying to debate over religions? Who are trying to argue with it?

Humans.

Okay, I think some people would say:
And the cause of what you just said above is religion itself! *Grrrr!

Well not exactly, kind sir. Religion is not the cause, but our, us humans', lack of love, hope and grip in the religion believe on. All the evil (wow, heavy word) in this world is caused by our lack of love for God. Don't say that religion is cause of human folly! Religion teaches us to be righteous to each other and treat each other like family. Wars, debates, arguments; religion already said to not fight over it! It's not its fault that we continue to!

Guys, let's give faith a break, shall we? Let's not be argue about it. Righteousness and family, remember? Let's just say we have different opinions. I have mines you, have yours. End of topic.
Need some feed? Then read some! Take a look at today's Squills at In the News.

The Tatterdemalion takes a tattle!

"Stories are like yarn; just hold on to the tip and let the ball roll away"

51 Reviews

Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:52 pm
Cole says...

Alfred! Thank you. I totally agree.

By the way, only 7% of all the wars in history have actually been caused by religion. Religion is often used to mask the real issues.

32 Reviews

Reviews: 32
Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:05 am
View Likes
Sandvich says...

Religion USED to cause more problems than it solved, back in the days where witch burnings, crusades and inquisitions were common. Back then, the problems it solved basically extended to how the rulers could control their people (divine right of kings and stuff).
Now, today, religion is a lot more beneficial. The only problems it really causes these days stems from the people who follow it (I'm looking at you, American religious right), and there are many religious charities and the like...
But, just for the record, religion is not the reason we have laws. Please don't say it is.

Also, Hayden: That IS quite a lot of wars, if you think about how many there have been...
The Fear Contest - Winners

1st Place - Hit the Black by mikeypro
2nd Place - Makeshift Calamity by jcipriano1
3rd Place - Ashes and Blood by HaydenSmith

"And so I arrive, like a sudden windstorm at a kindergarten picnic!" - Dimentio