Fuel crisis

Post a reply
29 Reviews

Reviews: 29
Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:16 pm
View Likes
jok101 says...

What do you think?

Me? I'm happy in the knowledge that is doesn't exist.

185 Reviews

Reviews: 185
Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:52 pm
View Likes
inkwell says...

Well, we'll never run out of fuel, but its price will rise and I think the solution is solar. Germany has made some pretty impressive policies to get solar panels on their rooftops. This means that space is not being used up, and the panels are close to where they need to send the energy. Overtime these only pay for themselves. Of course, this is full of other benefits, such as independency, clean air, etc.
"The most incomprehensible thing about the world is that it is comprehensible." — Einstein

3670 Reviews

Reviews: 3670
Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:00 am
Snoink says...

But solar panels aren't so good either. :? We did LCAs (Life Cycle Assessments) on them at school, and they are actually made of some pretty toxic materials.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

593 Reviews

Reviews: 593
Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:04 am
Crysi says...

That's actually kinda funny, Snoinkus, considering I live super close to that school and my apartment complex is absolutely covered in solar panels. =/

3670 Reviews

Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:52 am
View Likes
Snoink says...

Well, I wouldn't worry too much about that! Mainly, the concerns that we were looking at were the effects of mining these chemicals out... and it's really not good for the environment at all. There's research going on at our school that are trying to find carbon-based solar panels, but so far our studies on organic material indicate they're not really good at doing that, unfortunately. :(

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

185 Reviews

Reviews: 185
Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:14 am
inkwell says...

What's the chemical in concern? The technology can vary widely.
"The most incomprehensible thing about the world is that it is comprehensible." — Einstein

3670 Reviews

Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:38 am
View Likes
Snoink says...

Silicon, Gallium Arsenide, Copper Indium Diselenide, and Cadmium Telluride are a couple of chemicals used. Not all of the chemicals are bad (though the ones that are bad are REALLY bad), but the mining takes its toll on the environment because of the rarity of them.

86 Reviews

Reviews: 86
Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:41 pm
Karzkin says...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uPVZUTLAvA
Do not go gentle into that good night.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

K's Killa Kritiques

#TNT

Inkwell: Straighties! Hahaha