Home » Forums » Community » Serious Discussion and Debate

Mayan Prediction: 2012 Prophecy

Post a reply
447 Reviews

Reviews: 447
Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:56 pm
ArcticMonkey says...

The world is gonna' end in 2012!

Do you believe this or not? Some people straight up know this won't happen and others believe this completely. Others, like me, are not sure what is going to happen and has spent some time reading different things about it.

When I first heard about this I thought, Great, another stupid world ending story. However, when I researched it, and thought about it more, I think it's possible. It's not like the world is going to end, just like that. A series of events will happen causing this.

A lot of religious people don't believe in this because of various different reasons. For example, Christians believe that Armageddon needs to come before the world ends. I personally think that what's going to happen on 21st December 2012 has Scientific reasons.

Thinking about it makes my head hurt.

So what do you think? Discuss.
Last edited by ArcticMonkey on Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Bug Man had no friends. Not in this life. Not in this job. And plenty of people would put a knife in his back. Paranoia? Hah. Paranoia was common sense."

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:26 am
LookUpThere says...

First of all... as I understand it wasn't it just a cycle ending or something? Also, there could have been discrepancies in the chronology (some people say the date actually passed in 1963 A.D!) So yeah... people are so specific.

Secondly, if there is a disaster, it will likely be blamed on the Mayan Prophecy.

Thirdly, on my opinion, there will be a disaster near the end of 2012 and throughout 2013. There will be several solar flares as the sun peaks its cycle. EMP everywhere, messing with electricity grids. I think most of this hype was caused by the movie. There are many prophecies that have base but are ignored.

What does it mean for the world to end?

(And lastly, according to the movie... I'll survive!)

Reviews: 3
Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:23 am
AuroraOrodel says...

I'm really excited for the media blitz that'll be happening all next year. I think I"ll make a "Mayan Disaster" scrapbook...
"You cannot pronounce as knowledge anything you cannot demonstrate."
~Margaret Atwood

"The good writers touch life often. The mediocre ones run a quick hand over her. The bad ones rape her and leave her for the flies."
~Fahrenheit 451

111 Reviews

Reviews: 111
Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:44 am
Ruth says...

To be honest, I always figured the Mayans just ran out of stone.
"Ruth.
She's alive because she is not dead,
and junk."
~JoJo

842 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 842
Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:23 am
Griffinkeeper says...

In anticipation of the year 2000, survivalists everywhere stocked up on food, water, and ammo because they thought all the computers would shut down, thus destroying western civilization as we know it. In reality, nothing really happened and the world continued spinning.

So, I feel pretty safe about saying that 2012 will come and go.
<YWS><R1><Founders>

401 Reviews

Reviews: 401
Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:34 am
Nate says...

Hey, if you're not stocked up with at least a week's supply of food and water already, then you probably should. It's not a matter of apocalypse or anything like that; it's just common sense. Ever since our power went out for a week during a bad ice storm about ten years ago, my parents have always kept a week's supply of canned food and water in the basement. That way, they're prepared for any unfortunate event (which these days includes terrorism as well). You don't want to be toughing it out to the grocery store during a natural disaster, and you certainly don't want to fight the crowds once you get there.

By the way, a week's supply of water isn't really all that much. Most of us actually get enough water already from what we eat. For a family of 4, all you need is 2 gallons of water per day.

As for 2012, I say bring it on.
Owner, Founder, Site Administrator

YWS on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/youngwriterssociety
Twitter: https://twitter.com/yws_gazette
Tumblr: http://ywsgazette.tumblr.com/

Got YWS?

482 Reviews

Reviews: 482
Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:37 pm
Ranger Hawk says...

Big_Cheesy_Grin wrote:To be honest, I always figured the Mayans just ran out of stone.

Same. :D
There are two kinds of folks who sit around thinking about how to kill people:
psychopaths and mystery writers.

I'm the kind that pays better.
~Rick Castle

28 Reviews

Reviews: 28
Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:04 am
Confictura says...

Found this in a newspaper when all this started going 'round, pretty much sums my views up on it.
Do you really think the mayans would make a calendar going to forever? WE don't even make calendars going forever! and we have all KINDS of technology to make a system that would work!

Well... We do have a calendar system that goes into forever... but shuttup, I'm trying to make a point here!
Attachments
calendar bizarro.jpg
calendar bizarro.jpg (61.02 KiB) Viewed 249 times
Help, help! I'm being repressed!

140 Reviews

Reviews: 140
Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:35 pm
XxMattxX says...

I just guessed it was becasue they got tired of making calenders...
probably.
I have yet to meet one person who believes the world is going to end next year.
But from a Christian perspective, the world won't and can't end, because not everyone has had an equal opportunity to hear the true gospel, and chance to accept Christ as Lord and savior.

So i don't think the world will end, because it just doesn't add up to what the word of God says.
But maybe that's just me.

** but if it does end(probably won't) , it won't be just a big bang or something... more like a series of traumatic events.

---------------------
-jojo.
Solvalery/GeeLyria Fans
Link

106 Reviews

Reviews: 106
Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:38 pm
Flux says...

@AuroraOrodel: That's actually a really good idea ... you've inspired a hobby for me!

@BigCheesyGrin: Same. Or that their race was wiped out before finishing ...

@Nate: Ahah, good advice. It seems that you will be the only one sufficiently prepared in case 2012 comes along ...

Now, about me ... I don't believe a single bit of it. Like many other jokes that have been floating around, I just believe the Mayas got bored, ran out stone, or their race was wiped out before finishing. Anyone who gets paranoid about this is going to be sorely disappointed. And if it did happen to end ... well, I'll be darned and be forced to eat my words for saying something so foolish. The point is that, from my own Christian perspective, the world won't end. According to the Bible, no one will know when the Lord will end life on Earth. It will happen, that's that. This '2012' thing is just another Y2K. I am almost excited to see what happens now on 2012 ... how exciting!

And for your reading enjoyment, here is a man who believes he will save our lives by jumping through a portal on a certain Bell Rock in Sedona, Arizona. He thinks that December 21, 2012, a portal will open that he needs to jump into -- it will be the center of our galaxy. Here's the link, in case you want to learn more: http://www.1111invitation2012.info/1111 ... lcome.html

So, my take is that this is another Y2K. That's all. People are looking way too into it. Nothing's going to happen -- not until we least expect it. Besides, earlier in the year, some Christmas believe that the Rapture will begin. We can't predict anything -- it will just happen. Just live and let live, that's what I say (actually, I don't)! But, yes. Just continue living your life to however you want to live it, and don't worry about "2012". We'll be fine.
"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person.

Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth."

-- Oscar Wilde

206 Reviews

Reviews: 206
Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:47 pm
LadyPurple says...

Ranger Hawk wrote:
Big_Cheesy_Grin wrote:To be honest, I always figured the Mayans just ran out of stone.

Same. :D

Maybe the people from Spain that came and destroyed most everything back then had killed them before they could finish. *shrug* I'd like to think that was it. But I may be wrong.
You're new? Great seas! Why haven't you gone to the Buddy System yet?

You're dealing with writers. The words "normal" and "usual occurrence" do not compute.
~Rosey Unicorn

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:22 pm
tanteisherry says...

Well, I actually always wanted to know how our story ends, but I wouldn't mind a few more years either :D

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:44 pm
xiodinex says...

this made me laugh xD

but to be fair, you'd get a bit bored of writing out dates after 2000 and odd dates written down.
i never met a more impossible girl.

Random avatar

Reviews: 7
Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:00 am
RinSuru says...

No guys, it's for real, I even have a mysterious and crazy sounding conspiracy theory that must be true in how I interpret it for being mysterious as I have no idea where it came from. Oh, but I think it may have been a vivid dream inspired from a higher form.. Anyways here goes:

I remember seeing a bunch of newpaper headlines talking about insanity like succession from the union, and acknowledging the existance of Australia in reality and crazy end of the world stuff like that. But I promise, it was too vivid to be fake.This part of the dream wa so vivid I was able to write them all down with unbelievable, but true clarity.

"TEXAS SUCEEDS FROM THE UNION TODAY: Legal right held upon it's annexation in 1845"

"TEXAS FORMS ALLIANCE WITH MEXICO: Might of organized Mexican drug lords, not to be underestimated."

"TEXAS-MEXICO COALITION INVADES LOUISANA AND NEW MEXICO: Mexican troops already heavily entrenced in New Mexico, Lousiana's hold shakey, Oklahoma next?

"CANADA ODDLY NEUTRAL: Suspicions on French Canadian, anti-US/pro-expansionism arise"

"TEXAS-MEXICO COALITON'S SUCCESS ALARMING: Though racial tensions between Rednecks and Mexicans are on the rise."

"U.N. DISSOLVED TODAY: Canada, Spain, U.K., France, Germany, Pakistan, Russia, China, Japan and 40+ others form seperate alliance.

"FAULTY NUKE EXPLODES IN KOREA KILLING MILLIONS, CHAOS AND FIGHTING ENGULFS MID-EAST AND AFRICA: Australia quoted saying: "'WWIII? Not our problem.'"

And then it was crazy, I saw the most impossible stuff happen, then I woke up and everything i saw was detailed on a piece of paper on the desk where I was sleeping over, It had things far detailed beyond stuff I even remembered until I read it. I took the time to get it copied into one of these weird alien machines everyone uses these days, anyways here it is, it will all happen too I know it!

Then in January of 2012, 3D Realms manages to finally finish the real and true Duke Nukem Forever, which had been promised to gamers all over the globe since over 15 years ago. Flabberghasted, both hard scientists and religious zealots worked tirelessly to try and try deem why/how this is possible. Everything else is quickly forgotten, even basic necessities of life, as everyone else sits down to play the holy grail of gaming that was thought would never exist.

On December 25th, Aliens came out in the open. It turns out they had been living in places man had never been able to set foot in on their very own planet: The deep Antartica tundra, the ocean depths and even the center of the Earth. What had always appeared to be a molten core, was just a cloaking device hiding their main base on earth all along. Fed up with it all, they prepared to wipe it all out to start over.

However, a mad fool actually figured out a working method to determine the true exact number of licks it actually takes to get to the center of a tootsie pop. Upon discovering his research, the aliens rushed to try and stop him. They were the smallest possible fraction of a moment too late (which was the smallest fraction possible of the final moment in the year 2012). Upon that final, solidatary, irrifutably true lick, all reality had a buffer overflow. This broke everything, (unlike dividing by zero, which was not truly complete in it's power of breaking reality) and reformed everything ever known and unknown, possible and impossible into a completely single new and different reality: Self propagating, disembodied butts which multiply without end, eternally expanding the expanses of the universe to fill.

:P

It's a guilty plesure of mine, comming up with crazy off beat conspiracy theories that are not totally unbeliveable to someone out there, then imagining an over the top media circus and/or ironic chaos that ensues.

On the mayan calendar thing: It is what it is, a stone tablet with carvings we can only assume we have correctly deemed it's usage as a calendar by people of the place and time era on Earth it has been linked back to. Beyond the already mentioned y2k ridicilousness, I recall some short lived (like a day or two of ) misc hysteria in places all over the world. People were fearful that the world was ending upon the first startup of the Large Hadron Collider apparentely. This first firing was back in 2008 wasn't it? I remember that it broke down moments after going online the first time. I think one or two of the "giant magnetic parts" was manufactured faulty and did not live up to required levels of stress on them, I forget. The part(s) in question that broke, then allowed for the specialized liquid cooling compound to escape and ooze all over equipment. It ruined I forget how many billions (or was it in the trillions?) in damages, not to mention posing a difficult and tedious cleanup job. Then in the fall of 2009, it was momentarily shut down for a few weeks by way of the clearly nefarious plot of a bird and it's crusty piece of baguette looking bread :P

Why am I now imagining the image of an evil looking stork wearing a monacle and the stereotypical paris france hat/scarf flying over the exposed cooling system to drop an entire baguette, and finishing with the stereotypical french ( i think anyways) chef "oh ho hoh hoh hoh hoh!" type laugh before flying away as the ground explodes? XD

Anyways, I recall one girl in, I believe it was India, committed suicide for reasons linked to her not wanting to live to see the end of the world. It just make me think of what a silly bunch we can be, getting all worked up into hysterics with so very little push needed in many cases.
In the interest of actually getting somewhere and accomplishing something, I'll be 'wrong' and you can be 'right'.

40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:36 am
Nyx says...

Okay so i just read through the whole discussion and thought i would have my say.

The Mayans made a calendar the finishes in 2012, so what? Yes they were advanced for their time period. They studied the stars and did many other things that could be considered great. However i personally don't think that just because the Mayans made a calendar means that the world will end.

There is so many things that could of happened that we can not account for... what if the Spanish invaded before they could finish? Or the great city fell before they could move the calendar? Or they truly did run out of stone?

Another fact is that the date which the world will 'end' is the 21st December 2012, which also happens to be the winter solstice.

Just digressing here, but it is also said that because 2012 is also the year that the Zodiac signs change over that could be a contributing factor.

So overall, it all comes down to what you believe in as to if the world will end. In may case i plan to live well past 2012 if it is apart of my future. :D